The National Company Law Tribunal (NCLT) on Monday gave its approval to Jio for the acquisition of Reliance Infratel (RITL). The tribunal asked Jio to deposit Rs 3,720 crore in the State Bank of India (SBI) escrow account to complete the acquisition of RCOM's tower and fibre assets. On November 6, Jio had proposed to deposit Rs 3,720 crore in an escrow account to complete the acquisition of Reliance Infratel which is undergoing an insolvency resolution process.
In a significant development, the Supreme Court on Tuesday sought responses from the Centre, CBI, ED, Anil Ambani and the Anil Dhirubhai Ambani Group (ADAG) on a PIL seeking a court-monitored probe into alleged massive banking and corporate fraud involving the ADAG and its group companies.
According to sources, Reliance Infratel would offer 10 per cent equity to the public valued at Rs 5,000-6,000 crore (Rs 50-60 billion). Reliance Infratel is the telecom infrastructure division of Reliance Communications Ltd.
Reliance Infratel, a subsidiary of Reliance Communications has filed papers with Sebi for issuing IPO.
The Securities and Exchange Board of India (SEBI) has cleared Reliance Infratel's draft red herring prospectus for its proposed initial public offering (IPO). Reliance Infratel will offer 10 per cent equity under the proposed IPO.
State Bank of India has decided to classify the loan account of beleaguered telecom firm Reliance Communications as "fraud" and to report the name of its erstwhile director -- Anil Ambani to the Reserve Bank of India (RBI), according to a regulatory filing. Reliance Communications in a regulatory filing said that it has received a letter dated June 23, 2025 from the State Bank of India (SBI) to this effect.
Reliance Infratel, the tower business arm of the group's telecom entity Reliance Communications, has allowed the regulatory approval to lapse without coming out with an IPO and is unlikely to revive the process soon. A company spokesperson did not take queries on lapse of the approval period and on whether the company was looking to revive the process by filing a fresh draft IPO prospectus with market regulator Sebi.
Despite posting a loss, the company has declared a modest dividend.
NCLAT chairman Justice S J Mukhopadhaya dismissed the pleas against Ambani and officials after observing that consent terms agreed upon between RCom and minority shareholders for payment of dues cannot be a ground for initiation of contempt proceedings.
Anil Ambani had given a personal guarantee to the loans given by SBI to Reliance Communications and Reliance Infratel in August 2016.
As of March 31, 2010, RCom held a 89.71 per cent stake in Reliance Infratel.
Anil Ambani-led Reliance Communications on Tuesday said it may sell 26 per cent stake in the company, and also list its telecom tower subsidiary Reliance Infratel, to become debt free.
Reliance Communications, whose board on Tuesday approved the proposal for Reliance Infratel IPO, would also consider fund raising through qualified institutional placement basis at an appropriate time.
Reliance Infratel, a subsidiary of the group's telecom arm RCom, is looking to dilute 10-15 per cent stake in a private placement of shares with the PE firms, investment banking sources said. The company had last year scrapped plans to raise about Rs 6,000 crore (Rs 60 billion) through sale of about 10 per cent shares in an IPO due to adverse market conditions.
Reliance group adopted a new name, Reliance Infratel, before filing DRHP for its IPO.
Sources, however, said that the company has entered into a deal with some American and European investors for the pre-IPO placement. The latest deal values the company at around Rs 50,000 crore (Rs 500 billion) while the earlier 5 per cent stake dilution that Reliance Infratel had made, valued the company at about Rs 28,000 crore (Rs 280 billion).
With the State Bank of India moving the National Company Law Tribunal's Delhi bench to enforce the personal guarantees of Ambani, it will delay the recovery of dues by the Chinese banks which won a UK court order in May this year.
Supreme Court had asked the government to issue RCom a NoC for spectrum sale to Reliance Jio Infocomm by December 9 if it furnishes a corporate guarantee of Rs 1,400 crore
Reliance Communications, Reliance Infratel, Huawei Technologies and Walt Disney Company (India) are among the companies which misused or diverted funds raised from abroad under the ECB route in the last three years, Parliament was informed on Friday.
The UAE-based Emirates Telecommunication Corporation (Etisalat) on Thursday filed a petition against Shahid Balwa and Vinod Goenka, promoters of the beleaguered Swan Telecom, for "fraud and misrepresentation".
Chinese banks -- China Development Bank, China Exim Bank and Industrial and Commercial Bank of China (ICBC) -- will get a lion share of 30 per cent or Rs 7,000 crore in RCOM/RTL/RITL resolution plan, with the DoT getting nothing if the proposed plan goes ahead.
Reliance Communications, India's second-biggest mobile operator, has decided to demerge its telecom tower business -- Reliance Infratel (Rel Infra). The company's board has approved a proposal to restructure the ownership of the tower firm to help create an independent tower company.
Right after it returned to the telecom sector by acquiring Infotel Broadband, Mukesh Ambani's Reliance Industries (RIL) began discussions with brother Anil Ambani's mobile service provider, Reliance Communications (RCom), for a possible sharing of infrastructure.
It is a tale of two deals: One completed and the other, announced and later aborted.
Reliance Communications' tower business Reliance Infratel is likely to enter into an end-to-end telecom infrastructure agreement with Aircel for towers, voice carriage and bulk bandwidth worth about $300 million.
On June 27, the boards of GTL, RCom and its subsidiary Reliance Infratel Ltd had given in-principle approvals to the Rs 50,000-crore ($11 billion) merger deal to create the world's largest independent telecom infrastructure company, neither owned nor controlled by any telecom operator.
The world's largest independent telecom masts player GTL Infrastructure on Wednesday said its expects to complete the merger of Reliance Infratel's tower operations with itself by the middle of next month.
Reliance Infratel, the tower arm of Anil Ambani-led Reliance Communications, has agreed to merge its 50,000-tower portfolio with GTL Infrastructure in a cash and stock deal, making it arguably one of the largest merger and acquisition transactions in India.
The apex court said Ambani and the others will have to purge contempt by paying Rs 453 crore to Ericsson in four weeks. A bench comprising Justices R F Nariman and Vineet Saran said if the 'contemnors' failed to make the payments within the specified period, they will undergo a jail term of three months.
Manoj Tirodkar, chairman of GTL Infra, spoke to Arijit Barman & Katya Naidu bout the different aspects of the transaction.
The telecom tower-transmission business is going to see a shake-up with cash-rich and independent companies moving in with aggressive plans.
Reliance Infratel, the tower business of Anil Ambani-controlled Reliance Communications, is learnt to be in talks with another tower firm GTL to part-sell its stake and also combine the businesses of both entities.
While some bankers said that responses to the Sebi are being delayed deliberately in some of the cases in view of the turbulent market conditions prevailing on the bourses, those associated with some of these deals said these are 'routine' clarifications and would be responded in the due course. According to the latest processing status as on March 14 of draft offer documents filed with Sebi, clarifications are currently awaited from lead managers in relation to 20 IPOs.
Driven by Reliance Infratel's $10.86 billion merger deal with GTL Infrastructure, the total value of merger and acquisition deals in the country jumped nine-fold to $24.8 billion in the second quarter of 2010.
The three companies for sale are Reliance Communications, Reliance Telecom and Reliance Infratel.
The Delhi high court on Thursday put on hold the insolvency resolution process (IRP) proceedings against Reliance Communications (RCom) chairman Anil Ambani in relation to the recovery of Rs 1,200 crore loans given by SBI to his two firms. Ambani had given personal guarantees for the Rs 565 crore and Rs 635 crore SBI loans to RCom and Reliance Infratel Ltd (RITL), respectively, in August 2016.
The Delhi high court on Monday sought the Centre and SBI's reply to former RCom chairman Anil Ambani's plea to include the Chinese banks, which have got a decree of $717 million against him from a court in United Kingdom, in the proceedings related to recovery of Rs 1200 crore loan granted to two of his companies. The high court also said that the moratorium on recoveries from sale of Ambani's assets, as provided under section 96 of the Insolvency and Bankruptcy Code (IBC), would remain in operation for now. This direction came on the application moved by the State Bank of India (SBI) seeking a declaration that the moratorium shall continue to be in effect.
It is estimated that RCom has been reeling under debt of over Rs 46,000 crore.
He, however, seemed to indicate that he did give a personal guarantee to India's largest lender SBI, which has moved the NCLT to recover Rs 1,200 crore.
In insolvency proceedings, Ericsson will be treated as only an operational creditor and may end up losing the Rs 550 crore