A low-calorie breakfast recipe by Chef Shantanu Gupte that's simple and tasty.
Ragi or finger millets are an excellent source of protein, antioxidants and fibre and are gluten free.
- ¾ cup or 125 gm ragi or finger millet powder
- ½ cup or 90 gm oats flour
- 1 egg
- ½ tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp honey
- 1 ripe banana
- 1 diced mango
- 2 tbsp skimmed milk, or more
- Yoghurt, for the garnish
- Honey, for the garnish
- Mint leaves, for the garnish
- 1 tsp or more oil for frying the pancakes
- In a bowl mash the ripe banana using a fork.
Add the ragi powder, oats flour, egg, honey and baking powder.
Add the milk and give it a good stir. Add more milk if needed. The batter should be smooth and coat the back of the spoon.
Lightly fold in half of the diced mango. Reserve the other half for the garnish.
- Heat the oil in a heavy-bottomed pan placed over medium heat.
Pour a ladle of the batter in, spread in a thin circle and cook on one side. When bubbles begin to appear, flip and let it cook on the other side.
The pancake should be golden-brown colour on both sides.
Repeat the process for the other pancakes.
Place a few pancakes, one above the other, on a plate.
Add a dollop of yoghurt on top and garnish with the remaining mango cubes.
Garnish with the mint. You can drizzle more honey if required. Serve warm.
Chef Shantanu Gupte is the founder of Shiifu and Chef Shan Cakes, Mumbai.