'Unfortunately, terrorists in one country are regarded as heroes in another,' Ujjwal Nikam told a global seminar on terrorism organised by the United Nations Security Council in New York.
Ever since the arrest of lone surviving Pakistani 26/11 gunman Ajmal Kasab, there has been talk about the amount that is being spent on his security. While his daily expenditure has been estimated at Rs 3.5 lakh, the amount spent on him so far is close to around Rs 48 crore, of which the charges of the Indo Tibetan Border Police alone is Rs 31 crore.
After delivering the judgment awarding death sentence to Ajmal Kasab, the lone terrorist arrested during the terror siege on Mumbai, Judge Madan Lalakshman Tahaliyani officially recorded his appreciation for Rakesh Maria, former head of the crime branch who investigated the case, and his assistant Deven Bharti. The judge didn't also forget to mention the media's positive role
Special court Judge M L Tahiliyani said, "it appears that accused number one, Mohammed Ajmal Kasab and deceased accused number one, Abu Ismail were never destined to go to Chowpatty."
Forgiving the convicted Pakistani terrorist, the American survivors of 26/11 terror attack on Thursday said death penalty is not a solution for Ajmal Kasab, instead he could be rehabilitated.
Terming his trial by a special court as "unfair", Pakistani terrorist Ajmal Kasab on Thursday demanded a retrial of 26/11 case, a day before the second anniversary of the carnage, claiming that important witnesses were not examined, material evidence not tabled and norms not followed in appointing lawyers to defend him.
A confession should be accepted in toto and not partially, Nikam told justices Ranjana Desai and R V More who are hearing arguments on confirmation of death sentence awarded to Kasab for his role in 26/11 attacks. "Kasab's confession was true and voluntary but its value did not deteriorate only because it was given in the magistrate's chamber and not in open court," he argued.
'We met more than 250 prisoners at random and Kasab was one amongst them,' Eknath Khadse said, trying to pacify the BJP's ally in the state, the Shiv Sena, who has taken umbrage to the visit.
Pakistani terrorist Ajmal Kasab and his companions were instructed by their Lashkar-e-Tayiba handlers on telephone to hold as many hostages as possible during the 26/11 Mumbai terror attacks to demand from the Indian government the creation of a "separate state for Muslims".
Tarun Vijay visits a tent camp in New Delhi where Hindu refugees from Pakistan try and start a new life.
For the Gohils from Colaba not a day passes without shedding a tear for Harish, who fell prey to a stray bullet fired by terrorists at Colaba on November 26, 2008. All of 25, he was a pillar of support for this family of 14. Three years on, they still struggle to pick up the pieces, angry that crores have been spent on Ajmal Kasab, the lone surviving gunman behind the Mumbai attacks.
Several police inspectors went beyond their call of duty and stepped into the firing line to save others when terror struck the heart of Mumbai three years ago. Ganesh A Nadat meets some of them -- those who were hailed as heroes and those who were forgotten.
A Pakistani anti-terror court conducting the trial of Lashkar-e-Tayiba's Zakiur Rehman Lakhvi and six others accused of involvement in the Mumbai attacks dismissed the prosecution's application for naming Ajmal Kasab and Fahim Ansari as "proclaimed offenders" or fugitives on Saturday.
A Pakistani anti-terror court conducting the trial of Lashkar-e-Tayiba's Zakiur Rehman Lakhvi and six others accused of involvement in the Mumbai attacks on Saturday dismissed the prosecution's application for naming Ajmal Kasab and Fahim Ansari as 'proclaimed offenders' or fugitives.
The prosecution, led by advocate Ujjwal Nikam, has concluded its arguments in the 26/11 Mumbai attacks trial case. The prosecution said accused Ajmal Kasab, Faheem Ansari and Sabauddin Ahmed should be held guilty of the Mumbai terror attacks.
Judge Malik Muhammad Akram Awan made the observation after prosecution lawyers were unable to satisfy him on two key issues -- the serving of a non-bailable arrest warrant issued for Ansari and the receipt of written permission from India for sending a commission to interview key witnesses.
Terming the 26/11 terror attack as one sponsored by the Pakistan government, the prosecution on Tuesday opened its final arguments in the case, alleging that the neighbouring country's army was also involved in the dastardly attack."The conspiracy of the 26/11 attack was hatched on Pakistani soil and the inevitable inference can be drawn that the attack was State-sponsored," Special Public Prosecutor Ujjwal Nikam argued.
The Bombay high court on Thursday decided to first hear arguments on confirmation of death sentence awarded to Pakistani terrorist Ajmal Kasab for his role in 26/11 attacks and then proceed with his appeal against conviction and capital punishment. Justices Ranjana Desai and R V More asked the Maharashtra government to open arguments on confirmation of death sentence awarded to Kasab for killing 166 persons in the terror attacks on November 26, 2008.
Pakistani gunman Mohammed Ajmal Kasab, lone captured accused in Mumbai terror attack case, laughed in a special court on Wednesday when he was shown his photos taken on November 26 by a photojournalist.
The Maharashtra government has submitted a CD of CCTV footage showing Pakistani terrorist Ajmal Kasab assaulting jail staff to the Bombay High Court.
Pakistani terrorist Ajmal Kasab facing death penalty for the 2008 Mumbai terror attack claimed in the Supreme Court he was brainwashed like a "robot" into committing the heinous crime in the name of "God" and that he does not deserve capital punishment owing to his young age.
Lawyers defending Lashkar-e-Tayiba commander Zakiur Rehman Lakhvi and six others charged with involvement in the 26/11 Mumbai attacks have said that none of them will go to India as part of a proposed commission to record the testimony of key witnesses, including surviving attacker Ajmal Kasab.
Hasan Ali Khan, the Pune-based stud farm owner arrested on money laundering charges, is the second-most secure inmate of the Arthur Road jail after Ajmal Kasab, lodged like the Pakistani gunman on death row in the high-security 'Anda cell'.
Pakistani investigators have corroborated the statement made by Ajmal Kasab, the lone gunman arrested in Mumbai, even as they concluded that almost all terrorists involved in the 26/11 attack belonged to LeT and there is "sufficient evidence" to prosecute them.
Pakistan government plans to approach an anti-terror court, conducting the trial of seven suspects in the Mumbai attacks, to form a commission that can visit India to record the statements of key witnesses and officials, Interior Minister Rehman has said.
What possible answers could Ajmal Kasab, the Pakistani terrorist convicted in the 26/11 Mumbai attacks case, have given to queries on 'reasons of migration' and 'nature of work' by Census officials? Kasab, whose conviction and death sentence for his role in the November 2008 attacks were upheld by the Bombay high court on Monday, was counted for the 15th National Census. He reportedly answered all the questions asked by the enumerators.Kasab's age is 23 and he hails from Pak.
A Pakistani anti-terror court has adjourned the trial of seven suspects, including Lashkar-e-Tayiba commander Zakiur Rehman Lakhvi, in the 26/11 Mumbai terror attack case till February 26 after prosecutors sought more time for the Lahore high court to decide a related petition.
A Pakistani anti-terrorism court on Friday adjourned the trial of Lashkar-e-Tayiba operative Zakiur Rehman Lakhvi and six others charged with involvement in the Mumbai attacks till February 17 after prosecutors sought more time for the Lahore high court to decide on a related petition. The prosecution team told anti-terrorism court Judge Rana Nisar Ahmed that more time was needed for the high court to decide on its plea.
Pakistan has asked India to send its police officers and magistrates who recorded the statement of Ajmal Kasab, the terrorist sentenced to death for his role in the 26/11 attacks, to testify in a local court.
The special 26/11 trial court terminated Pakistani gunman Ajmal Kasab's lawyer Abbas Kazmi, on Monday, observing that he was "not co-operating with it in the interest of justice."
A Pakistani anti-terrorism court conducting the trial of the seven Mumbai terror attack suspects on Saturday issued fresh arrest warrants for Ajmal Kasab and Fahim Ansari. Judge Malik Muhammad Akram Awan, who is conducting the trial behind closed doors at the Adiala Jail in Rawalpindi for security reasons, heard arguments by the prosecution and the defence.
Ajmal Kasab and nine other terrorists, who attacked Mumbai in November last year, were in constant touch with top Lashkar-e-Tayiba commanders in Pakistan during the strikes and received instructions to kill 'political leaders, foreigners and prominent personalities of India'. This was stated in the six-page chargesheet filed against the seven suspects in custody in Pakistan, including 'mastermind' of the attacks Zakiur Rehman Lakhvi.
Police have provided round-the-clock security cover to criminal lawyer Amin Solkar who has been appointed by the Bombay high court to defend Pakistani terrorist Ajmal Kasab with regard to confirmation of death sentence awarded to him in the 26/11 terror attack case.
'I would not say I am 100 per cent sure. But I would also not rule out the possibility. This is an alternative theory which must be probed into,' says former Maharashtra Inspector General of Police S M Mushrif.
The investigation, currently being conducted by the National Investigating Agency, has highlighted the possibility that David Headley -- the American citizen arrested last month in Chicago by the Federal Bureau of Investigation on terror charges -- may have involved a couple of women in his plans.
Arrested terrorist Tahawwur Hussain Rana may have been the one who had arranged for the fake student identification cards carried by Ajmal Kasab and nine other terrorists, who were involved in the Mumbai attacks in 2008, said intelligence sources.
A division bench of justices Ranjana Desai and R V More also reserved the verdict on the appeal filed by Maharashtra government against the acquittal of LeT suspects Faheem Ansari and Sabauddin Ahmed in the 26/11 case.
The Federal Investigation Agency has decided to pursue a petition filed in the Lahore high court to challenge an anti-terrorism court's decision not to declare Kasab and Ansari as fugitives.
Maharashtra government has decided to continue with Ujjwal Nikam as the special public prosecutor in 26/11 terrorist Ajmal Kasab's case which would soon come up before the Bombay high court for confirmation of the Pakistani national's death sentence.
From scams and inflation to recession and a delay in reopening of colleges for the new academic year, find out what affected young Indians the most.