News for 'anti-terrorism-squad'

2-Wheeler Linked Pragya To Malegaon Blast, Also Got Her Freed

2-Wheeler Linked Pragya To Malegaon Blast, Also Got Her Freed

Rediff.com31 Jul 2025

Unfortunately for the prosecution, the chassis number that the investigation was relying on to implicate Pragya failed as the court said in its judgment that the chassis number of the two-wheeler had been wiped out and therefore it could not be connected to Pragya.

Malegaon witness alleges ATS tried to frame Yogi; court discards claim

Malegaon witness alleges ATS tried to frame Yogi; court discards claim

Rediff.com2 Aug 2025

A witness in the 2008 Malegaon blast case claimed he was tortured and forced by the Maharashtra ATS to name Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Yogi Adityanath. The special court acquitted all seven accused, citing unreliable evidence and involuntary statements.

Chronology: How 7/11 Mumbai train blasts case unfolded

Chronology: How 7/11 Mumbai train blasts case unfolded

Rediff.com21 Jul 2025

A timeline of the key events in the 2006 Mumbai train blasts case, culminating in the acquittal of all 12 accused by the Bombay High Court.

Delhi police busts 'Khilafat' terror module linked to Pakistan

Delhi police busts 'Khilafat' terror module linked to Pakistan

Rediff.com12 Sep 2025

The Delhi police Special Cell has busted a terror module with links to Pakistan and arrested five suspected operatives after raids across multiple states, an official said on Thursday.

Was tortured to name Modi in Malegaon blast case: Pragya Thakur

Was tortured to name Modi in Malegaon blast case: Pragya Thakur

Rediff.com2 Aug 2025

Former BJP MP Pragya Singh Thakur, acquitted in the 2008 Malegaon blast case, alleges torture by investigating officers and pressure to implicate Prime Minister Narendra Modi and other prominent figures.

Court debunks Abhinav Bharat's role in Malegaon blast case

Court debunks Abhinav Bharat's role in Malegaon blast case

Rediff.com2 Aug 2025

A special court acquitted seven individuals in the 2008 Malegaon blast case, challenging the prosecution's assertion that the right-wing group Abhinav Bharat was responsible. The court emphasized that the organization remains unbanned by the government.

Thane engineer held in espionage case seeks bail, cites career loss

Thane engineer held in espionage case seeks bail, cites career loss

Rediff.com25 Jun 2025

In his bail plea filed recently before the Thane magistrate's court, Verma pleaded innocence, contending that the allegations, even though serious, "are subject to proof beyond reasonable doubt during trial".

Radicalised by Zakir Naik, Siddique lone wolf with IED skills: Andhra cop

Radicalised by Zakir Naik, Siddique lone wolf with IED skills: Andhra cop

Rediff.com5 Jul 2025

Andhra Pradesh police identified one of the terror suspects arrested by Tamil Nadu police as a 'big fish' with advanced bomb-making skills. The suspect, Abubacker Siddique, is believed to be a lone wolf influenced by radical preacher Zakir Naik and an expert in making IEDs.

Are you spying for Pak? Mumbai woman duped of Rs 22 lakh

Are you spying for Pak? Mumbai woman duped of Rs 22 lakh

Rediff.com18 Jun 2025

Cyber fraudsters posing as Delhi ATS and Jammu & Kashmir police personnel cheated an elderly woman from Mumbai of Rs 22 lakh after accusing her of spying for Pakistan, officials said on Wednesday.

5 judges, 2 agencies: The long road to Malegaon blast verdict

5 judges, 2 agencies: The long road to Malegaon blast verdict

Rediff.com31 Jul 2025

The 2008 Malegaon bomb blast case, spanning nearly 17 years, was marked by changes in investigating agencies and five different judges, contributing to significant delays, according to victims and accused.

Malegaon blast case: 14 arrested, only 7 faced trial

Malegaon blast case: 14 arrested, only 7 faced trial

Rediff.com31 Jul 2025

Here's the list of the seven accused who faced trial in the 2008 Malegaon blast case.

2008 Malegaon blast case: How investigation unfolded

2008 Malegaon blast case: How investigation unfolded

Rediff.com31 Jul 2025

A detailed timeline of the 2008 Malegaon blasts case, from the initial explosion to the acquittal of all accused in 2025.

UP: ED probes Chhangur Baba's Rs 106 cr conversion racket

UP: ED probes Chhangur Baba's Rs 106 cr conversion racket

Rediff.com10 Jul 2025

The Enforcement Directorate (ED) is investigating the assets and finances of Jalaluddin alias Chhangur Baba, the alleged mastermind of an illegal religious-conversion racket in Uttar Pradesh. The ED has written to various authorities and banks to gather information and is expected to seek custodial remand for questioning.

Malegaon case: Court notes discrepancies in ATS, NIA probe

Malegaon case: Court notes discrepancies in ATS, NIA probe

Rediff.com1 Aug 2025

A special court, in its acquittal order in the 2008 Malegaon blast case, has highlighted a running battle between the Maharashtra Anti-Terrorism Squad (ATS) and the National Investigation Agency (NIA), pointing out stark contradictions in their probe.

What Was Malegaon Blast Case About?

What Was Malegaon Blast Case About?

Rediff.com31 Jul 2025

For the first time a serving army officer was accused of terrorism.

Malegaon case verdict likely on Thursday; Pragya's fate in balance

Malegaon case verdict likely on Thursday; Pragya's fate in balance

Rediff.com30 Jul 2025

A special NIA court is likely to deliver its verdict in the 2008 Malegaon blast case, which killed six persons and injured over 100. Seven accused, including Pragya Thakur and Prasad Purohit, face charges under UAPA and IPC.

Maharashtra: Defence firm engineer held for spying for Pakistan

Maharashtra: Defence firm engineer held for spying for Pakistan

Rediff.com29 May 2025

Maharashtra's elite Anti-Terrorism Squad (ATS) has arrested a Thane-based junior engineer on charges of spying, alleging that he provided sensitive defence information to a Pakistani intelligence operative who honey-trapped him online, officials said on Thursday.

Anti-Terrorism Squad arrests 3

Anti-Terrorism Squad arrests 3

Rediff.com3 Aug 2006

One of those arrested is suspected to be connected with the Aurangabad arms seizure case.

17 yrs after Malegaon blast, NIA court acquits all 7 accused

17 yrs after Malegaon blast, NIA court acquits all 7 accused

Rediff.com31 Jul 2025

Nearly 17 years after a blast in Malegaon town of north Maharashtra claimed six lives, a special court in Mumbai on Thursday acquitted all the seven accused, including former Bharatiya Janata Party MP Pragya Singh Thakur and Lieutenant Colonel Prasad Purohit, noting there was 'no reliable and cogent evidence' against them.

Malegaon blast case judgment likely on July 31

Malegaon blast case judgment likely on July 31

Rediff.com8 May 2025

A Special NIA court in Mumbai has reserved the judgment in the 2008 Malegaon blast case for July 31. The court said the case has voluminous documents and needs time to deliver the verdict. The blast, which occurred in September 2008, killed six people and injured over 100. Seven accused, including Lt Col Prasad Purohit and BJP leader Pragya Thakur, are facing trial in the case.

How ATS Messed Up 7/11 Case

How ATS Messed Up 7/11 Case

Rediff.com22 Jul 2025

The investigation for 7/11 blast in which 189 people died was under question mark from the very first month after the Mumbai Anti-Terrorism Squad started arresting the accused from different parts of city. Within 10 days of blast by July 22, 2006, ATS arrested all the 13 terror accused in the case under the leadership of ATS chief, K P Raghuvanshi.

ISIS-linked terror accused Saquib Nachan dies in hospital

ISIS-linked terror accused Saquib Nachan dies in hospital

Rediff.com28 Jun 2025

In 2023, the National Investigation Agency (NIA) had carried out searches at Padgha as part of a nationwide crackdown on the terror outfit ISIS and arrested several persons, including Nachan.

'Shocked by verdict': Mumbai police ex-chief defends 7/11 blasts probe

'Shocked by verdict': Mumbai police ex-chief defends 7/11 blasts probe

Rediff.com23 Jul 2025

Former Mumbai police commissioner A N Roy expressed shock over the Bombay High Court's acquittal of all 12 accused in the 7/11 train blasts case, defending the police investigation and expressing confidence in an appeal to the Supreme Court.

HC acquits all 12 accused in 2006 Mumbai blasts case

HC acquits all 12 accused in 2006 Mumbai blasts case

Rediff.com21 Jul 2025

The Bombay High Court acquitted all 12 accused in the 2006 Mumbai train blasts case, citing a failure by the prosecution to prove their guilt and raising serious concerns about the investigation and evidence presented.

Engineer leaked warship, submarine secrets to Pak for money: Police

Engineer leaked warship, submarine secrets to Pak for money: Police

Rediff.com30 May 2025

It was found that he had shared information about various warships and submarines to the Pakistani Intelligence Operative, another official said.

Judge in Malegaon blast case gets extension till Aug 31

Judge in Malegaon blast case gets extension till Aug 31

Rediff.com17 Apr 2025

The Bombay High Court has extended the tenure of special NIA judge A K Lahoti, who is conducting trial in the 2008 Malegaon blast case, till August 31. Lahoti's name featured in the annual transfer list of judges, issued earlier by the registrar general of the high court. The transfer order was to come into effect after the reopening of courts on June 9 following summer vacation. However, a fresh notification mentioned that Lahoti's tenure has been stayed till August 31, enabling him to pass the verdict in the case that is in the final stage of trial.

Vlogger, Security Guard, Student...

Vlogger, Security Guard, Student...

Rediff.com19 May 2025

Security agencies have identified 11 Indians who spied for Pakistan. Look at what they did for a living.

Maha ATS detains 12 in Thane over SIMI links, terror probe

Maha ATS detains 12 in Thane over SIMI links, terror probe

Rediff.com2 Jun 2025

The Thane unit of the ATS, with the assistance of the Thane rural police, started searches around 4 am at Padgha and Borivali villages in the district adjoining Mumbai, an official said without giving case details.

7 Blasts, 11 Minutes: When Mumbai's Heart Was Bombed

7 Blasts, 11 Minutes: When Mumbai's Heart Was Bombed

Rediff.com11 Jul 2025

Nineteen years later, remembering how terror struck Mumbai's lifeline on July 11, 2006.

UP man arrested for spying, travelled to Pak several times

UP man arrested for spying, travelled to Pak several times

Rediff.com19 May 2025

Shahzad was apprehended on Sunday by the STF Moradabad unit following inputs about his alleged involvement in cross-border smuggling and espionage activities for the ISI.

IPS Deven Bharti takes over as Mumbai Police commissioner

IPS Deven Bharti takes over as Mumbai Police commissioner

Rediff.com1 May 2025

Deven Bharti, a veteran IPS officer with experience in high-profile cases including the 26/11 Mumbai terror attacks, has assumed charge as the new commissioner of Mumbai police. He emphasized the importance of effective policing, citizen engagement, and combating cybercrime as key priorities for his tenure. Bharti, known for his investigative skills, previously served in various roles within the Mumbai Police and Maharashtra Anti-Terrorism Squad.

Malegaon trial ends 17 yrs after blast, verdict on May 8

Malegaon trial ends 17 yrs after blast, verdict on May 8

Rediff.com19 Apr 2025

A special court in India has reserved its verdict in the 2008 Malegaon blast case, which killed six people and injured over 100. The trial began nearly 17 years after the bombing in the town of Malegaon, located in Maharashtra. The prosecution concluded its final arguments on Saturday, marking the end of the hearings. Seven individuals, including Lieutenant Colonel Prasad Purohit and BJP leader Pragya Thakur, are facing charges under the Unlawful Activities Prevention Act (UAPA) and the Indian Penal Code (IPC). The verdict is expected to be delivered on May 8th.

Malegaon judge transferred days before verdict; victims cry foul

Malegaon judge transferred days before verdict; victims cry foul

Rediff.com6 Apr 2025

Special NIA court judge AK Lahoti, conducting trial in the 2008 Malegaon blast case, has been transferred to Nashik just days before the court was likely to reserve the matter for judgement. The transfer order, issued by the registrar general of the Bombay High Court, will come into effect on June 9. The order directs the judge to finish judgments in all cases where hearing has concluded and to dispose of part-heard cases before handing over charge. In the last hearing on Saturday, judge Lahoti directed the prosecution and defense to wrap up the remaining arguments by April 15 and was expected to reserve the matter for judgement the following day, a defense lawyer said.

31 Bangladeshis held in TN for illegal stay using fake documents

31 Bangladeshis held in TN for illegal stay using fake documents

Rediff.com12 Jan 2025

According to officials, the arrests followed a tip-off that a large number of Bangladeshi nationals were staying in banyan companies in the region using fake Aadhaar cards.

Woman threatens to kill Adityanath like Baba Siddique in 10 days, held

Woman threatens to kill Adityanath like Baba Siddique in 10 days, held

Rediff.com3 Nov 2024

The woman, identified as Fatima Khan, who has done B.Sc in Information Technology, resided in Ulhasnagar area of neighbouring Thane district of Maharashtra with her family members.

Mumbai court conducting Malegaon blast trial gets bomb threat

Mumbai court conducting Malegaon blast trial gets bomb threat

Rediff.com5 Nov 2024

A police official said they were verifying the details but no First Information Report has been registered yet.

HC ends monitoring of Pansare murder probe, orders to expedite trial

HC ends monitoring of Pansare murder probe, orders to expedite trial

Rediff.com2 Jan 2025

The Bombay High Court has discontinued its monitoring of the investigation into the 2015 murder of communist leader and rationalist writer Govind Pansare, directing the sessions court to expedite the ongoing trial. The decision comes after a report by the Maharashtra Anti-Terrorism Squad (ATS) indicated that the investigation has been thoroughly conducted, with only the arrest of two absconding accused remaining. The court has ordered daily hearings for the trial, which has already begun and has seen 28 prosecution witnesses examined as of December 16, 2024.

Main accused in Deoband blasts arrested from Srinagar after 31 years

Main accused in Deoband blasts arrested from Srinagar after 31 years

Rediff.com19 Nov 2024

Nazir Ahmed Wani, the main accused in the 1993 Deoband bomb blasts, has been arrested in Srinagar after evading capture for 31 years. Wani, wanted for his involvement in the bomb attacks, was arrested by a joint operation of the Uttar Pradesh Anti-Terrorism Squad (ATS) and local police. The blasts occurred during communal violence in Deoband following the demolition of the Babri Masjid in 1992.

Maximum punishment will send strong message: Malegaon blast victims

Maximum punishment will send strong message: Malegaon blast victims

Rediff.com22 Oct 2024

The prosecution has proved the entire chain that connected the accused with each other for achieving the goal of executing the bomb blast and perform terrorist acts, the written statement, filed by the intervenor for the victims, said.