We bring you the recipe of Vattayappam, a steamed rice cake made during Christmas in homes in Kerala.
- Christmas special: Recipes from Nagaland
- Christmas recipe: Mangalorean Chicken Curry and Sanna
- Christmas special: Recipes from Kanyakumari
- 2 cups rice (Parimal chawal)
- 1/2 coconut
- 1/2 tsp dry yeast (you can also use half glass toddy)
- Sugar as per taste
- Soak the rice overnight. If you are making the dish during winter, make sure that you soak the rice for at least 8 hours. Next morning, grind it to a fine mixture. Do not add a lot of water when grinding it. The batter should be slightly thick and not watery.
- Once the rice is ground, add yeast to it and let it set for 4-5 hours. Yeast has to be mixed in a little warm water with one tsp sugar and then added to the ground rice. You can later add sugar to the mixture as per your taste.
- Place the mixture in greased flat vessels and steam in a pressure cooker for 15-20 minutes. You can garnish it with raisins before steaming it.
- Remove from cooker and let it cool. After the Vattayappam cools, cut it into slices.
Tip: To make Vattayappam softer, you can add one cup of cooked rice to the mixture while grinding it.
- How to make Madras Mutton Curry
- How to make Milk Pudding
- How to make Raan Roast
- 5 traditional Christmas recipes
- Droolworthy X'mas recipes just for you
- Party appetisers: 5 finger-licking chicken recipes
- Video recipes: Make insanely delicious waffles at home!