This article was first published 20 years ago

Indo-Bangla talks to focus on necessary issues

Share:

August 04, 2005 18:50 IST

India would take up with Bangladesh any matter that was necessary during the forthcoming three-day visit of External Affairs Minister K Natwar Singh to Dhaka from August 6, the Rajya Sabha was informed on Thursday.

"I will address at the highest quarter if any matter has to be attended to," Singh said while responding to supplementaries to a question relating to Indo-Bangladesh border fencing during Question Hour.

Earlier, in his reply, Minister of State for External Affairs Rao Inderjit Singh said out of the sanctioned length of fencing of 3,286.57 km, 1,961.31 km had been completed by June 30, 2005.

He said the issue of border fencing was discussed during the foreign office consultations held between the foreign secretaries of the two countries on June 21 and 22 this year and both the sides reaffirmed their commitment not to allow their territory to be used for any activities inimical to each other's interests.

The dates for the next meeting had not yet been decided, he added.

Share: