The bench gave liberty to Mukerjea to approach the trial court
After the Dharavi slum redevelopment project, billionaire Gautam Adani's group has emerged as the highest bidder for the Rs 36,000 crore redevelopment of Motilal Nagar in Mumbai, sources said. Motilal Nagar I, II & III is one of Mumbai's biggest housing redevelopment projects, covering 143 acres in western suburb of Goregaon (W).
The Bombay High Court has ruled that a spouse threatening or attempting to commit suicide amounts to 'cruelty' and is a valid ground for divorce. The court upheld a family court's decision to dissolve a marriage where the husband alleged his wife threatened to send him and his family to jail by committing suicide. The court found that the husband's claim of cruelty was supported by evidence, including the wife's attempt to end her life.
The Bombay High Court criticized the Maharashtra government for arresting a 19-year-old student from Pune for her social media post on Indo-Pak hostilities, calling its reaction "radical." The court granted the student bail and said the state's actions were unwarranted and had turned a student into a criminal. The court also questioned the conduct of the college for rusticating the student, stating that an educational institution's approach should be to reform, not punish. The student had reposted a post on Instagram that criticized the Indian government for provoking a war against Pakistan, but she later deleted the post and apologized for her actions. The college, however, deemed the post to be anti-national and expelled the student. The court emphasized that mistakes are bound to happen, especially at a young age, and urged the college to focus on reforming students rather than punishing them.
Two Maharashtra Police officers are facing dismissal for alleged negligence in the investigation of a fatal Porsche crash in Pune last year. The officers were suspended for their late reporting of the incident and dereliction of duty, and an internal inquiry revealed lapses in the case registration and blood sample collection. The case involves a drunk minor driver who killed two tech professionals, and there was an attempt to swap blood samples to conceal the driver's intoxication.
A mob attacked police personnel during the demolition of an unauthorized dargah in Nashik, Maharashtra, injuring 21 officers and damaging three police vehicles. The incident occurred late Tuesday night after the Nashik Municipal Corporation (NMC) began removing the Satpeer Baba Dargah following a Bombay High Court order. Police used tear gas and batons to disperse the mob and detained 15 individuals in connection with the violence. The situation is now under control, with the dargah demolished and an FIR filed against the perpetrators.
A suspended police sub-inspector from Beed, Maharashtra, India, has alleged that he was offered money to carry out an "encounter" of Walmik Karad, an accused in the murder case of sarpanch Santosh Deshmukh. The suspended cop, Ranjeet Kasle, claims he mentioned the names of the individuals who made the offer in a local police station diary. However, a senior police official from Beed has dismissed Kasle's claims as baseless and demanded proof. Kasle was suspended earlier while serving as a sub-inspector in the local cyber crime department. Deshmukh, the sarpanch of Massajog village, was abducted and killed last December allegedly for attempting to stop extortion targeting an energy company. Karad is among eight individuals arrested in connection with the murder and charged under the Maharashtra Control of Organised Crime Act (MCOCA). The state Crime Investigation Department (CID) filed a chargesheet in the case last month. Kasle's claims come amidst ongoing investigations into the custodial death of Badlapur sexual assault case accused Akshay Shinde. Kasle has demanded a central government SIT to investigate Shinde's death, believing it will reveal the truth.
'We will take all necessary steps to ensure that Abir Gulaal is not released in India.'
The Bombay High Court has granted bail to researcher Rona Wilson and activist Sudhir Dhawale, arrested in the Elgar Parishad-Maoist links case. The court noted that they had been in jail since 2018 and the trial was yet to start. The court said the two had spent more than six years in jail as under-trial prisoners. The NIA, the prosecution agency, did not seek a stay to the HC order. Eight other activists have been granted bail in the case, which pertains to provocative speeches allegedly delivered at the Elgar Parishad conclave held in Pune on December 31, 2017.
The Bombay High Court expressed concerns about allowing a 36-year-old divorced woman to undergo surrogacy, questioning if it could lead to commercialization of the practice. The court also emphasized the rights of the child born through surrogacy, not just the woman seeking it. The court adjourned the case indefinitely, suggesting the petitioner approach the Supreme Court, which is already dealing with related matters.
The Bombay high court on Wednesday said the Maharashtra government has not taken vindictive action against any person for re-sharing or re-uploading stand-up comic Kunal Kamra's video in which he indirectly passed a 'traitor' jibe at Deputy Chief Minister Eknath Shinde.
Police in Jalna, Maharashtra rescued a woman who was held captive by her parents for two months in their home. The woman, Shahnaz alias Sonal, had an interfaith marriage and was kept chained in the house after her parents disapproved of the marriage. The police acted on a complaint by the woman's husband and rescued her from her parents' house in Alapur village.
The Nagpur municipal chief has offered an unconditional apology to the Bombay High Court for the demolition of houses belonging to accused in a riots case, citing ignorance of Supreme Court guidelines on such actions. The civic officials were unaware of the Supreme Court's order, which mandates procedural safeguards before demolishing properties linked to riots accused, the commissioner stated in an affidavit. The court has granted the Maharashtra government two weeks to respond to the matter.
The Nagpur bench of the Bombay High Court has ordered a stay on the demolition of the houses of two accused, including Fahim Khan, in the violence case, criticizing the administration for "high-handedness." The court questioned why the owners were not given a hearing before the demolition of alleged illegal portions. The action was taken without providing a hearing to the property owners, the bench noted. The court sought a response from the government and civic authorities and posted the matter for further hearing on April 15. If the court concludes that the demolition was illegal, the authorities would have to pay for the damage caused.
The Bombay high court has slammed the decision of Maharashtra government to not charge the Board of Control for Cricket in India for police protection given during cricket matches conducted in the state.
Tahawwur Hussain Rana, a Pakistani-born Canadian national accused of playing a role in the 2008 Mumbai terror attacks, has been extradited from the United States to India. Rana was arrested in the US in 2009 and convicted in 2011 for providing material support to the Lashkar-e-Taiba terror group, which carried out the Mumbai attacks. He had been fighting extradition since 2012, but the US Supreme Court ultimately denied his review petition, paving the way for his transfer to India. Rana will now face trial in India for his alleged role in the attacks, which killed 166 people.
In a twist in the family feud, Abhishek Lodha-run Macrotech Developers on Wednesday alleged younger brother Abhinandan's firm fabricated documents to misuse the company's brand name to further its business interests.
The indecision of the then Maharashtra governor on the state government's recommendation to appoint 12 persons as MLCs is 'quite disturbing', the Bombay high court has said.
Indian cricketer Yuzvendra Chahal and his estranged wife Dhanashree Verma have been granted a divorce by mutual consent by a family court in Mumbai.
The Bombay High Court has upheld the suspension of a Dalit PhD student from the Tata Institute of Social Science (TISS) for allegedly participating in a politically motivated protest against the central government's policies. The court found that the student's participation in the protest, under the banner of TISS' student organization, brought disrepute to the institute.
Disha Salian, former manager of Bollywood actor Sushant Singh Rajput, died on June 8, 2020, after falling off the 14th floor of a residential building in Mumbai's Malad area, six days before Rajput allegedly committed suicide in his apartment in Bandra.
Satish Salian, the father of Disha Salian, former manager of actor Sushant Singh Rajput, has filed a petition in the Bombay High Court seeking a fresh probe into her death in 2020. The petition alleges that Disha Salian was brutally raped and murdered and that there was a politically-orchestrated cover-up to protect certain influential persons. The petition names Shiv Sena (UBT) leader Aaditya Thackeray and calls for the probe to be transferred to the CBI. The petition also claims that the Mumbai police hastily closed the case as a suicide or accidental death without considering forensic evidence. Salian's death occurred on June 8, 2020, after she fell from the 14th floor of a residential building. The city police had registered an Accidental Death Report (ADR) case at the time. The case has drawn renewed attention after Rajput's death on June 14, 2020, which was also initially ruled a suicide but was later handed over to the CBI. The petition has sparked reactions from various political figures, with some calling for Thackeray to resign and face the investigation.
The lawyer had urged the court to hear the matter urgently.
A special court in Mumbai has ordered the transfer of 14 properties belonging to Tiger Memon, an alleged mastermind of the 1993 Mumbai serial bomb blasts, and his family to the central government. The properties, which were in the possession of the Bombay High Court's receiver since 1994, were forfeited under the Smugglers and Foreign Exchange Manipulators (Forfeiture of Property) Act (SAFEM) after proceedings initiated against Memon in 1993 based on a detention order issued by the Maharashtra government. The properties include a flat in Bandra, an office in Mahim, a plot in Santacruz, and several other properties across Mumbai.
Targets should avoid panicking and hang up. 'Disconnecting stops the scammers from building psychological pressure.'
In a breather to social activist Teesta Setalvad and her husband, the Bombay high court on Friday granted the duo 17-day interim relief from arrest in a Central Bureau of Investigation case alleging that her company received Rs 1.8 crore from abroad without mandatory approval from Centre.
The Bombay High Court expressed its dismay over the Maharashtra government's failure to register an FIR against five policemen involved in the custodial death of Akshay Shinde, despite an explicit court order. The court, alleging a deliberate attempt to disregard its directives, threatened contempt proceedings against senior CID officers for non-compliance. The case pertains to Shinde's death while in police custody, accused of sexually assaulting two kindergarten girls in Badlapur. An inquiry report by a magistrate indicted the five policemen, suggesting a possible fake encounter. The court emphasized the importance of following the rule of law and stated that the government's inaction would send a detrimental message to society.
Intolerance and dissent from the orthodoxy have been a bane of Indian society, the Bombay high court said, quoting author A G Noorani, while quashing a complaint against singer Kailash Kher for allegedly hurting religious sentiments with a song on Lord Shiva.
The much-delayed election for ten seats was held on September 24 following a Bombay high court directive.
The Bombay High Court ruled that a comment on a woman colleague's hair, even if accompanied by a song, does not constitute sexual harassment at work. The court set aside a bank's internal report and an industrial court order that had found a senior executive guilty of misconduct under the POSH Act, arguing that the alleged actions did not amount to sexual harassment. The court noted that the complainant herself had not perceived the comment as sexual harassment at the time and later expressed gratitude to the executive.
The Bombay High Court has allowed the police investigation against comedian Kunal Kamra over his remarks against Maharashtra Deputy Chief Minister Eknath Shinde to continue, but has barred his arrest. The court said the investigation can continue, but Kamra will not be arrested during the pendency of the petition. The court also said that if the police wanted to record Kamra's statement, they shall do so in Chennai, where he currently resides, after giving him prior notice.
Researcher Rona Wilson and activist Sudhir Dhawale, accused in the Elgar Parishad-Maoist links case, were released on bail from a Navi Mumbai prison on Friday, more than six years after they were arrested. The duo walked out of the Taloja jail after completing bail formalities before the special NIA court, over a fortnight after they were granted bail by the Bombay High Court. The HC granted bail to Wilson and Dhawale on January 8, noting they had been in jail since 2018 and the trial in the case, in which anti-terror act UAPA has been invoked, was yet to start. Apart from Dhawale and Wilson, 14 other activists and academicians were arrested in the case. Eight of them have been granted bail till now, with one, Mahesh Raut, still in jail as the appeal filed by the National Investigation Agency (NIA) against his bail is pending before the Supreme Court. Jesuit priest and activist Stan Swamy, one of the accused, died in 2021 while lodged in judicial custody. The case pertains to provocative speeches allegedly delivered at the Elgar Parishad conclave held in Pune on December 31, 2017, triggering violence at Koregaon-Bhima, a village outside Pune city, the next day. The Pune police had claimed the conclave was backed by Maoists. The NIA later took over the probe.
The Bombay High Court has reserved its order on comedian Kunal Kamra's petition seeking the quashing of an FIR registered against him for allegedly making defamatory remarks against Maharashtra deputy Chief Minister Eknath Shinde. The court also granted Kamra interim protection from arrest.
The Bombay high court has permitted the Adani group to cut 209 mangroves for the construction of a high voltage transmission line proposed to increase electricity supply in Mumbai and suburbs, noting it was a project of public importance.
The Vidarbha Cricket Association (VCA) has announced a cash reward of Rs 3 crore for its Ranji Trophy winning side, apart from separate cash incentives for the support staff and some of its players. The VCA also felicitated Akshay Wakhare on his retirement. Vidarbha forced a draw against Kerala in the summit clash and clinched the title on the basis of their first innings lead of 37 runs at the VCA Stadium in Jamtha.
Shah said Shivaji Maharaj defeated "Mughal shahi" (rule of Mughals).
As per the ED, a website was engaged in unauthorised online betting in various sports including tennis, cricket, soccer, basketball, badminton and boxing, and live-streamed Indian Premier League matches without any permission.
The Bombay High Court discharged Adani Group Chairman Gautam Adani and Managing Director Rajesh Adani from a case of alleged violations of market regulations involving nearly Rs 388 crore. The Serious Fraud Investigation Office (SFIO) had initiated the case in 2012 against Adani Enterprises Limited (AEL) and its promoters, accusing them of criminal conspiracy and cheating. The HC's single bench of Justice R N Laddha quashed the sessions court order and discharged the duo from the case.
Skoda Auto Volkswagen India has filed a case against tax authorities over the Rs 11,000 crore (about USD 1.4 billion) show cause notice for alleged customs duty fraud related to the import of cars as completely knocked down units.
The inclusion of a "no-contest" clause in Ratan Tata's will has caught the attention of India Inc, prompting a wave of interest among promoters of listed companies and business families. Legal advisors and estate planners are seeing a noticeable uptick in queries, as wealthy individuals look for ways to shield their legacies from courtroom battles.