Suspected pro-Tamil protesters attacked and damaged a hotel run by a native of Karnataka in Chennai.
Chairman of the Cauvery Water Disputes Tribunal Justice N P Singh has resigned from his post citing ill health. Sources in the water resources ministry said Justice Singh, 80, had sent his resignation papers earlier this week.
On October 18, the apex court had directed Karnataka to keep supplying Tamil Nadu with 2,000 cusecs of water till further orders.
Deputy Chief Minister D K Shivakumar said the borewell in his house in Sadashivanagar in the state capital has gone dry for the first time. This happened despite the fact that Sadashivanagar is located next to Sankey Lake.
The emotional appeal and sane advise came from the bench when Tamil Nadu brought to the notice of the court that the Karnataka chief minister has said that not a drop of water will be released to it.
He claimed that a couple of days ago Karunanidhi had reportedly said in Thanjavur that the award was more advantageous to Tamil Nadu than to Karnataka.
Vehicles have stopped plying from Sathyamangalam near Erode to Mysore following demonstrations and hartal by some Kannada outfits in parts of Karnataka protesting the Supreme Court directive to release 10,000 cusecs of water to Tamil Nadu.
Vehicles have stopped plying from Sathyamangalam near Erode to Mysore following demonstrations and hartal by some Kannada outfits in parts of Karnataka protesting the Supreme Court directive to release 10,000 cusecs of water to Tamil Nadu.
What some of our leaders were up to on Tuesday.
He said Karnataka's decision to release water will help Tamil Nadu's farmers.
The Supreme Court on Tuesday retained its direction to Karnataka to release 2000 cusecs of Cauvery water per day to Tamil Nadu till further orders.
After six years, the final award of the Cauvery Waters Dispute Tribunal was notified on Wednesday. The move came after the Supreme Court rapped the Centre for delaying the decision. The apex court had set February 20 as the deadline to issue the notification.
The Tamil Nadu-Karnataka bickering over Hogenakkal is back. Karnataka, with a new government in place, now says the Hogenakkal drinking water project does not fall under the purview of the decision of the Cauvery Water Tribunal.
The Cauvery Supervisory Committee had on September 19 asked Karnataka to release 3,000 cusecs per day but the Apex Court had on September 20 doubled the quantum.
The SC also directed the Centre to constitute a Cauvery management board within four weeks.
Amid a row over Cauvery water sharing, Karnataka will file a review petition on Tuesday before Cauvery River Authority after Prime Minister Manmohan Singh made it clear that only the authority can revisit the decision about the state releasing water to Tamil Nadu.
Protests against release of Cauvery water to Tamil Nadu snowballed in the river basin areas on Thursday, as a central team arrived in Bangalore to assess the water storage levels.
Disregarding an earlier dressing down it had received from the Supreme Court during a hearing on the issue of sharing Cauvery River water, the Karnataka government on Monday took a bold stand when it said it was in no position to release any more water to neighbouring Tamil Nadu.
"Why can't the two Chief Ministers sit together? Give it a try, it is not impossible," a bench of justices D K Jain and Madan B Lokur said.
As protests against Cauvery water release to Tamil Nadu continued in the district on Sunday, the local administration banned entry of tourists inside the Krishnaraja Sagar Reservoir complex till February 13 as a precautionary measure.
RIL is likely to take about six months to one year to estimate the oil and gas reserves available from the new discovery.
The Tribunal had on Tuesday last refused to hear clarificatory applications filed by Tamil Nadu, Karnataka, Kerala and Puducherry.
Karnataka Chief Minister Jagadish Shettar on Monday met Union Minister S M Krishna in New Delhi amid demands by Karnataka leaders for a review of Cauvery River Authority's decision asking the state to release 9,000 cusecs of water to Tamil Nadu.
In a goodwill gesture, the Karnataka government on Monday agreed before the Supreme Court to release 10,000 cusecs of water from the Cauvery river to Tamil Nadu till September 20
The mind-boggling figure is spent in the legal battle seeking rights over the river before the Cauvery Water Disputes Tribunal in New Delhi.
His legacy will endure through the countless lives he touched, the legal precedents he set, and the principles he upheld.
Karnataka government on Saturday moved the Supreme court seeking a review of its order directing the state to release Cauvery water to Tamil Nadu even as it faced strident calls from opposition parties not to release the water "at any cost".
There has been constant friction between Karnataka and Tamil Nadu on the Cauvery waters issue, which assumes sharp political tones quite often which is often resolved by the bounty of monsoons.
Karnataka is making a last ditch attempt in this regard after Prime Minister Dr Manmohan Singh had refused to review Karnataka's plea of the CRA.
The Supreme Court and its committees, the two states and the central government must become objective and take the present and not just the past in mind.
In 2019, actor turned-politician Sumalatha Ambareesh, an independent backed by the BJP, won by defeating then Kumaraswamy's son and joint candidate of the then ruling Congress-JD-S alliance Nikhil by 1,25,876 votes.
The Supreme Court on Friday agreed to examine the Cauvery monitoring committee report, which decided that Tamil Nadu would get 8.85 TMC of water next fortnight from the river basin to tide over its distress situation.
Intensifying the legal battle over the Cauvery issue, Tamil Nadu government on Monday decided to move the Supreme Court seeking damages from Karnataka for the loss of crops caused by the neighbouring state's "adamant approach" on release of water.
The Supreme Court today pulled up the Karnataka government for failing to comply with the prime minister-headed Cauvery River Authority's (CRA) directive to release 9,000 cusecs of water to Tamil Nadu.
The SC ruled that Karnataka will now have an enhanced share of 14.75 tmcft water per year while Tamil Nadu will get 404.25 tmcft, which will be 14.75 tmcft less than what was allotted by the tribunal in 2007.
Supreme Court dismisses a plea for reconstitution of the Cauvery Water Disputes Tribunal and paves the way for the proposed visit of two of its members to the river basin.
A possible, easier and less-complicated way for the Centre would have been to approach the SC with the same queries much earlier, before a ground-swell of popular sentiments and consequent political tensions had built up in Tamil Nadu, says N Sathiya Moorthy.
In an interim relief to Tamil Nadu, the Supreme Court directed Karnataka on Wednesday to release 10,000 cusecs of Cauvery water per day its neighbouring state and asked the Cauvery Monitoring Committee to hold its meeting to decide the amount of water required by the states.
Karnataka has filed a review petition before the highest court against the order of the Cauvery River Water Authority headed by the prime minister, reports Vicky Nanjappa.
Tensions flared up in Karnataka as Tamil Nadu announced that it would go ahead with its drinking water project at Hognekal Falls. Karnataka claims Tamil Nadu does not have clearance from the Centre to go ahead with the project, adding that as the verdict of the water dispute tribunal was under appeal in the Supreme Court, no work could be carried out on the project.