News for 'Dantewada'

7 Maoists, 3 DRG jawans killed in Chhattisgarh encounter

7 Maoists, 3 DRG jawans killed in Chhattisgarh encounter

Rediff.com3 Dec 2025

Inspector general of police, Bastar Range, Sundarraj P said that bodies of seven Maoist cadres have been recovered from the encounter site so far.

Woman among 3 Maoists carrying 12 lakh bounty killed in Chhattisgarh

Woman among 3 Maoists carrying 12 lakh bounty killed in Chhattisgarh

Rediff.com18 Dec 2025

Three Naxalites, including a woman, carrying a reward of Rs 12 lakh, were killed in an encounter with security personnel in Chhattisgarh's Sukma district. The encounter took place in Gondiguda, and a large cache of arms and explosives were recovered.

Maoists murder suspected police informer in Dantewada

Maoists murder suspected police informer in Dantewada

Rediff.com5 Feb 2025

A 30-year-old man was hacked to death by Naxalites in Chhattisgarh's Dantewada district on the suspicion of being a police informer. The incident comes close on the heels of the murder of two men, one of them a former Naxalite, in neighbouring Bijapur district two days ago. The two were killed by Naxalites, as per the police. Earlier on January 26, Naxalites killed a 41-year-old man in Bhairamgarh area of Bijapur, accusing him of being an informer. On January 16, Naxalites killed a 48-year-old man in Mirtur area of Bijapur for the same reason.

North Bastar, Abujhmad Maoist-free: Chhattisgarh CM

North Bastar, Abujhmad Maoist-free: Chhattisgarh CM

Rediff.com16 Oct 2025

Chhattisgarh Chief Minister Vishnu Deo Sai announced that North Bastar and Abujhmad regions are now free of Naxal violence, with the fight against Naxalism in South Bastar reaching a decisive phase. He attributes this success to trust-building measures and the surrender of Naxal cadres.

How Maoist Bhupati Surrendered

How Maoist Bhupati Surrendered

Rediff.com17 Oct 2025

'The biggest game changer has been the belief among Maoists that they can surrender and join the mainstream'

Sachin Tendulkar Foundation eyes sports icon from Naxalite area

Sachin Tendulkar Foundation eyes sports icon from Naxalite area

Rediff.com15 Jun 2025

The administration has introduced 'Maidan Cup' in collaboration with the Mann Deshi Foundation and Sachin Tendulkar Foundation, under which 50 playgrounds will be developed in Dantewada to boost sports culture and talent.

Sujatha's Surrender Weakens Maoists

Sujatha's Surrender Weakens Maoists

Rediff.com15 Sep 2025

'Sujatha's decision to surrender reflects the deep crisis of confidence that the Maoist ranks are facing in recent times.'

Three Maoists killed in encounter with police in Chhattisgarh's Dantewada

Three Maoists killed in encounter with police in Chhattisgarh's Dantewada

Rediff.com24 Dec 2023

A cache of explosives and weapons was also seized from the encounter site, he added.

Long hunt ends: Maoist chief Basavaraju gunned down

Long hunt ends: Maoist chief Basavaraju gunned down

Rediff.com21 May 2025

Nambala Keshav Rao alias Basavaraju, the powerful general secretary of Communist Party of India-Maoist killed in an encounter along with 26 others on Wednesday, had masterminded several major attacks on security forces in Chhattisgarh and his death is a big blow to the armed movement, said officials.

Tribals Fear New Threats As Naxalism Fades

Tribals Fear New Threats As Naxalism Fades

Rediff.com27 Jun 2025

If the threat from the 'Maovadis' (Maoists) is fading, the danger now lies with the 'MoUvadis' -- those who might exploit the resource-rich Abujhmad region through corporate or State-backed projects.

Top Maoist ideologue Sudhakar killed in Chhattisgarh encounter

Top Maoist ideologue Sudhakar killed in Chhattisgarh encounter

Rediff.com5 Jun 2025

Originally hailing from Andhra Pradesh, the 67-year-old was involved in indoctrination and radicalization of youth and also responsible for numerous Maoist attacks in Chhattisgarh, resulting in the death of civilians and security personnel, they said.

'I Am Tired Of Seeing Dead Bodies'

'I Am Tired Of Seeing Dead Bodies'

Rediff.com22 Apr 2025

'Many of them are mutilated beyond recognition. Every day an encounter takes place.' 'Bastar has been burnt to ash.'

Maoists blame surrendered cadres for Basavaraju's killing

Maoists blame surrendered cadres for Basavaraju's killing

Rediff.com27 May 2025

Maoists have admitted that 28 cadres, including their top leader Basavaraju, were killed in an encounter with security forces in Chhattisgarh's Bastar region last week. The Naxals also claimed that some of their cadres had surrendered to police and provided information that led to the operation. Police have recovered a large cache of weapons, including an AK-47 looted by Basavaraju from security forces in a 2010 ambush.

'Forces struck jungles when Naxals were busy in tactical meeting''

'Forces struck jungles when Naxals were busy in tactical meeting''

Rediff.com21 Mar 2025

Security forces killed at least 26 Naxalites in a fierce exchange in Bijapur district of Chhattisgarh, while four more were gunned down in Kanker district, the state's Deputy Chief Minister Vijay Sharma said on Friday. The encounter, which occurred on Thursday, took place while the Naxalites were gathered for a Tactical Counter Offensive Campaign (TCOC) meeting, a period observed between March and June. The Deputy CM hailed the operation as a major achievement against the Naxals.

8 DRG jawans among 9 killed as Maoists blow up vehicle in Chhattisgarh

8 DRG jawans among 9 killed as Maoists blow up vehicle in Chhattisgarh

Rediff.com6 Jan 2025

Eight District Reserve Guards (DRG) jawans and a civilian driver were killed in Chhattisgarh's Bijapur district when Naxals detonated an improvised explosive device targeting their vehicle. The incident occurred near Ambeli village while the security personnel were returning from an anti-Naxalite operation. This is the biggest Naxal attack on security forces in the region in the past two years.

Maoist attack: Will establish peace in Chhattisgarh, says CM Sai

Maoist attack: Will establish peace in Chhattisgarh, says CM Sai

Rediff.com7 Jan 2025

Eight police personnel and a civilian driver were killed in a Naxal blast in Chhattisgarh's Bijapur district on Monday. The blast, which was carried out using a 60-70 kg improvised explosive device (IED), occurred near Ambeli village under Kutru police station area. The victims were travelling in an SUV when the blast occurred. The incident marks the biggest attack on security forces in Chhattisgarh in two years. Chief Minister Vishnu Deo Sai and other state leaders paid homage to the deceased at a wreath-laying ceremony in Dantewada.

Dantewada attack: Tragic end for 5 ex-Maoists who sought fresh start as cops

Dantewada attack: Tragic end for 5 ex-Maoists who sought fresh start as cops

Rediff.com27 Apr 2023

Of the ten police personnel who lost their lives in a Maoist attack in Chhattisgarh's Dantewada district, five had joined the force after quitting Maoist violence, a senior official said on Thursday.

Two women among 7 Maoists killed in encounter in Chhattisgarh

Two women among 7 Maoists killed in encounter in Chhattisgarh

Rediff.com12 Dec 2024

Seven Naxalites, including two women, were killed in an encounter with security forces in Chhattisgarh's Narayanpur district. The gunfight broke out in the early hours of Thursday in the forest of south Abujhmad, along the border of Narayanpur and Dantewada districts. A large cache of weapons and daily use items were recovered from the spot. This incident brings the total number of Naxalites killed in encounters in the Bastar division this year to 215.

10 policemen killed in Dantewada as Maoists trigger IED with 40 kg explosives

10 policemen killed in Dantewada as Maoists trigger IED with 40 kg explosives

Rediff.com26 Apr 2023

Naxalites blew up the mini-goods van in which the security personnel were travelling by using an Improvised Explosive Device (IED), police sources said.

Maoists call for peace talks as search op in Chhattisgarh enters Day 5

Maoists call for peace talks as search op in Chhattisgarh enters Day 5

Rediff.com25 Apr 2025

A massive anti-Naxal operation involving around 10,000 security personnel along the Chhattisgarh-Telangana border entered its fifth day on Friday, with the Maoists reportedly issuing a statement calling for a halt to the exercise and initiating "peace talks." The statement, circulating on social media, claims that the government is resorting to repression and violence despite the possibility of resolving the issue through dialogue. The operation, considered one of the largest counter-insurgency actions in the Bastar region, involves personnel from various units including the Chhattisgarh police, the Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF), and its elite CoBRA unit. The operation, launched on Monday in the densely forested hills of Karregutta and Durgamgutta along the inter-state border, is aimed at targeting PLGA battalion No. 1, the strongest military formation of the Maoists.

4 Maoists, cop killed in Chhattisgarh encounter; AK-47, SLR recovered

4 Maoists, cop killed in Chhattisgarh encounter; AK-47, SLR recovered

Rediff.com5 Jan 2025

Four Naxalites were killed in an encounter with security forces in Chhattisgarh's Bastar region. A head constable of the District Reserve Guard (DRG) was also killed in the face-off.

IED used in Dantewada blast planted by Maoists 2 months ago: Police

IED used in Dantewada blast planted by Maoists 2 months ago: Police

Rediff.com28 Apr 2023

The explosive, however, remained "undetected" during the demining exercise conducted a day before the attack on Wednesday, they said.

30 Maoists, cop killed in 2 encounters in Chhattisgarh; toll 113 in 2025

30 Maoists, cop killed in 2 encounters in Chhattisgarh; toll 113 in 2025

Rediff.com20 Mar 2025

In a fresh offensive against Naxals, security forces killed at least 30 members of the banned CPI-Maoists in two separate encounters in Chhattisgarh's Bastar region on Thursday, officials said.

High alert in Chhattisgarh, Jharkhand as Maoists escalate IED attacks

High alert in Chhattisgarh, Jharkhand as Maoists escalate IED attacks

Rediff.com23 Mar 2025

An alert has been sounded in the anti-Naxal operations theatre of Chhattisgarh and Jharkhand following a "spike" in IED blasts and recoveries, including that of a device rigged with beer bottles and a small antenna for remote control explosion. The uptick in improvised explosive device (IED) recovery and blasts has been noticed as multiple security forces move into core Naxal areas to meet the Union government's deadline of wiping off Left Wing Extremism (LWE) from the country by March 2026.

How security forces gunned down 31 Naxalites

How security forces gunned down 31 Naxalites

Rediff.com6 Oct 2024

A cache of weapons, including an AK-47 rifle, one SLR (self-loading rifle), one INSAS rifle, one LMG rifle and one .303 rifle were also recovered from the encounter spot.

Two women among 5 Maoists killed in Chhattisgarh encounter

Two women among 5 Maoists killed in Chhattisgarh encounter

Rediff.com12 Jan 2025

Three Maoists were killed in an encounter with security personnel in Chhattisgarh's Bijapur district on Sunday. The gunfight broke out in the morning at a forest in the Indravati National Park area when a joint team of security personnel was out on an anti-Naxalite operation. The bodies of the three Naxalites were recovered along with firearms and explosives.

28 Maoists killed in Bastar; AK-47, SLR recovered: ANI

28 Maoists killed in Bastar; AK-47, SLR recovered: ANI

Rediff.com5 Oct 2024

As many as 14 Maoists were killed in an encounter with security personnel in Chhattisgarh's Bastar region on Friday, a senior police official said. However, ANI has put the toll at 30.

6 women among 9 Naxals gunned down in Bastar

6 women among 9 Naxals gunned down in Bastar

Rediff.com3 Sep 2024

With this incident, 154 Naxalites have been gunned down by the security forces in different encounters in Chhattisgarh so far this year, the police said.

11 women among 31 Naxals gunned down in Chhattisgarh

11 women among 31 Naxals gunned down in Chhattisgarh

Rediff.com10 Feb 2025

In one of the deadliest blows to Naxalites in Chhattisgarh, security forces on Sunday gunned down 31 rebels, including 11 women, in a fierce encounter in the state's Bijapur district, police said.

Chhattisgarh Maoist encounter toll rises to 31 as 3 more bodies recovered

Chhattisgarh Maoist encounter toll rises to 31 as 3 more bodies recovered

Rediff.com5 Oct 2024

With this, the number of Maoists killed in the gun battle with the security personnel on Friday has risen to 31, they said, adding that a search operation is still underway in the area.

Cong's Devti Karma wins Dantewada assembly bypoll

Cong's Devti Karma wins Dantewada assembly bypoll

Rediff.com27 Sep 2019

Congress's Devti Karma won the bypoll for the seat, reserved for Scheduled Tribes, by a margin of 11,192 votes, a poll official said.

In a first, tricolour to be hoisted in Chhattisgarh's 13 Maoist-hit villages

In a first, tricolour to be hoisted in Chhattisgarh's 13 Maoist-hit villages

Rediff.com15 Aug 2024

Setting up new camps of security forces in these villages in the last seven months has been paving the way for development of the respective areas, they said.

8 Naxals, 1 STF jawan killed in Chhattisgarh encounter

8 Naxals, 1 STF jawan killed in Chhattisgarh encounter

Rediff.com15 Jun 2024

Eight Naxalites and a jawan of the Special Task Force (STF) were killed in an encounter in Chhattisgarh's Narayanpur district on Saturday, police said.

Dantewada attack: PC accepts full responsibility

Dantewada attack: PC accepts full responsibility

Rediff.com9 Apr 2010

Home Minister P Chidambaram on Friday accepted 'full responsibility' for the Dantewada massacre, saying, "The buck stops at my desk".A group of over 1,000 Maoists had slaughtered 75 Central Reserve Police Force personnel in an ambush in the thick forests of Mukrana in Dantewada, Chhatisgarh on Tuesday. "I have been asked directly or indirectly where the buck stops after the attack. The buck stops at my desk," he said at a CRPF function in New Delhi.

2 STF jawans killed, 4 hurt in Maoist attack in Chhattisgarh

2 STF jawans killed, 4 hurt in Maoist attack in Chhattisgarh

Rediff.com18 Jul 2024

The incident took place on Wednesday night in Tarrem area when a joint team of security personnel was returning after an anti-Maoist operation in forests on the tri-junction of Bijapur-Sukma-Dantewada districts, a police official said in Bijapur.

Ahead of polls, BJP MLA, 4 others killed by Naxals in Dantewada

Ahead of polls, BJP MLA, 4 others killed by Naxals in Dantewada

Rediff.com10 Apr 2019

Prime Minister Narendra Modi strongly condemned the attack.

Maoist behind killing of 3 cops killed in encounter in Chhattisgarh

Maoist behind killing of 3 cops killed in encounter in Chhattisgarh

Rediff.com17 Jan 2024

The skirmish took place in the forest near Mangnar village under Barsur police station limits, he said.

Dantewada Maoist attack: Inquiry submits report

Dantewada Maoist attack: Inquiry submits report

Rediff.com30 Jun 2010

A court of inquiry (CoI), set up by the Central Reserve Police Force to probe "specific acts of omission and commission" by an inspecter general and three other officers in connection with the April six Dantewada naxal attack, submitted its report on Wednesday to the force headquarters in New Delhi.

Naxals 'welcome' Dantewada probe with gunshots

Naxals 'welcome' Dantewada probe with gunshots

Rediff.com17 Apr 2010

Former Border Security Force director general E N Rammohan, appointed to inquire into the circumstances leading to the massacre of 76 security personnel by Naxals in Chhattisgarh's Dantewada district, has begun his probe.

Dantewada: Police constable shot dead by Naxals

Dantewada: Police constable shot dead by Naxals

Rediff.com4 Jul 2012

Suspected Naxals on Tuesday shot dead a 25-year-old trainee police constable in a crowded market place at Bhansi town in Dantewada district of Chhattisgarh, the police said.