Film folk looked glamorous for the Pinkvilla Screen & Style Icons Awards 2026 that were held on March 25 in Mumbai. A look at the big winners of the night.
The appointment of Justice Akshay Mehta to the Nanavati Commission has sparked off a controversy after the Jan Sangharsh Manch decided not to participate in its proceedings."Allegations were made against Justice Mehta in a sting operation `Kalank' of Tehelka and a TV channel," advocate Mukul Sinha, who represents a section of riot victims, said. He is the same judge whom Babu Bajrangi, the main accused in the Naroda Patia case, referred to as apna admi in the Tehelka tapes.
Advocate Mukul Sinha of JSM, representing a section of riot victims, said that Justice Mehta, who was appointed to the riot panel in place of late Justice K G Shah, had granted bail to Babu Bajrangi by his order dated October 19, 2002."The interesting thing in Justice Mehta's order is that it does not cite any reason for granting bail to a prime accused and two others in the Naroda Patia case," said Sinha.
Akshay Kumar wants an apology too: 'I want the British government and King Charles to watch the film. The apology is bound to happen.'
The Nanavati Commission probing the 2002 riots in Gujarat has been granted another extension of six months till December 31 this year by Gujarat government, officials said on Tuesday.
Justice Nanavati Commission on Tuesday submitted its final report on the 2002 Gujarat riots to state Chief Minister Anandiben Patel.
The Gujarat government has granted yet another extension of six months to the Nanavati Commission, probing the 2002 post-Godhra riots, officials said on Tuesday.
Nanavati was appointed as judge of the Supreme Court with effect from March 6, 1995, and retired on February 16, 2000.
The Gujarat government on Monday granted yet another extension to the Justice Nanavati commission which is probing the 2002 post-Godhra riots.
The hearing of Nanavati Commission to decide on cross-examination of former minister I K Jadeja for his alleged role in 2002 communal riots was on Monday adjourned as he failed to appear before the panel.
Indian Police Service officer Sanjiv Bhatt on Tuesday requested the Nanavati Commission to defer his deposition till he gets legal support, alleging that he was being subjected to a "slander campaign" by the Gujarat government.
The Nanavati Commission, probing the 2002 post-Godhra riots, on Thursday reserved its order on an application, seeking summoning of Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi and three others for questioning.
A two-member commission headed by Justice G T Nanavati on Thursday submitted the first part of its report on the 2002 Sabarmati train carnage in Godhra and subsequent riots to Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi. The commission, appointed by the Modi government after the worst-ever riots in the state and comprising retired Justices Nanavati and Akshay Mehta, examined more than 1,000 witness during the period of six years.
The Nanavati Commission probing the 2002 riots has been granted extension of six months till June 30, 2013, for the 19th time, officials associated with the commission said.
Former Gujarat minister of state for home Gordhan Zadafia on Tuesday told the Nanavati Commission that he had neither visited any riot relief camp, nor any riot-hit areas in 2002, in the aftermath of the Godhra train burning incident.
The Nanavati Commission, which was appointed in 2002, after five years observed that police at some places were ineffective in controlling the mob and said the post-Godhra riots that spread out in the state were "not a pre-planned conspiracy or orchestrated violence.
While about 8,000 people are in the long list of invitees, the select list features 506 A-listers, including prominent politicians, leading industrialists, top film stars, sportspersons, diplomats, judges and high priests.
The execution of death warrants of these convicts have been deferred thrice so far due to delays by them in exhausting their legal remedies.
'There have been and will continue to be, so many captivating stories in colonial India.' 'Obviously, most of the white people were British, so if I am going to take on a role in a film set in one of the most turbulent periods of Indian history, then it only stands to reason that my character would be of British descent.' 'But that doesn't mean all my roles are negative.'
Hours after the clemency plea of Vinay Kumar Sharma, 26, was dismissed by the President, Akshay Thakur, 31, a third death row convict, filed a mercy petition.
The CJI said one of his relatives had earlier appeared on behalf of the victim's mother in the case and observed that it would be appropriate that some other bench hear the review plea at 10:30 am.
The Supreme Court on Friday ordered the transfer of trial in the death case of a Kanpur-based businessman in which six policemen have been charged with murder to a CBI court in Delhi after the Uttar Pradesh government said that it has no objection to it.
In its order, the high court was critical of the delay caused by the authorities in seeking issuance of death warrants for the convicts as also of the "delay tactics" adopted by the convicts.
The Centre and the Delhi government challenged the trial court's January 31 order staying 'till further orders' the execution of all the four convicts in the case. The parents of the victim urged the court to expeditiously decide the Centre's plea and were assured by the judge that the order would be passed at the earliest.
This is the fourth death warrant issued for the execution of the convicts in the matter.
The Supreme Court on Tuesday sought response from the four death row convicts in the Nirbhaya gang rape and murder case on the Centre's appeal challenging the Delhi high court verdict which dismissed its plea against stay on their execution.
The apex court said there was no ground to interfere with the high court order that rejected Pawan's plea and his claim was rightly rejected by the trial court as also the high court.
A 3-judge bench headed by Justice R Banumathi said there are no grounds to review the verdict
On January 20, the apex court had rejected the plea by Pawan who had challenged the Delhi high court's order dismissing his juvenility claim.
Mehta told Justice Suresh Kait that convict Pawan Gupta's move of not filing a curative or a mercy petition is a deliberate, calculated inaction.
The top court rejected the contention of Sharma that he is mentally ill and said his medical report suggests he is stable.
The high court also faulted the authorities concerned for not taking steps for issuance of death warrant after the rejection of appeals of the accused by the Supreme Court in 2017.
The judge passed the order on the plea by the convicts seeking adjournment of the executions 'sine die'. The four were scheduled to be hanged on February 1 at 6 am. This is for the second time that the execution of the death warrants has been deferred.
Sharma, one of the four convicts on death row in the 2012 case, has also sought commutation of his death sentence to life imprisonment claiming that he has "developed mental illness" inside the prison due to the alleged "torture and ill-treatment".
The bench said all relevant material including judgments pronounced by trial court, high court and Supreme Court were placed before the President when he was considering the mercy plea of convict Mukesh Kumar Singh.
1997: Sukanya Verma offers a recap of its memorable imagery.
Manoj Bajpayee confides in Rediff.com's Ronjita Kulkarni about his 'long journey filled with rejection, betrayal, misery, failures and disillusionment.'
The top posts on social media from your favourite Bollywood celebrities.
The Forbes 30 Under 30 list is harder to get into than Stanford or Harvard University. Meet the desis who made the cut this year.