Mumbai-based Ramapriya Suresh shows you how to make traditional fish masala.
Photograph and video: Vignesh S Moopanar/Ammu's Kitchen
Tangy Fish Masala
Watch the video to see how to make tangy fish masala at home:
- 4 to 5 pieces of black pomfret
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 2 tsp turmeric powder
- 2 tsp red chilli powder
- 2 tsp jeera
- 8 to 10 garlic
- 4 to 5 dried red chillies
- 1 green chilli
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 1 cup tamarind juice
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1 tsp kasuri methi
- 4 to 5 curry leaves
- Fresh coriander to garnish
- Wash pomfret well and drain water.
- Marinate with turmeric, red chilli powder and salt. Keep aside for 20 minutes.
- To make masala paste, dry roast jeera, garlic and red chillies.
- In a mixer, add roasted jeera, red chillies, green chilli, red chilli powder, coriander powder and blend well by adding some water.
- Heat some oil in a skillet or flat bottom pan.
- Place the fish masala and cook well on both sides.
- Heat oil in a kadhai. Add 1 chopped onion and saute well. Add masala and mix well.
- Add salt as required.
- Cool till oil separates.
- Add kasuri methi and fresh curry leaves.
- Add tamarind juice and mix well.
- Cook till it bubbles.
- Add prepared fish and coat the masala well.
- Add coconut milk and cook on medium flame.
- Garnish with coriander leaves.
- Cover with lid and cook for another 10 minutes on low to medium flame.