Rediff reader Sujata Nair shares a traditional recipe.
You can share your favourite recipes too!
Kerala Fish Curry
- 2 onions finely chopped
- 300 gm fish
- 1 tsp ginger grated
- Handful curry leaves
- One small ball of kodam pulli (Kerala tamarind) soaked in 1 cup warm water
- ½ tsp mustard seeds
- ¼ tsp methi seeds
- 1 green chilli finely chopped
- ¼ tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp red chili powder
- ½ tsp coriander powder
- ½ tsp black pepper powder
- ¼ garam masala powder
- 1 tbsp oil
- Salt to taste
- Heat oil in an earthen pot. Add mustard seeds.
- Once it splutters, add methi seeds and curry leaves.
- Add onions. Sauté for two minutes.
- Add green chili, ginger, garlic, and sauté until the onions are cooked and slightly brown.
- Mix all the dry masalas in little water and add to the cooked onions.
- Cook on low heat until oil separates from masala.
- Mash the tamarind with the water, strain and add the water (minus the tamarind) to the pot.
- Simmer and cook until oil floats on top. Add salt.
- Add fish pieces into the pot.
- Simmer and cook for 4-5 minutes.
- Do not stir vigorously as it will break the fish pieces.
- Adjust gravy and seasoning as per taste.
- Add freshly chopped coriander leaves.
- Enjoy with steamed rice.
Have an interesting recipe or cooking video to share?