Inspired by Mumbai's famed Mohammed Ali road fare, Chef Shadab Ahmed's Minara Masjid Wali Gali Ke Shami Kebabs are soft, flavourful and cooked to perfection.
These melt-in-your-mouth kebabs are best served with mint chutney and sliced onions.
Minara Masjid Wali Gali Ke Shami Kebab
- 200 gm mutton kheema
- 50 gm chana dal or Bengal gram
- 6 small dalcheeni cinnamon sticks
- 5 long or cloves
- 10 red chillies, adjust as per taste
- 1 tbsp red chilly powder
- 5 green chillies, finely chopped (adjust as per taste)
- 5 green elaichi or cardamom
- 10 black peppercorns
- 3 tej patta or bay leaves
- 15 gm ginger-garlic paste
- 5 gm ginger, chopped
- 1 tbsp jeera or cumin powder
- 1 tbsp dhania or coriander powder
- 1 tbsp haldi or turmeric powder
- Small bunch freshly chopped green dhania or coriander or cilantro
- 1 egg
- Salt to taste
- 3-4 tbsp oil
- Oil for frying
- Mint chutney
- Sliced onions
- Soak the lentils in hot water for a couple of hours.
- Heat the oil in a heavy-bottomed frying pan or kadhai.
Add the whole spices, ginger-garlic paste and saute well.
Add the meat and cook with the spices for 10-15 minutes.
Add the salt, turmeric, red chilly powder, coriander powder, cumin powder.
Add some water and cook until the meat is half done.
Add the soaked lentils and cook the mixture until the meat is completely done.
Take off heat, cool and remove the whole spices.
Grind the mixture in a mixer to a smooth paste.
Add the raw egg to the mix.
Add the chopped ginger, green chillies, coriander.
Make small balls of the mixture and flatten them slightly like a patty.
- Pan fry the kebabs in a little oil.
Flip after a few minutes so that it cooks on both sides.
Take off heat and serve hot with mint chutney and sliced onions.
Note: Pair these kebabs with Preeti Alam's Veg Seek Kebabs for vegetarians and vegans.
Shadab Ahmed is the chef de cuisine at the Jyran Tandoor Dining & Lounge, Sofitel Mumbai BKC.
You can taste the Minara Masjid Wali Gali Ke Shami Kebab at Sofitel Mumbai's ongoing Mohammed Ali Road Food Festival.