Some leaders of the banned Jamaat-ud-Dawa (JuD) of Mumbai terror attack mastermind Hafiz Saeed have claimed that their outfit played a role in last year's mass anti-government protests in Bangladesh that led to the ouster of prime minister Sheikh Hasina.
Lawyer Ujjwal Nikam says that while justice has been delivered to some victims of the 26/11 Mumbai terror attacks, their conspirators are still hiding in Pakistan. He criticizes Pakistan's handling of the trials of those arrested and calls for action against masterminds like Hafiz Saeed and Zakiur Rehman Lakhvi.
External affairs ministry spokesperson Arindam Bagchi said the request for extraditing Saeed along with certain documents was recently sent to Islamabad.
In a notification, the Union home ministry said that Hafiz Talha Saeed, 46, has been actively involved in recruitment, fund collection, and planning and executing attacks by the Lashkar-e-Tayiba in India and Indian interests in Afghanistan.
Hitting back, Congress spokesperson Supriya Shrinate posted a picture of Afridi with BJP leader Anurag Thakur to say that the ruling party should be ashamed for asking questions from the Congress while it itself maintain ties with them.
Last month, the Security Council Committee enacted amendments to certain entries in its ISIL (Da'esh) and Al-Qaida Sanctions List of individuals and entities subject to the assets freeze, travel ban, and arms embargo.
India has also taken note of reports of Saeed's son Talha contesting elections in Pakistan and said the "mainstreaming" of radical terror outfits in the neighbouring country is nothing new and that it has been part of its State policy for a long time.
In an interaction with naval warriors on board aircraft carrier INS Vikrant off Goa, Singh sent a stern warning to Islamabad saying India will not hesitate to use the methods to deal with terrorism that Pakistan cannot even think of.
The National Investigation Agency has informed a Delhi court that Mumbai attack accused Tahawwur Rana could spill the beans on the ongoing and future terror plans of outfit Lashkar-e-Taiba and its chief Hafiz Saeed for India.
'The fight against terrorism will continue. We have set a new normal and the new normal is that we will follow an offensive strategy. Wherever terrorists are, we have to kill those terrorists and we have to destroy their infrastructure. So it is still not over but as we speak the ceasefire is still intact'
A Pakistani delegation is attending the Interpol General Assembly in New Delhi.
The Pakistan Army and members of the banned Jamaat-ud-Dawah (JuD) of Hafiz Saeed attended the funeral of three persons killed in the Indian military strikes on the terror group's headquarters in Muridke, some 40 kms from Lahore. The funeral prayer was held amid high security, with members of the civil bureaucracy also present. Qayyum, a JuD spokesperson, said the three persons were sleeping in a room adjacent to the mosque when the Indian attack occurred and the mosque was destroyed. He said Malik, Khalid, and Mudassir, believed to be members of the JuD, served as the mosque's prayer leaders and caretakers.
You can't put journalists behind bars for meeting people. I did not meet Hafiz Saeed to advise him, it was purely a professional meeting, Ved Pratap Vaidik tells Rediff.com's Vicky Nanjappa
The officials said that intelligence agencies had been alerted about the possibility of a terror attack, but the inputs were utilised at another place, some 90 kilometres away from the site where the attack took place, resulting in a key security lapse.
Jamaat-ud-Dawa chief Hafiz Saeed may be the key conspirator of the Mumbai terror attacks, but Home Minister Sushilkumar Shinde referred to him in Parliament using honorifics like 'Mr' and 'Shri'.
An anti-terrorism court in Pakistan on Wednesday indicted Mumbai terror attack mastermind Hafiz Saeed on terror financing charges and is now being detained at the Kot Lakhpat jail.
Earlier in five such cases, the 70-year-old radical cleric had already been convicted for 36 years imprisonment.
In their petition, Saeed and four others said the government in light of Interior Ministry's order detained them for a period of 90 days (with effect from January 30) in exercise of powers under section 11-EEE(1) of Anti Terrorism Act 1997.
Jamaat-ud-Dawa chief Hafiz Saeed's account 'HafizSaeedLive' has been suspended by online social networking service Twitter for posting about the ongoing protests in Kashmir valley and the killing of Hizbul Mujahideen commander Burhan Muzaffar Wani frequently.
Pakistan has said it is "not obliged" to immediately arrest Lashkar-e-Tayiba founder Hafiz Saeed even if an Interpol Red Corner notice has been issued against him and claimed that evidence provided by India in three dossiers were "not sufficient" to link him to the 26/11 attacks.
In trying to portray a globally sanctioned terrorist as a 'common man', Pakistan was exposed when its top official publically outed crucial details about Hafiz Abdul Rauf, including his national identity number which matched details in the database of the United States sanction list of terrorists.
Home Minister P Chidambaram on Friday parried a question on Pakistan's claim that there was no proof against LeT founder Hafiz Saeed's involvement in terrorist activities in India, saying issues of disagreement should not be discussed on happy occasions.
Pakistan President Asif Ali Zardari has promised that Islamabad would take action against alleged Mumbai attack mastermind and Lashkar-e-Tayiba chief Hafeez Saeed.
Weekend videos: From Hafiz Saeed to Deparment!
Minister for Religious Affairs and Interfaith Harmony Noor-Ul-Haq Qadri was seen seated near Saeed as he addressed an All Parties Conference organised by the Difa-e-Pakistan Council on Sunday.
An audio conversation accessed by CNN-News 18 between the slain Hizbul chief and the man responsible for the 26/11 terror attacks in Mumbai reveals how the two forces wanted to combine and pose a united threat to India.
Saeed-led JuD is the front organisation for the Lashkar-e-Tayiba which is responsible for carrying out the 2008 Mumbai attack that killed 166 people, including six Americans.
Notwithstanding pressure from India, Pakistan's Interior Minister Rehman Malik on Friday gave no indication of action being taken against 26/11 mastermind Hafiz Saeed, saying there was no credible evidence to arrest him.
Indian investigators say that for Pakistan's Inter-Services Intelligence the 26/11 mastermind is a friend who furthers their policy against India. Vicky Nanjappa reports
After his release, Saeed said he would gather people across Pakistan for the "cause of Kashmir" and try to help Kashmiris get their "destination of freedom".
External Affairs Ministry spokesperson Vikas Swarup also made it clear that it was for Pakistan to rein in the JuD chief.
Pakistani Interior Minister Rehman Malik has claimed that India has not provided any "credible evidence" against 26/11 mastermind and LeT chief Hafiz Saeed. Prasanna D Zore reports.
Laskar-e-Tayyiba founder Hafiz Saeed may not come up for discussion on April 8 when Prime Minister Manmohan Singh will meet Pakistan President Asif Ali Zaradari over lunch in New Delhi.
As per the charges, these proscribed outfits were operating under the guise of charities and were involved in funnelling funds to terror suspects.
'These people were your darlings, they were being dined and wined in the White House and now you say go to hell Pakistanis'
Foreign Office spokesperson Mohammad Faisal said that Pakistan was committed to the implementation of UNSC 1267 sanctions regime and has taken several steps in this regard.
The Delhi High Court has ruled that an undertrial's prolonged incarceration cannot be a reason to grant bail in terrorism cases, emphasizing the gravity of such offenses and their potential to destabilize the nation. The court denied bail to separatist leader Nayeem Ahmad Khan in a terror-funding case involving Lashkar-e-Taiba (LeT) and 26/11 Mumbai attack mastermind Hafiz Saeed. The court considered the accused's argument regarding a prolonged trial and his right to liberty but emphasized that the serious nature of the crime, with its potential to disrupt national unity and create fear among the public, outweighs the length of incarceration. Khan, who was arrested in 2017, has been accused of conspiring for secession of Jammu and Kashmir through terrorist activities, receiving funding from Pakistan, and organizing anti-India rallies and demonstrations. The court highlighted the evidence, including witness statements and documents, supporting the accusations against Khan.
The Intelligence Bureau has issued an alert about a possible terror attack being planned by Lashkar-e-Tayiba founder and 26/11 mastermind Hafiz Saeed on the Red Fort in national capital New Delhi.
The Intelligence Bureau has issued an alert about a possible terror attack being planned by Lashkar-e-Tayiba founder and 26/11 mastermind Hafiz Saeed on the Red Fort in national capital New Delhi.
Pakistan's Interior Minister Rehman Malik on Saturday virtually rejected India's demand for action against 26/11 mastermind Hafiz Saeed on the basis of dossiers provided so far, saying "hard" and "substantive" evidence is needed to arrest him.