Maharashtra Governor Ch Vidyasagar Rao has rejected a plea to waive off the remaining jail term of actor Sanjay Dutt, convicted in the 1993 Mumbai serial blasts case.
Sanjay Dutt was on Saturday back in Pune's Yerwada Central Jail after prison authorities turned down his request for extension of furlough citing lack of "positive" report from the police after days of indecision that resulted in the actor overstaying his leave.
A week after formulating stringent guidelines for granting parole to the convicts, Maharashtra government appears to be in a dilemma with reports of some convicts at Yerwada central prison near Pune threatening to launch a protest.
The actor left for Mumbai earlier this morning.
A biopic on the actor will be made by his Munnabhai director, Rajkumar Hirani.
The government submitted a report before a bench of Justices R M Savant and Sadhana Jadhav, saying Dutt was granted remission on account of his "good behaviour, discipline and participation in various institutional activities such as physical training, educational programmes and for performing the allotted work".
Bollywood actor Sanjay Dutt, who surrendered on Thursday before a special Terrorist and Disruptive Activities court in Mumbai, is planning to file a curative petition before the Supreme Court, his lawyer said Thursday.
The 56-year-old actor, who recently walked out a free man after serving jail term, wrote over 500 'sher' (couplet) along with two inmates and now he plans to release the poetry collection in form of book titled 'Salaakhen'.
A social activist has written a letter to Maharashtra Chief Minister Devendra Fadnavis requesting him not to allow an 'early release' for actor Sanjay Dutt.
Ironically, many in the BJP were critical of repeated paroles and furloughs granted to Dutt while he was serving the sentence at Yerwada jail in Pune.
The top posts on social media from your favourite Bollywood celebrities.
The 1993 Mumbai blasts convict will be woken up early on Thursday, given light refreshments and prayers books before his execution.
Close on the heels of the release of actor Sanjay Dutt on parole to take care of his ailing wife, a similar relief has been extended to another 1993 bomb blast accused on the same ground.
One of Sanjay Dutt's biggest fans will serve his restaurant's signature dish on February 25 to celebrate Dutt's release from jail.
The lax security in jails is under scanner with recent episodes of breaks and murders of inmates, reports Vicky Nanjappa.
India on Wednesday commemorated the sixth anniversary of the Mumbai attack with Prime Minister Narendra Modi and other leaders paying homage to the victims, recalling the "horror" over which the country still felt "endless pain" for the loss of 166 lives.
The deposition of Indian witnesses in the 26/11 terror attack case began in Mumbai on Tuesday before an eight-member Pakistani Judicial Commission amid tight security arrangements.
In the backdrop of arrest of Yasin Bhatkal, alleged founder of Indian Mujahideen, condemned convict in German Bakery blast case, Himayat Baig has approached the Bombay high court seeking reinvestigation into his case by a neutral agency or a court-appointed Special Investigation Team.
Rediff.com takes a look at some cases from the recent past where the courts awarded the capital punishment for horrific crimes that fall under the rarest of rare category.
The top posts on social media from your favourite Bollywood celebrities.
The extremist outfit has a tainted past and has been entangled in different legal cases for extortion, rioting and instigating violence
Speaking about his last few days in jail, Dutt said that excitement of freedom and being with family did not allow him to eat nor sleep.
A look back at 2014 in Bollywood as we inch closer to a new year!
Even as France mourns the bloodiest terrorist attack for 20 years, let's take a look at some major standoffs witnessed in the past: