Food blogger and Rediff reader Charulatha Rao sent us this yummy dessert recipe made from brown rice.
Have you e-mailed us your favourite recipe?
Brown Rice Kheer or payasam is a healthy dessert made with brown rice and jaggery and garnished with cashews and raisins.
Brown rice is healthy as it's rich in fibre while jaggery is full of iron, which makes it a double healthy treat.
Here's the recipe for Brown Rice Kheer:
- 1/4 cup brown rice
- 1/2 cup grated or powdered jaggery
- 500 ml full cream milk
- 1/4 tsp cardamom powder
- A few cashew nuts and raisins
- 2 tbsp ghee
- Soak brown rice with enough water for an hour.
- Drain the water and keep the rice aside.
- Heat milk and rice on a medium flame in a pan or vessel.
- Cook on a low to medium flame till the rice is fully cooked and milk gets reduced a little. Keep stirring in between to avoid burning of rice.
- Add powdered jaggery and cardamom powder and mix well. Cook for a minute and switch off the flame.
- Heat ghee in a pan.
- Roast cashews till golden brown. Keep aside.
- Add raisins and stir fry till they pop up.
- Add cashews and raisins to the kheer and combine together.
- Serve brown rice kheer or payasam warm or chilled.
- After you add jaggery, mix well and switch off the flame immediately. Do not overcook as it tends to curdle the milk.
- Once the kheer has cooled down, it tends to thicken. You can add milk accordingly to get the consistency as desired by you.
- Brown rice takes a little more time to cook than usual rice. Ensure that rice is fully cooked before adding jaggery to it.
- How to make Oats Laddoo
- How to make Spicy Tofu Salad
- How to make Couscous Salad
- How to make Cracked Wheat Rava Idli
- How to make Lentil Dosa
- How to make Oats ice cream
- How to make Russian Salad
- How to make Chicken Stew
- How to make Thai-style Spring Rolls
- How to make Moong Dal Chaat
- How to make Oats Paniyaram
- How to make Soy Nuggets in Garlic Sauce
- Three brown rice recipes that you'll really love!
- Five low-cal recipes for a healthy diet
- Fat to fit: 10 super healthy salad recipes
- 6 easy, low-sugar weight loss recipes
Do you have an healthy food recipe that you'd like to share with us?
We will publish the best ones right here on Rediff.com and India Abroad.