Hitesh Harisinghani's Sindhi-Style Mutton, also known as Teevan, is an exotic combination of minced meat and chunks of mutton cooked with onions, tomatoes and spices.
Make it over the weekend at leisure, and don't forget to stock up on pav or roti to mop it up with.
- ½ kg mutton kheema or mince
- ½ kg mutton with bones, chopped into medium-sized pieces
- 3-4 onions, chopped
- 3-4 tomatoes, chopped
- 3-4 tej patta or bay leaves
- 2-inch stick of dalchini or cinnamon
- 4-5 long or cloves
- 8-10 black peppercorns
- 2-3 green elaichi or cardamon
- 1 tsp jeera or cumin
- Oil as required
- ½ cup chopped green dhania or coriander or cilantro
- 4-5 green chillies, roughly chopped
- 2-inch piece ginger, chopped
- 5-6 pods garlic
- 2 tsp red chilly powder
- 2 tsp dhania or coriander powder
- 1 tsp haldi or turmeric powder
- 2 tsp garam masala
- Salt to taste
For marinating the mutton
- For the marinate, grind the chopped coriander, green chillies, ginger, garlic in a mixer.
Add a little water and blend to a coarse paste.
- In a large bowl, mix the marinate with the chopped mutton pieces.
Let the mutton marinate for 30 minutes.
- Heat a few tbsp oil in a pressure cooker over medium heat.
Add the jeera and the whole spices and fry a minute or so.
Add the onions and cook until soft and red/pink in colour.
Add the tomatoes and fry for 3-4 minutes more.
Add the mutton kheema and the marinated mutton pieces and cook for 15 minutes in the masala over medium-high heat.
Add the red chilly powder, coriander powder, turmeric powder, garam masala powder, salt.
Cook for 15 minutes until fragrant.
Cover and pressure cook for upto 3 whistles.
Take off heat and and let the pressure release.
Open the cooker to check if the mutton is cooked and tender.
Garnish with coriander leaves and serve with pav or roti.
Do you have any recipes to share? Please mail the recipe(s) to firstname.lastname@example.org (SUBJECT: RECIPE) with photographs/videos of the recipe, your name, location and a photograph of yours.