Treat yourself to a quick, simple meal of lemon rice, which can be had by itself or with a side of rasam, pickle and papad.
Chef Varun Inamdar's recipe for Chitranna is mildly spiced, nourishing and can be eaten over a few days.
- 3 cups cooked rice
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 tsp or more rai or mustard seeds
- ½ cup walnuts, chopped roughly
- 2 whole dry Kashmiri red chillies
- 1 sprig curry leaves
- 4-5 tsp haldi or turmeric powder
- ¼ tsp or more hing or asafoetida powder
- 2 tbsp or more lemon juice
- Salt to taste
- Lemon, cut into half, to serve
- Heat the coconut oil in a heavy-bottomed kadhai or pan.
Add the mustard seeds, walnuts and saute on medium heat for 2 minutes till the mustard seeds pop.
Add the dry red chillies and curry leaves.
Add the turmeric powder, asafoetida powder, salt, lemon juice and the cooked rice.
Toss over high heat.
Take off heat, transfer into a bowl and serve hot with a cut lemon.
Varun Inamdar is a chef, food stylist and chocolatier.