News APP

NewsApp (Free)

Read news as it happens
Download NewsApp

Available on  gplay  » Sports » EPL PIX: Manchester City rout Luton; Newcastle crush Spurs

EPL PIX: Manchester City rout Luton; Newcastle crush Spurs

Last updated on: April 14, 2024 08:11 IST
Get Rediff News in your Inbox:

Images from the English Premier League matches played on Saturday, April 13.

IMAGE: Josko Gvardiol celebrates scoring Manchester City's fifth goal with teammates during the Premier League match against Luton Town, at Etihad Stadium, Manchester, on Saturday. Photograph: Molly Darlington/Reuters

Champions Manchester City provisionally climbed to the top of the Premier League table after thrashing lowly Luton Town 5-1 on Saturday, with Daiki Hashioka scoring an own goal off his face and Erling Haaland netting his 20th league goal of the season.

Pep Guardiola's men have 73 points with six games remaining in a rip-roaring three-way title race, two points ahead of both Arsenal and Liverpool, who can climb over City with victories in their respective games on Sunday. Relegation-threatened Luton Town are 18th and a point shy of the safety zone.


City got on the scoreboard inside 70 seconds after Jeremy Doku's shot was deflected to Haaland, whose volley smashed hard off poor Hashioka's face and into the net.

IMAGE: Erling Braut Haaland scores Manchester City's third goal from the penalty spot. Photograph: Molly Darlington/Reuters

Mateo Kovacic doubled City's lead in the 64th minute, picking the ball up at the edge of the box and launching it into the top corner. Haaland then scored from the penalty spot in the 76th after Doku was taken down in the area.

Ross Barkley capitalised on a City defensive blunder to pull one back in the 84th minute before Doku's strike to the far corner after a dazzling dribbling display made it 4-1.

Josko Gvardiol completed the one-sided contest by netting seconds before the final whistle.

Fernandes earns unconvincing Manchester Utd draw at Bournemouth

Bruno Fernandes scores Manchester United's second goal from the penalty spot against AFC Bournemouth at Vitality Stadium, Bournemouth.

IMAGE: Bruno Fernandes scores Manchester United's second goal from the penalty spot against AFC Bournemouth at Vitality Stadium, Bournemouth. Photograph: Matthew Childs/Reuters

Bruno Fernandes equalised twice to rescue an unconvincing 2-2 draw for Manchester United at Bournemouth as they dropped to seventh place in the Premier League table.

The Portuguese came to the rescue after Bournemouth had deservedly led with goals by the in-form Dominic Solanke and Justin Kluivert and although the visitors pressed for a winner, it would have been undeserved.

United were left relieved as Bournemouth were awarded a penalty in stoppage time when Ryan Christie's run was ended by a foul but a VAR check ruled it was just outside the area.

United, who have now gone four league games without a win, are on 50 points from 32 games, below Newcastle United on goal difference after their 4-0 rout of Tottenham Hotspur.

It was another patchy display by Erik Ten Hag's side who were again guilty of allowing opponents far too many attempts at goal, Bournemouth having 20 to United's eight.

United remained 10 points behind fourth-placed Aston Villa who are in the final guaranteed Champions League place and are in danger of missing out on Europe altogether.

Twelfth-placed Bournemouth created several early chances and led through Solanke's clinical finish in the 16th minute.

The striker was played into space and made no mistake as he cut in to drill home his 17th league goal of the season -- prompting more discussion about an England call-up for this summer's European Championship.

Luis Sinisterra was agonisingly close to making it 2-0 while Milos Kerkez had a shot saved by Andre Onana as Bournemouth looked like scoring every time they went forward.

United equalised when Fernandes reacted superbly when a ball bounced up off a Bournemouth defender and he swivelled on the spot to blast a volley past Neto.

But the visitors did not heed their lesson and were undone all too easily minutes later as a ball by Marcos Senesi found Kluivert in space and he drilled a low shot past Onana.

Kerkez the headed against the crossbar as United wobbled and Bournemouth were to regret their failure to kill off the game as Kobbie Mainoo's shot took a deflection and struck Smith's arm for a penalty was awarded.

Fernandes rolled home the spot-kick for his eighth league goal of the season but United still needed a late slice of luck to emerge with a point from another disjointed display.

Isak brace leads Newcastle to big win over Spurs

Alexander Isak scores Newcastle United's third against goal Tottenham Hotspur at St James' Park.

IMAGE: Alexander Isak scores Newcastle United's third against goal Tottenham Hotspur at St James' Park. Photograph: Lee Smith/Reuters

A dominant Newcastle United struck twice within 95 seconds as Alexander Isak's brace helped them secure a 4-0 win over Tottenham Hotspur, a vital result in their bid to qualify for European competition.

Newcastle, unbeaten at home since January, moved up to sixth place in the standings with 50 points from 32 matches, level with Manchester United, who drew 2-2 with Bournemouth later in the day.

Spurs are fifth with 60 points.

Isak scored at the half-hour mark when Anthony Gordon got hold of a long ball, shook off Destiny Udogie and sent it through to the striker who entered the box, got around defender Micky van de Ven and found the net.

The hosts doubled their in less than two minutes when Gordon intercepted a back pass from Pedro Porro in the box, evaded Van de Ven and fired it at inside far post.

Isak scored again six minutes into the second half when Bruno Guimaraes sent a long ball behind Spurs' backine. The Sweden forward left the defenders behind with his sprint and beat the keeper with ease.

The Newcastle top scorer has now been on the scoresheet in six league home games in a row and has netted 12 goals in his last 12 matches at St James' Park. He has scored 17 goals in the league this season, two less than leading scorer Erling Haaland.

Fabian Schar scored Newcastle's fourth goal in the 87th minute when he headed Gordon's perfectly delivered corner kick into the net.

Newcastle continue their campaign at Crystal Palace on Wednesday.

Brentford secure long-awaited win over Sheffield United

Brentford secured a 2-0 home win over rock-bottom Sheffield United to end their winless run of nine Premier League games under coach Thomas Frank.

In the 63rd minute, Brentford’s Mikkel Damsgaard fired a shot at goal that was tipped into the back of the net by Sheffield United's Oliver Arblaster past his own keeper Ivo Grbic.

IMAGE: Frank Onyeka scores Brentford's second goal. Photograph: Isabel Infantes/Reuters

With his first goal for the West London club, Frank Onyeka doubled the hosts' advantage following an assist from his fellow substitute Kevin Schade in the 93rd minute. Brentford also had two efforts disallowed for offside and a foul.

Brentford moved up a place to 14th in the table on 32 points, ahead of Crystal Palace who play Liverpool on Sunday. They are seven points clear of the relegation zone with five games to play.

Sheffield United remained at the foot of the standings on 16 points.

Struggling Burnley settle for draw v Brighton

IMAGE:  Burnley's Arijanet Muric reacts as Josh Brownhill scores an own goal and Brighton & Hove Albion's first goal. Photograph: Craig Brough/Reuters

An own-goal by goalkeeper Arijanet Muric handed Burnley a setback in their Premier League survival hopes as they had to settle for a 1-1 draw against Brighton & Hove Albion at Turf Moor.

The hosts had taken the lead in the 74th minute through substitute Josh Brownhill, who found the net with a left-footed shot from the middle of the box.

But their joy was short-lived as goalkeeper Muric failed to handle a pass from a defender, sending the ball into his own net five minutes later.

Burnley remain 19th in the standings with 20 points, while Brighton are 10th.

Wolves’ Cunha punishes struggling Forest

Matheus Cunha scored twice for Wolverhampton Wanderers in his first start in two months as relegation-threatened Nottingham Forest let a second-half lead slip in their 2-2 Premier League draw at the City Ground.

Cunha gave Wolves a first-half lead with a superb solo goal, before the excellent Morgan Gibbs-White equalised on the stroke of halftime and Danilo put Forest in front before the hour-mark.

IMAGE:  Wolverhampton Wanderers's Max Kilman and Jose Sa in action with Nottingham Forest's Chris Wood. Photograph: Paul Childs/Reuters

But a mistake by goalkeeper Matz Sels allowed Cunha to score his second and while the home side dominated much of the contest through possession and chances, they were unable to find a winner.

Forest, who are appealing a decision to deduct four points from them for breaching Premier League Profit and Sustainability rules, have 26 points from 33 games, one more than 18th placed Luton Town in the relegation zone.

Former Wolves manager Nuno Espirito Santo, now in charge at Forest, will be disappointed with his side's defending and inability to turn their incessant pressure into goals in what he will see as two points dropped.

Injury-hit Wolves stayed 11th with 43 points from 32 games and to their credit kept battling for something from the game, though this result likely ends their hopes of winning a place in European competition next season.

Get Rediff News in your Inbox:
© Copyright 2024 Reuters Limited. All rights reserved. Republication or redistribution of Reuters content, including by framing or similar means, is expressly prohibited without the prior written consent of Reuters. Reuters shall not be liable for any errors or delays in the content, or for any actions taken in reliance thereon.