The audio clip circulated on various social media platforms following which Mumbai Police launched a probe, an official said, adding that it is suspected that similar threats were issued to many others across the country.
Bollywood actor Ranveer Singh and filmmaker Rohit Shetty have reportedly received threats via an audio clip, allegedly from a member of the Lawrence Bishnoi gang. Mumbai Police have launched an investigation into the threats, which follow a previous threat to Singh and a shooting incident at Shetty's residence.
Heavy security was deployed outside the building and the forensic science team also reached the spot to collect evidence, the official said.
The gang is operated by gangster Lawrence Bishnoi who is in jail in India.
A 68-year-old Indian-origin businessman named Darshan Singh Sahsi was killed in Canada's Abbotsford on Monday morning, reported the Vancouver Sun.
The crime branch had arrested Aditya Gayaki (19), Siddharth Yenpure (20), Samarth Pomaji (18), Swapnil Sakat (23) and Asaram Fasale, who had allegedly provided a scooter and other logistic support and weapons to the shooter, the official said.
The deceased has been identified as Naveen Kumar, who was wanted in multiple cases, including for murder and under the Maharashtra Control of Organised Crime Act (MCOCA), a senior police officer said.
Mumbai Police have arrested a fifth person in connection with the firing at filmmaker Rohit Shetty's residence, suspecting a link to the Lawrence Bishnoi gang through an absconding member, Shubham Lonkar.
'These gangsters want to once again spread terror across the film industry, just as they had done in 1999-2000.'
An accused in the 2020 murder of gangster Goldy Brar's cousin was fatally shot in Mohali. Police suspect Brar's involvement, citing threats and a social media claim of responsibility.
The Punjab Police action came amid its ongoing crackdown against gangsters in the state.
Another threat has been issued to Bollywood actor Salman Khan, with the sender demanding Rs 5 crore on 'behalf of the Lawrence Bishnoi gang', officials said on Friday.
A police constable has been suspended after it was found that he failed to verify a fake address in Meerut resulting in the issuance of a passport for a suspected member of the Lawrence Bishnoi gang, officials said on Friday.
Though the police have not found their links in Siddique's murder case as of now, the accused were being further interrogated, she said.
Shubham Lonkar, the mastermind and wanted accused in Nationalist Congress Party leader Baba Siddique's murder had allegedly planned the murder of Aftab Poonawala, the accused arrested in the gruesome Shraddha Walker murder case, sources said.
India and Canada have agreed to enhance security cooperation, including combating terrorism and transnational crimes, following Canada's decision to list the Lawrence Bishnoi gang as a terrorist entity.
A day after a major Inter-Services Intelligence-backed multi-state gangster-terror module was busted in Ludhiana, the Punjab Police on Friday said the two arrested operatives were tasked to carry out grenade attacks in government buildings and other sensitive locations in the border state.
Incidentally, the allegations come at a time when Lawrence Bishnoi is in the news in India for his alleged involvement in the murder of Nationalist Congress Party leader Baba Siddique in Mumbai.
During the briefing, Jaiswal reiterated that so far no evidence has been shared by Canada.
He heard a firecracker-like sound while being asleep at his residence in Galaxy Apartments in the early hours of April 14, Khan told police.
According to a police official, they have come across a viral post on social media in the name of an alleged member of the Lawrence Bishnoi gang claiming responsibility for Baba Siddique's murder.
Three policemen have been suspended for alleged negligence in duty, taking cognisance of videos in which a sharpshooter of Lawrence Bishnoi gang interacts with reporters while in police custody and comments on Nationalist Congress Party leader Baba Siddique's killing, officials said on Saturday.
The incident occurred early Thursday at Kap's Cafe, located at 85 Avenue and Scott Road.
The police said the four were in touch with jailed gangster Lawrence Bishnoi, and his younger brother Anmol Bishnoi and had recced the farmhouse and places where Salman Khan "worked" at the behest of the Bishnoi brothers.
A profile of incarcerated gangster Lawrence Bishnoi, detailing his criminal history, terror links, and Canada's recent designation of his gang as a terrorist entity.
The Mumbai police are planning to regulate the entry and exit of visitors at Galaxy Apartments, the residence of Bollywood actor Salman Khan in Bandra, following incidents of trespassing on the premises. The actor, who has received threats from the Lawrence Bishnoi gang, has already been provided Y-plus security cover. Earlier this week, the police arrested a man and a woman for allegedly separately trespassing at Khan's building. The official said considering threats the actor has received and trespassing incidents, the police are thinking of regulating the entry of visitors and improving the security arrangements. He said since it is a private building, checking every visitor can be a challenge. According to sources, new visitors will be required to confirm their identity from the residents of the building to gain entry.
'Jitni umar likhi hai, utni likhi hai. Bas yahin hai.'
The STF team received specific input regarding the movement of the accused in Bahadurgarh.
He is allegedly a member of the Lawrence Bishnoi and Goldie Brar gangs, the official said.
An official posted at the traffic police control room then alerted seniors about the message, based on which the Worli police here registered a case against the unidentified person under section 351(2) (3) (criminal intimidation) of the Bharatiya Nyaya Sanhita, he said.
Gang member Lucky has taken responsibility for the murder, said Bhara.
The Mumbai police have issued a notice to the 26-year-old man, resident of a village in Waghodia taluka in Vadodara, to appear before them.
The raids were carried out in Punjab, Haryana, Rajasthan, Uttar Pradesh, Delhi and the Union Territory of Chandigarh by the NIA as part of a mega operation that began early Thursday morning, a spokesperson of the premier investigating agency said.
Was Saif targeted by criminal gangs like Salman Khan was targeted by the Lawrence Bishnoi gang?
Former Maharashtra MLA and NCP leader Zeeshan Siddique has received a death threat via email, demanding Rs 10 crore and threatening to "kill him the same way" as his father, Baba Siddique, who was shot dead last year. The sender claimed to be a member of the D-company and warned Zeeshan not to contact police. Police have launched a probe into the death threat and extortion demand.
The Navi Mumbai police have apprehended an accused wanted in connection with an alleged plot to kill Bollywood actor Salman Khan, an official said.
The fresh threat comes in the wake of the recent murder of Nationalist Congress Party leader Baba Siddique.
The city's traffic control room on Thursday received the Rs 5 crore threat message on its WhatsApp helpline, police earlier said.
The threat message was received on the Mumbai traffic police helpline and an officer read it around midnight, the official said.
Two persons including a man who allegedly opened fire outside Bollywood actor Salman Khan's residence in Mumbai have been arrested from Gujarat, police said on Tuesday.