We asked you, Dear Readers, what would you cook for US Vice President Kamala Harris?
Mumbaikar Akshaya Badrinarayanan offers a vegan twist to the all-time favourite Butter Chicken. She replaced the chicken with tofu.
Tell us what you think of it.
- 200 gm tofu, preferably a firm variety
- 3 to 4 pod garlic, finely chopped
- 1 medium-sized onion, finely chopped
- 100 gm tomato puree
- 2 tsp cinnamon powder
- 2 tsp jaiphal or nutmeg powder
- 2 tsp red chilly powder
- 2 tsp jeera or cumin powder
- 2 tsp dhania or coriander powder
- 2 tsp amchur or dried mango powder
- 2 tsp garam masala
- 1 tsp haldi or turmeric powder
- Salt as per taste
- 4 tbsp butter/oil or a vegan substitute
- 5 to 6 tbsp cream or cashew paste
- Wrap the tofu in a thin cloth.
Holding the tofu with the cloth, try and remove as much water/moisture as possible.
- In a kadhai or wok saute the onion and garlic in a little of the butter.
Vegans can replace the butter with oil or any vegan substitute.
- Add the tomato puree and stir well.
Add the cinnamon, nutmeg, red chilly powder, turmeric, cumin powder, coriander powder, amchur, garam masala and salt.
Add the cream. Vegans, you can substitute cream with equal amounts of cashew paste.
Add the rest of the butter/oil and simmer on low heat till the gravy becomes thick and creamy.
- Cut tofu and shallow fry in another frying pan till tofu turns yellowish-pink.
- Add it to the gravy and cook for 5 more minutes.
- Serve hot with rice and butter naan or kulcha.
What would you like to cook for Kamala Harris?
Please don't forget to share pix of your dish. And a video too, if you have it. We'll publish the best entries on Rediff.com.