Escape the heat with two rejuvenating recipes by food blogger Vindhya Karwa.
- 1 cup dalia or broken wheat
- 2 to 3 medium-sized ripe mangoes, chopped into big pieces
- 1 tbsp chopped spring onion
- Few leaves of mint
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil and a little extra for garnish
- Salt and pepper to taste
For blanching the dalia
- Place dalia in a large bowl.
Boil 2 cups water and pour it over the dalia.
Let it blanch in the hot water for 4-5 minutes.
Drain the water and keep aside.
For making the tabbouleh
- In another large bowl mix the blanched dalia with the maple syrup.
Add the chopped mangoes, spring onion, mint leaves and olive oil.
Add salt, pepper, lemon juice and give it a toss.
Garnish with some more olive oil and serve chilled.
NOTE: Those who are gluten intolerant can use quinoa or millets instead of broken wheat.
Indian-Style Mexican Burrito with mango
- 1 cup refried beans, available in cans in gourmet grocery stores and online or substitute with baked beans, washed
- 1 cup cooked brown rice
- 10 lettuce leaves
- 1 cup sautéed thin strips baby corn
- A handful of red cabbage leaves, grilled
- 1 red and 1 yellow capsicums or bell peppers, sliced and grilled
- 1 ripe avocado, sliced and limed
- 2 ripe mangoes, sliced
- ½ cup parsley, grilled in olive oil with salt and pepper
- 10 garlic pods, sliced and sauteed
- 15-20 slices jalapenos
- 6-7 black olives, sliced
- 5 tsp and 5 tbsp sour cream for dressing and serving
- 1 cup salsa for dressing and serving (made from chopped raw tomatoes, chopped jalapenos, chopped red onion, chopped fresh dhania/cilantro and lime juice)
- Salt to taste
- A dash of pepper powder
- 5 tortillas, easily available in grocery stores or online
- 2 limes, cut into halves
- Place the readymade tortilla on a plate.
Place 2 of the lettuce leaves on top of it.
Spread 1 tbsp of the refried beans, followed by 1 tbsp of the brown rice.
Add a few strips of the baby corn, few slices of the bell peppers, 1 or 2 red cabbage leaves and some of the grilled parsley.
Add a slice of the limed avocado and a few mango slices.
Top it with a little of the sauteed garlic, jalapenos and olives.
Add the 1 tsp of sour cream, 1 tsp of tomato salsa, a squeeze of lime, some salt and pepper to taste.
Fold up the tortilla. Fill all the other tortillas in the same way.
- Serve with a vegetable salad, more tomato salsa and a tbsp sour cream for each burrito.
Vindhya Karwa posts vegan and vegetarian recipes under the Instagram handle @vinsplate.&