Bored of spending time at home? Try out these yummy recipes.
- 4 eggs
- Handful of basil leaves
For the sauce:
- 2 tsp mustard oil + extra for pancake
- 1 yellow pepper, quartered, deseeded and thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1 tbsp cider vinegar
- 400 gm chopped tomatoes
- Wholemeal bread or salad leaves, to serve
For the sauce:
- Heat oil in a large frying pan and fry pepper and garlic for 5 minutes to soften them. Spoon in the cider vinegar and allow to sizzle away. Tip in the tomatoes, then measure in a third of a can of water. Cover and leave to simmer for 10-15 mins until the peppers are tender and the sauce is thick.
For the pancakes:
- Beat 1 egg with 1 tsp water and seasoning. Heat a small non-stick frying pan with a tiny amount of oil. Add the egg mixture and cook for 1-2 mins until set into a thin pancake. Lift onto a plate, cover with foil and repeat with the other eggs. Roll up onto warm plates, spoon over the sauce and scatter with the basil. Serve with bread or a salad on the side.
Ginger Chilli Sizzled Fish
- 6 fish fillets, about 140 gm, skin on and scaled
- 3 tbsp sunflower oil
- Large knob of ginger, peeled and shredded into matchsticks
- 3 cloves of garlic, thinly sliced
- 3 fat, fresh red chillies, deseeded and thinly shredded
- 1 bunch shredded spring onion
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- Salt and pepper
- Season fish fillets with salt and pepper, then slash the skin three times. Heat a heavy-based frying pan and add 1 tbsp sunflower oil.
- Once hot, fry the sea bass fillets, skin-side down, for five minutes or until the skin is very crisp and golden. The fish will be almost cooked through.Turnover, cook for another 30 seconds to a minute, then transfer to a serving plate and keep warm. You'll need to fry the sea bass fillets in 2 batches.
- Heat 2 tbsp sunflower oil, then fry the large knob of peeled ginger, cut into matchsticks, 3 thinly sliced garlic cloves and 3 thinly shredded red chillies for about 2 mins until golden. Take off the heat and toss in the bunch of shredded spring onions. Splash the fish with 1 tbsp soy sauce and spoon over the contents of the pan.
Merajuddin Ansari is the executive chef of Four Points by Sheraton Navi Mumbai.
Lead pic used for representational purpose only. Photograph: Courtesy Pixabay.com