Rediff reader Priya Shiva from Chennai sent us this interesting recipe ahead of Diwali.
What's your favourite Diwali recipe? Tell us!
Chennai-based Priya Shiva is a full time mother who is passionate about cooking.
She sent us the recipe for Beetroot Coconut Burfi and wrote: "It is one of the easiest sweets to make with simple ingredients. Try out something different from the usual coconut burfi this festival season and you will simply love it!"
What are you waiting for? Here's the recipe:
Beetroot Coconut Barfi
- 1 cup besan
- 1/2 cup grated beetroot
- 1/2 cup shredded coconut
- 1 1/2 cup melted ghee
- 2 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 cup milk
- 1 tsp green cardamom powder
- Grease a square plate with ghee and keep it aside.
- Saute grated beetroot for few minutes in a pan till it's cooked and you get a fresh aroma.
- Add all ingredients in a heavy bottom pan and mix it well to ensure there are no lumps.
- Heat the pan and stir continuously for few minutes on low flame.
- When it starts to bubble and you see ghee leaving the sides, add cardamom powder.
- When it thickens, transfer the content into the greased plate and leave it for a few minutes.
- When it is still warm cut it into square pieces.
- After it cools down, store it in an air tight container.
- Always sieve the besan before using it for sweets.
- Use a non-stick pan for making sweets so that the mixture doesn't burn or stick to the bottom.
Image courtesy: Priya Shiva
- Diwali recipe: How to make Mango Halwa
- Diwali recipe: How to make Coconut Laddoos
- Diwali recipe: How to make Rajasthani Ghevar
- Diwali recipe: How to make Mohanthal
- Diwali recipe: How to make Doda Barfi
- Diwali recipe: How to make Shahi Tukda
- Diwali recipe: How to make Kashi Halwa
Do you have an interesting Diwali recipe that you'd like to share with us?
We will publish the best ones right here on Rediff.com.