Chef John Macedonius Fernandes and Chef Suriya Preechapiputpong share two recipes with Thai-inspired flavours.
Gaeng Kiew Wan Gai (Thai green curry with eggplant)
- 120 gm chicken thigh, boneless
- 50 gm green eggplant
- 10 gm Thai eggplant
- 5 gm sweet basil
- 2 gm kafir lime leaves
- 10 gm fresh red chilli
- 200 ml coconut milk
- 40 gm Thai green curry paste
- 15 gm fish sauce
- 30 gm jaggery
- 2 gm salt
- 5 gm boullion
- 200 gm steamed rice
- Simmer thick coconut milk till its oil comes out.
- Add the curry paste and saute till it gets a nice aroma.
Add the chicken and combine with the curry paste.
Add thin coconut milk, boullion, fish sauce, jaggery and keep simmering till chicken is cooked.
Add the eggplant (green and Thai) when the curry is boiling for 2-3 minutes.
Add sliced red chilli, kafir leaves and sweet basil and stir it well in the gravy.
Turn off the heat and garnish with chopped coriander.
Mix well and serve with steamed rice.
Som Tam with fish sauce
- 150 gm raw papaya, shredded
- 20 gm carrot, shredded
- 20 gm long beans (small batons)
- 20 gm cherry tomato, cut in half
- 5 gm bird eye chillies, crushed
- 5 gm garlic, chopped
- 20 gm roasted peanuts
- 5 gm palm sugar
- 5 ml fish sauce
- 5 ml lime juice
For the sauce
- Blend the chilli, garlic, palm sugar and fish sauce together well to a taste of sweet, sour and salty flavour.
For the Som Tam
- In a mixing bowl, add the shredded raw papaya, carrot, long beans, cherry tomato, crushed peanut and the sauce. Mix well.
Serve the dish topped with roasted peanuts.