The incident, which Australian captain Steve Smith said involved senior players hatching a plan to tamper with the ball during a game against rival South Africa, also threatens to upset current negotiations over broadcast rights.
Former Australia opening batsman Cameron Bancroft has broken his silence on the ball-tampering scandal in South Africa, casting David Warner as the instigator and himself as an impressionable rookie that just wanted to "fit in" to the team.
Steve Smith is back in the Test squad along with David Warner and Cameron Bancroft, the other two players hit with long bans for their involvement in the Cape Town scandal in March, 2018.
"In light of recent events, David Warner has stepped down as captain of SunRisers Hyderabad. The new captain of the Team will be announced shortly," K.Shanmugam, CEO, Sunrisers Hyderabad, was quoted as saying in a statement.
Two months on from the interview, Bancroft said he had been in touch with Warner, and that all three banned players had supported each other through their "journey".
Australia sealed a dominant 10-wicket victory over England before lunch on day five of the series-opening Ashes Test on Monday, having chased 170 runs without loss in a blow to the tourists' pride.
The legendary Adam Gilchrist said Cricket Australia (CA) did not carry out a thorough investigation into the 2018 ball-tampering scandal by refusing to go deeper into the problem.
Cricket Australia chief James Sutherland said Darren Lehmann was as surprised as the thousands of spectators in Cape Town's Newlands stadium and millions more watching at home when images on big screens showed Cameron Bancroft brazenly cheating.
Australia captain Steve Smith said his side deliberately tried to tamper with the condition of the ball on the third day of the third Test against South Africa in Cape Town on Saturday in an orchestrated attempt to gain an advantage.
Looking at the infamous gate, many fans across the stadium were seen holding the banner 'Sandpaper for Sale'.
Australia coach Darren Lehmann said on Thursday he would step down after this week's Test match against South Africa, as he took ultimate responsibility for the culture of a team embroiled in a ball-tampering scandal that has rocked the sport.
Three years after his ignominious exit as Australia's captain in the wake of the ball-tampering scandal, Steve Smith has said he is keen and ready to lead the national side again if an opportunity came his way.
Ali was dropped after a poor performance in the opening Test in Edgbaston
'With a lead of 260 going into the day session, we're in the drivers' seat'
Pat Cummins, Josh Hazlewood, and Mitchell Starc clarified that they had no knowledge that a foreign substance was being applied on the ball.
'I lied. I lied about the sandpaper. I panicked in that situation and I'm very sorry ... I feel like I've let everyone down in Australia'
Smith has been England's tormentor-in-chief in the ongoing Ashes series, which Australia have already retained after winning the fourth Test in Manchester on Sunday.
Batsman Nic Maddinson has withdrawn from Australia A's match against Pakistan on mental health grounds, Cricket Australia said on Saturday.
Perth Scorchers' opener Michael Klinger was given out on the seventh ball of an over with umpires failing to realise their mistake.
Chappell questioned why Smith is eligible to captain Australia again while David Warner has a lifetime leadership ban. He said Smith's "crime" in the ball-tampering scandal was greater than that of Warner, his deputy at that time.
England all-rounder Moeen Ali has no sympathy for Australia's banned cricketers and finds the whole team "rude".
Darren Lehmann is returning to Big Bash side Brisbane Heat in his first coaching role since resigning as Australia boss in the wake of the Cape Town ball-tampering scandal.
A bemused, if almost ambivalent reaction, has come from South Africa in contrast to the angry backlash in Australia to their cricket team's admission of cheating in a Test match between the sides at Newlands on Saturday.
Steve Smith received a standing ovation for a fighting 92 at Lord's despite being struck on the neck by a Jofra Archer bouncer.
The second Ashes Test between England and Australia is scheduled from August 14 to August 18 at Lord's Cricket Ground.
IMAGES from Day 3 of the 1st Ashes Test at Edgbaston, Birmingham, on Saturday
Marsh strained his back during training at the Gabba on Wednesday, Cricket Australia said, a day after Warner hurt his neck during a fielding drill.
The Gold Coast Commonwealth Games have restored Australia's global sporting reputation that had taken a hit during the recent ball-tampering scandal, Games Organising Committee Chairman Peter Beattie said.
Axed captain Steve Smith, Warner and batsman Cameron Bancroft have all been sent home with CA set to announce punishments for the trio later on Wednesday for their role in the scandal that has rocked Australian cricket to its core.
'It will be an interesting time when he stops playing for Australia and writes a book'
The International Cricket Council asked an internal panel to suggest harsher punishment for ball-tampering and other misbehaviour by players in its bid to establish a "culture of respect".
The former Australia captain declined to name the players involved but reiterated that he had told them, "I don't want to know about it", and then walked away.
Images from Day 3 of the first Test between South Africa and Australia in Durban on Saturday.
Former Australia captain Steve Smith will serve out the remainder of his 12-month ban from international and state cricket recuperating from surgery on his injured elbow, Cricket Australia (CA) said on Saturday.
Renshaw made his Test debut at 20 against South Africa in 2016 but is taking a break from cricket after being dropped by Queensland ahead of the resumption of the Sheffield Shield season.
The 26-year-old would be expected to offer a fourth pace option to back up the strike trio of Mitchell Starc, Josh Hazlewood and Pat Cummins, who secured Australia a 120-run victory to give them a 2-0 lead in the series on Wednesday.
Images from Day 4 of the 4th Test at MCG in Melbourne on Friday
According to Daily Telegraph David Warner is also set be banned by Cricket Australia for the fourth Test
'This is like the Indian team not having Rohit Sharma and Virat Kohli. It's a huge factor'
Failing to put up any fight against a rampaging Australia A, India A suffered a 10-wicket loss in the second unofficial Test to go down 0-1 in the two-match series on Saturday.