The father of one of the rapists sentenced to death by a Delhi court for the brutal gang rape and murder of a 23-year-old paramedic in the national capital last December, on Friday said he would explore the option of appealing to a higher court.
Suicide by the main accused in the Delhi gang-rape case has created fear in the minds of the family of another accused Akshay Thakur, who they apprehend, will meet the same fate.
The three convicts who approached the ICJ are Akshay Singh, Pawan Gupta and Vinay Sharma. The International Court of Justice, sometimes called the World Court, is the principal judicial organ of the United Nations.
The HC has issued a notice to Tihar jail authorities and the Nirbhaya convicts and sought their response on a plea moved by the Centre challenging the stay on their execution.
Hours after the clemency plea of Vinay Kumar Sharma, 26, was dismissed by the President, Akshay Thakur, 31, a third death row convict, filed a mercy petition.
Rediff.com takes a look at some cases from the recent past where the courts awarded the capital punishment for horrific crimes that fall under the rarest of rare category.
The fate of four convicts in the December 16 gang rape and murder case will be known on Friday with a Delhi court set to pronounce the much-awaited order on whether their offence falls in the "rarest of rare" category warranting death sentence.
Less than nine months after the December 16 brutal gang rape incident, a fast track Delhi court on Tuesday held all the five accused, including a man who died during the trial, guilty of rape and cold blooded murder of a "defenceless" 23-year-old girl that can fetch them death.
The doctors' response came on the allegation by defence counsel of two accused in the case that the victim was not shifted to Singapore for organ transplant or best possible medical care but because she had died and the government did not want the public to know it.
Eighteen days after the horrific gangrape of a 23-year-old paramedical student, the Delhi police on Thursday filed its chargesheet in a court in Delhi against five men arrested in the case, slapping on them murder, rape, kidnapping and other charges.
An accused in the paramedical student gangrape case, who had been identified during a test identification parade, was on Tuesday remanded in 12 days judicial custody by a Delhi court while another will undergo TIP on Wednesday.
Aurangabad acting superintendent of police Pranav Kumar told PTI that the Delhi police team rigorously questioned the father and brother of the accused, who hails from Lahankarma village of the district and is about 125 km from Patna, before returning to the national capital.
A Delhi court on Thursday fixed January 14 for scrutiny of documents filed with the charge sheet in the case of the December 16 gang rape and murder of a 23-year-old girl.
Saryug Singh, father of Delhi gangrape accused Akshay Thakur, has locked himself in his house along with his wife with security men deputed outside saying they hear frequent wails from inside since the victim's death.
The sixth accused in gang-rape of a girl in Delhi was arrested from his house in Bihar's Aurangabad district on Friday evening.
Just a few kilometres from Tihar Jail where their sons were executed at 5.30 am, the women sit outside their homes in south Delhi's slum colony Ravidas Camp, waiting for the bodies of the two young men who were among the six who so brutally raped a 23-year-old woman on December 16, 2012 that she died of her injuries a fortnight later.
He was later taken to Deen Dayal Upadhyay Hospital where his condition is stated to be stable.
Advocate M L Sharma said one of his clients, Mukesh Singh, was implicated in the case.
The Buxar jail, the only prison in the state having the required knowhow, received an instruction to the effect last week
The neighbours of an accused in the December 16 gang rape case on Thursday claimed in a Delhi court that he was attending a music function with friends and was not in the bus in which a 23-year-old girl was gang-raped by six persons.
One of the accused in the December 16 gang rape case on Thursday claimed before a Delhi court that he, along with other five co-accused, had not beaten or robbed the carpenter that night.
An advocate on Wednesday informed the Delhi high court that he will represent two death row convicts in the December 16 gang rape -- Mukesh and Pawan whose counsel had withdrawn from the case on Tuesday -- but the court rejected his plea for recusal of one of the judges from the case.
Here is the chronology of events in the Nirbhaya case.
One of the accused in the December 16 gang rape case on Wednesday told a Delhi court that he is innocent and claimed that the other five co-accused had brutally assaulted and gang-raped the 23-year-old girl in a moving bus.
The Supreme Court today directed the Delhi police to place before it the dying declaration of the December 16 gang rape victim along with other trial court records of the case in which four convicts were awarded death sentence.
Facing cross-examination for the third day, the lady Investigating Officer who had initially probed the December 16 gang-rape case on Thursday refuted the allegation of accused in a Delhi court that the victim's friend was brought to the police station to see them so that he can identify them later.
The four death row convicts are Mukesh, Vinay Sharma, Akshay Singh and Pawan Gupta.
Two of the accused in December 16 gang rape case on Thursday questioned in a court in New Delhi the authenticity of the girl's dying declaration being relied upon by the Delhi police as they claimed that the same was introduced by the probe agency after her death.
A Delhi court on Monday completed recording of the evidence of prosecution witnesses in the December 16 gangrape case with the investigating officer, saying she had arrested accused after the incident was reported.
The prosecution in the December 16 gang rape case on Saturday told a court in Mumbai that the brutal assault meted out to the victim and her male friend by the alleged rapists was with a motive to "eliminate" them so that neither was left alive to narrate the horrific ordeal.
Nirbhaya's mother Asha Devi said even the court understands that the convicts are filing pleas one after the other just to delay the hanging.
The Supreme Court on Monday stayed till further orders the execution of death penalty of two of the four convicts in the December 16 gang rape and murder case.
The Supreme Court on Saturday stayed till March 31 the execution of death penalty of two of the four convicts in the December 16 gangrape and murder case, a couple of days after the Delhi high court upheld their punishment awarded by the trial court.
The Delhi high court will hear on a day-to-day basis from Wednesday the death penalty reference against the four convicts in the December 16 gang rape and murder case of a 23-year-old girl.
The Supreme Court on Wednesday said that the Juvenile Justice Board be informed not to pronounce its verdict on the alleged role of a minor in the December 16 gangrape and murder case, till it decides a PIL seeking fresh interpretation of the term 'juvenile'.
The juvenile accused in the December 16 gang rape and murder of 23-year-old paramedic on Wednesday denied all the charges against him, claiming that he was not a participant in the horrendous crime.
The Delhi High Court on Thursday upheld the death sentence awarded to the four convicts in the brutal gangrape and murder of a 23-year-old girl in New Delhi on December 16, 2012 that shook the nation's conscience and led to widespread protests.
The father of the Delhi gang rape victim has taken a strong exception to the defence counsel's contention -- that death penalty was awarded to the four convicts under political pressure -- and termed the statement as an insult to the judiciary.
Union Home Minister Sushil Kumar Shinde on Friday hailed as exemplary the death sentence awarded to four convicts in the Delhi gangrape case, saying the victim and her family have got justice.
A five-judge Bench of Justices NV Ramana, Arun Mishra, RF Nariman, R Banumathi and Ashok Bhushan heard the petition filed by Vinay Sharma and Mukesh Singh. The duo had moved a curative petition in the top court after a Delhi court issued death warrants in their names for their hanging on January 22.