Bethica Das from Sharjah shares a festive treat for the health conscious foodie.
- 3 medium carrots, grated
- 1 cup of evaporated milk
- 4 milk pedas, crumbled
- 2 tbsp ghee (clarified butter)
- ¼ tsp cardamom powder
- Sugar to taste (use brown sugar for a healthier option)
- A pinch of saffron
- 1 tbsp chopped pistachios
- Few dry rose petals
- 1 tbsp rose water (optional)
- Heat ghee in a cooker and saute the carrots for 1-2 minutes on low flame. Add milk and pressure cook for 2-3 whistles.
- When cool, transfer it to a non-stick pan and keep stirring on low flame till the moisture is reduced.
- Add the crumbled pedas, cardamom powder and sugar to taste. Continue to stir till it slightly thickens.
- Add rose water and saffron. Garnish with chopped pistachios and dry rose petals. Serve chilled or at room temperature.
So, Dear Readers what are you cooking this Diwali?
Do you have a traditional recipe, which has been handed down by your mother or mother-in-law?
Would you be indulging in sweets made in ghee or opt for the healthy, fat-free varieties?
If you are cooking something creative, please share your recipes and we'll publish the best ones on Rediff.com.
Please mail your recipe(s)/video(s) to firstname.lastname@example.org (Subject: Diwali Recipe) along with your name, location and, of course, the recipe(s).
Kindly don't forget to attach a photograph(s)/video(s) of the dish as well.