Food blogger and Rediff reader Anshu Pande sent us this interesting recipe of Besan Rava Laddoo.
What's your favourite Diwali recipe? Tell us!
The festival of lights is incomplete without besan laddoos.
Here's the recipe of Besan Rava Laddoo:
- 3 cup gram flour or besan
- 8 tbsp semolina
- 1 cup melted ghee
- 1 1/2 cup castor sugar
- 8 tbsp sliced or slivered almonds
- 2 tbsp coarsely grounded cardamom seeds
- 1 tbsp melted ghee
- 2 tbsp coarsely grounded almonds
- 2 tbsp coarsely grounded pistachios
- In a large wok, melt ghee on low flame.
- Mix besan and semolina.
- Roast the mixture in ghee on low flame by stirring continuously for at least 15 minutes or till it turns darker in colour.
- After fifteen minutes when the dough has started to become little creamy and gooey, turn off the flame.
- Add castor sugar while dough is still warm, otherwise it would not dissolve properly. Mix well.
- Add coarsely ground cardamom powder and slivered almonds. Mix well.
- Allow the mixture to cool a bit.
- Take a handful of the mixture and shape them into small balls.
- Melt some ghee in a bowl and dip one end of the laddoos in it.
- Dip the same end with ghee on a plate filled with almond-pistachio powder.
- Store in an air-tight container.
- Roasting the besan is a tedious process and requires patience. Keep stirring continuously. Do not let the bottom layer of besan turn brown or black.
- Use of castor sugar or boora is very important. It will lend an authentic flavour to laddoos with a slight crunch.
- Addition of semolina enhances the texture of laddoos.
- If the mixture is too dry, you can add some melted ghee to bind it to form balls.
Image courtesy: Anshu Pande
- Diwali recipe: How to make Mango Halwa
- Diwali recipe: How to make Coconut Laddoos
- Diwali recipe: How to make Rajasthani Ghevar
- Diwali recipe: How to make Mohanthal
- Diwali recipe: How to make Doda Barfi
- Diwali recipe: How to make Shahi Tukda
- Diwali recipe: How to make Kashi Halwa
- Diwali recipe: How to make Beetroot Coconut Barfi
- Diwali recipe: How to make Chocolate Marshmallow Pops
- Diwali recipe: How to make Malai Laddoos
Do you have an interesting Diwali recipe that you'd like to share with us?
We will publish the best ones right here on Rediff.com.