Rediff reader Shailja Gonsalves sent us this nutritious chaat recipe.
Do you have a healthy recipe to share? Email it to us!
This is a quick and healthy dish full of protein, calcium and fibre and can be loaded with fruits and vegetables. Chat masala is optional but it does enhance the taste. It can be served as a salad or snack,” says Shailja.
Here’s how to make Moong Dal Chaat:
- 1/2 cup yellow moong dal (split yellow gram)
- 1/2 cup grated carrot
- 1/4 cup cranberries
- 2 tbs chopped onions
- 1/4 cup chopped raw green mangoes
- 1 tbsp finely chopped mint / pudina leaves
- 2 tbsp finely chopped cilantro / coriander leaves
- 4 tsp lemon juice
- 1/4 cup olives (optional)
- 2 tsp finely chopped green chillies (optional)
- 1 tsp chaat masala (optional)
- Salt to taste
- Clean, wash and soak the moong dal in enough water for 2 hours (it can be soaked overnight too) and drain well.
- Add 2 cups of water, drained moong dal and salt in a pan and cook it on medium heat till dal is 3/4 done, while stirring occasionally. Make sure that each grain is separate.
- Strain the dal and keep aside to cool for 10 minutes.
- Mix all the ingredients, including the moong dal, in a large bowl and toss well.
- Serve immediately.
Image courtesy: Shailja Gonsalves
- How to make Oats Paniyaram
- How to make Soy Nuggets in Garlic Sauce
- Three brown rice recipes that you'll really love!
- Five low-cal recipes for a healthy diet
- Fat to fit: 10 super healthy salad recipes
- 6 easy, low-sugar weight loss recipes
Do you have an healthy food recipe that you'd like to share with us?
We will publish the best ones right here on Rediff.com.