Rediff Reader and food blogger Sangita Agrawal shares a popular recipe!
Chawal ki Kheer or rice pudding is a common dessert prepared during Indian festivals.
It's easy to make and requires few ingredients.
Here's the recipe:
Preparation time: 5 minutes
Total time: 40 minutes
- 1 litre full cream milk
- 20 gm small grain rice
- 100 gm sugar
- 1 tbsp almonds sliced
- 1 tsp pista sliced
- 1/2 tsp cardamom powder
- A few strands of saffron soaked in 1 tsp milk
- Wash the rice well and add 2 to 3 drops of ghee. Mix and set aside.
- Soak saffron and keep aside.
- Boil milk in a heavy bottom sauce-pan on low heat. Stir it frequently.
- Add rice after 5 minutes, stir and let it boil till the rice is cooked and the milk has been reduced by half of its original quantity.
- Keep stirring in between to prevent burning.
- Add sugar and continue to boil till the kheer is thick.
- Switch off the heat; add the nuts, saffron and cardamom.
- Serve it hot or cold as per your liking.
Would you like to share an interesting recipe or cooking video?