Here's a traditional recipe you can make using kathal (tender jackfruit).
Chunks of tender jackfruit flavoured with coconut and mustard
Recipe by Ajay Mathur, executive chef, Jaypee Palace Hotel, Agra
- 400 gm kathal (jackfruit)
- 35 ml coconut oil
- 2 gm mustard seeds
- 90 ml coconut milk
- 10 gm chilli powder
- 3 gm turmeric powder
- 5 gm salt
- A few curry leaves
- 15 gm garlic
- 1 chopped onion
- 50 gm ginger
- 2-3 whole red chillies
- 5 gm green chillies
- Apply coconut oil on your hands and cut the kathal into small chunks.
- Place it upright and cut off the outer rind completely.
- Boil the kathal with turmeric powder and salt.
- Grind the ginger, garlic, green chillies and onion. Keep aside.
- Heat coconut oil and add mustard seeds. When they crackle, add pounded garlic, ginger and onion mixture.
- Add coconut milk.
- When mixture begins to change colour add boiled jackfruit chunks and stir for some time.
- Cook with a lid until kathal cooks fully.
- Temper with whole red chillies and curry leaves and serve hot with rice or roti.
Do you have an interesting recipe you want to share with us?