The six Muslim girl students of the Government Pre University Girls College in the coastal town of Udupi did not turn up for classes on Wednesday, a day after their petition seeking permission to wear hijab inside classrooms was dismissed by the Karnataka high court.
Even as the ruling Bharatiya Janata Party was defeated in the Karnataka assembly elections, the party retained its traditional stronghold in the coastal region by securing victories in 11 of the 13 constituencies in the twin districts of Dakshina Kannada and Udupi.
Notwithstanding the Centre's decision to hand over 2008 Malegaon blast probe to the National Investigation Agency, the Maharashtra Anti-Terrorist Squad on Thursday filed a charge sheet alleging that Abhinav Bharat activist Praveen Mutalik was the key conspirator in the bombings that left six people dead.
While the BJP believes that Muthalik will help the party secure more votes in northern Karnakata, many of the party's supporters in urban areas are uncomfortable with his induction, says Vicky Nanjappa
Praveen Mutalik, an absconding accused in the 2008 Malegaon bomb blast case, has been arrested from Karnataka by the Maharashtra Anti-Terrorism Squad.
There were reports of such incidents at temples in various places including Bengaluru, Hubballi, Belagavi, Mysuru, Chikkamagaluru, Yadgir, Mandya and Kolar among other places.
'Friends, Indians, countrywomen... lend me your thongs.' The clarion-call has gone out, and every woman I know with half an online presence is championing the cause of the awesomely named Consortium Of Pubgoing, Loose and Forward Women, an organisation that essentially wants to give the Sri Ram Sena some love -- and what better way to do that then send them something pink and lacy?
Protesting beef fests organised by political parties and organisations, a Hindu outfit in Coimbatore on Monday said it would stage a counter-agitation serving pork meat.
Goa Chief Minister Manohar Parrikar, who earlier on Thursday apologised for the use of word `negro' in a written reply in the legislative assembly, accused that senior journalist Tarun Tejpal might be behind the coverage of the issue.
Shri Ram Sena chief Pramod Muthalik was on Monday granted bail by a court in Virajpet in connection with a case filed against him for making 'a provocative' speech during December 2003. Granting the bail, Principal Sessions Judge R Ashok directed Muthalik to furnish a bond for Rs one lakh and a surety of the sum. M B Nanaiah, the counsel for Muthalik, urged the court to grant bail to his client. The case was filed against Muthalik for allegedly making a provocative speech.
Muthalik had expressed his desire to set up base in Goa on the ground that the culture there was becoming extremely westernised. He had said there was a need to change this culture and hence, would be setting up Shri Ram Sena offices in Goa.
Initial reports of Muthalik's interrogation make it clear that he was the man who helped with the logistics and was one among the three who planted the bombs at Malegaon.
The Shri Ram Sena, on its part, says that it has no intentions of disrupting the Valentine's Day celebrations. The chief of the Shri Ram Sena, Pramod Muthalik, in this exclusive interview with rediff.com's Vicky Nanjappa, says that his organsation will create a huge awareness drive against it.
Sri Ram Sene chief Pramod Muthalik, who stirred a controversy with an attack on pub goers in Mangalore by his activists, has been arrested again for making inflammatory speeches during communal riots in Mysore and remanded to judicial custody till August 7.Muthalik, 46, who is out on bail in the January pub attack case, was arrested from Belgaum on Friday night for allegedly making speeches hurting sentiments of a particular community during the Mysore communal clashes.
The Shri Ram Sena has called off its proposed protests against Valentine's Day protests in Bengaluru. Sena founder Pramod Muthalik said that the decision to call off the protests was taken after they received specific information that some miscreants were planning to disrupt peace.
The Belgaum police on Tuesday arrested Pramod Muthalik, the founder of Hindu right-wing organisation Shri Ram Sena, in connection with the attack on a group of girls in a Mangalore pub on Saturday.Muthalik was detained immediately after he addressed a press conference in Belgaum, where he condemned the attack. Terming the incident regrettable, he declared that the Sena would continue to 'protect Indian culture'. The police had launched a manhunt for Muthalik.
'We don't want hardcores like Pramod Muthalik in Goa. We vehemently oppose people who share Muthalik's tendencies. We don't need cultural watchdogs in Goa.' BJP MLA Vishnu Wagh lashes out at Goa's anti-bikini minister Sudin Dhavalikar in this exclusive interview to Prasanna D Zore/Rediff.com
Unfazed by the outrage over its attack on a Mangalore pub, the self-styled moral brigade of the Sri Ram Sena on Thursday threatened to forcibly "marry off" couples dating in public on Valentine's Day. Sena founder Pramod Muthalik said that his activists would hold protests at hotels, hostels and colleges where Valentine's Day celebrations are held.
Two members of the Mumbai ATS -- Inspector Vakhade and Assistant Inspector Sayyad -- had arrived in Mangalore city on Friday to interrogate Muthalik. The decision to interrogate Muthalik was taken following the statements of Lt Colonel Purohit (Malegaon blast prime accused). "I don't think the ATS has anything against me," he told media persons outside the court, adding, "I also don't think I will be arrested."
A Mangalore court on Friday declined bail to Sri Ram Sena chief Pramod Muthalik, who was arrested in connection with Saturday's attack on a group of women in a local pub.The Judicial Magistrate First Class (JMFC)-II K S Vijay sent Muthalik in police custody till Saturday. The Sri Ram Sena leader has been arrested in connection with Saturday's attack on a pub by the activists of his outfit, who thrashed women and others in an act of moral policing.
Sri Ram Sena chief Pramod Muthalik, arrested in connection with Saturday's attack on a pub in Mangalore, was on Thursday produced before a local court.Muthalik, who was arrested in Davanagere on Wednesday soon after a court granted him bail in another case, was brought to Mangalore today afternoon.He has been arrested in connection with Saturday's attack on a pub by the activists of his outfit, who thrashed women and others in an act of moral policing.
The Shri Ram Sena is sticking to its guns that it will not permit Valentine's Day celebrations and also warning that they will keep a watch on the kind of clothes women wear. Founder Pramod Muthalik however added that their protests would be peaceful.
Pramod Muthalik, the founder of the Shri Ram Sena whose activists attacked a pub in Mangalore and assaulted a group of women, says they will continue to 'safeguard Indian culture'.
Raking up the snoopgate scandal allegedly involving Narendra Modi, the Congress on Monday wondered if women of the country would like to have a person like Modi in their households, who is known for his "anti-women attitude".
Hours after Sri Ram Sene announced plans to start its operations in Goa, Chief Minister Laxmikant Parsekar on Monday said the state government will extend the ban on the controversial right-wing outfit for 6 months.
A fresh controversy erupted in the Bharatiya Janata Party with senior leader Mukhtar Abbas Naqvi making an angry outburst against induction of expelled Janata Dal-United leader Sabir Ali whom he called a "friend" of terrorist Yasin Bhatkal and mocked that Dawood Ibrahim could be the next entrant.
Right wing outfit Sri Ram Sene has threatened to disrupt the India-Pakistan T20 cricket match at M Chinnaswamy Stadium in Bangalore on December 25, and asked the BJP government in Karnataka to refuse permission for the fixture.
The film works because of Niveditha's performance.
Atul Anjan claimed such ads promoted sexuality and ruined people's sensibilities.
The Shri Ram Sene, which had been in the news following the infamous attacks on pub-going women in Mangalore in 2009, is once again in the spotlight.
It was an interesting move on part of the Mumbai Anti-Terrotist Squad, who filed a 305 page chargesheet against Praveen Muthalik in the Malegaon blasts case. This chargesheet is significant, since it comes at a time when the National Investigation Agency has been ordered to take up the same case and reprobe it.
On Sunday, the Bharatiya Janata Party overturned its decision on inducting the controversial Sri Ram Sene chief Paramod Muthalik, and a day later, it was the Congress' turn. Dinker Shetty, an accused in the infamous Mangalore pub attack incident had joined the Congress, had his membership cancelled and his induction put on hold.
Right wing outfit Sri Rama Sene, which was in the eye of a storm after its activists attacked women at a pub in Mangalore in 2008, said on Monday that it would not allow Valentine's Day celebrations in Karnataka.
The Ram Sene chief Pramod Muthalik who shot to fame following the infamous assault on girls at a pub in Mangalore was caught on camera accepting money from an undercover reporter who posed as an artist. After allegedly accepting a token contribution of Rs 10,000 for his contribution to the Hindutva cause, the reporter discussed a proposal with Muthalik, wherein Muthalik would arrange for a mob to attack the reporter's painting exhibhition.
The bandh call given by the Sri Ram Sene in Karnataka has received mixed response so far, with parts of the state bearing the brunt of the strike.
Congress workers torched six buses and a police jeep at Hulkoti, approximately 10 km from Mangalore on Friday, in protest against a garland of slippers being placed on the statue of a late veteran party state leader, allegedly by Sri Ram Sene activists. The Sene activists were suspected to have carried out the act to give vent to their anger against blackening of the face of their leader Pramod Muthalik and an attempt to assault him, allegedly by Youth Congress workers.
The Centre on Friday asked the Karnataka government to file cases under stronger laws against Sri Ram Sena chief Pramod Muthalik and the organisation's activists, who were arrested by the police ahead of Valentine's Day. "The accused should be booked under stronger laws. Their bail should be cancelled also," Women and Child Development Minister Renuka Chowdhury said in a letter to Karnataka Chief Minister B S Yeddyurappa.
The Sri Ram Sena, which hit the headlines after its activists attacked girls in a pub in Mangalore recently, on Saturday said that false allegations were leveled against the outfit about its involvement in the alleged abduction of the daughter of a Kerala Member of Legislative Assembly on Friday night.
38-year-old Rashid Malbari,alias Rashid Hussain Sheikh, a close aide of gangster Chota Shakeel had planned to kidnap a Dubai-based businessman returning to Mangalore for a ransom of Rs 5 crore. The ransom amount was to be used it to assassinate Varun Gandhi and Pramod Muthalik, Malbari confessed before the Mangalore police.
Two more persons belonging to the dreaded D-Company were picked up in Mangalore. Detained for questioning, Ismail Kaup and Athik, the police say, were closely associated with Rashid Malabari.