Mini Ribeiro shares some easy recipes for people who don't cook.
Som Tam Thai
Recipe by Chef Tam, The Oberoi, Bengaluru
- 150 gm raw papaya (grated)
- 4 cherry tomatoes
- 10 gm carrot julienned
- 2 tbsp tamarind pulp
- 5 gm birds eye chili (Thai Chilli) chopped
- Light soy sauce to taste
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 5 gm palm sugar
- 10 gm roasted peanuts
- 10 gm haricot beans
- 5 gm garlic chopped
- Peel papaya and wash it with cold water and place in a basket to allow the water to drain. This process makes the papaya crispy.
- Take blanched haricot beans, garlic and birds eye chilly and keep aside in a bowl.
- To prepare the dressing, combine the tamarind pulp, light soya, palm sugar, lemon juice, garlic and chillies in a bowl.
- Stir until the palm sugar gets dissolved.
- Add grated papaya and mix it slowly allowing the dressing to coat it gradually.
- Add carrots, roasted peanuts cherry tomato.
- Check for seasoning, place the salad on the plate.
- Add more roasted peanuts on top.
- Serve chilled.
Mango & Prunes Salad
Recipe by chef Mukul Jha, executive chef, Four Points by Sheraton, Navi Mumbai, Vashi
- 1/3 cup mint leaves
- 10 gm prunes
- 2 tsp balsamic vinegar
- 2 tsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 3 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 ripe mango, peeled and cut into cubes
- 1 large tomato, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 small red onion, halved lengthwise and thinly sliced crosswise
- 1/3 cup fresh cilantro leaves
- Beat vinegar, lemon juice, sugar, salt, and pepper together, until sugar is dissolved.
- Add oil and remaining ingredients.
- Toss them well until coated.
Grilled Chicken with Corn, Olives and Cherry Tomato Salsa
Recipe by chef Sandip Patil, Chef de cuisine-The Café, Hyatt Regency Pune
- 120 gm chicken breast boneless
- 30 gm American corn
- 10 gm olive black
- 30 gm cherry tomato
- 30 gm fresh thyme
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Salt to taste
- Pepper to taste
For grilled chicken
- Marinate the chicken with salt, pepper, thyme and olive oil. Keep aside for 10 minutes.
- Put marinated chicken on the grill and cook for 10 minutes on each side until it is well cooked from inside
- Blend olive, cherry tomato and corn coarsely in a mixer.
- Add salt, pepper, thyme, olive oil and lemon juice.
- Mix well.
- Arrange the chicken on a platter, drizzle with salsa.
- You may garnish with a sprig of thyme before serving.
Dry Fruit Roulade
Recipe by Manav Koul, Executive Chef, Sofitel Mumbai, BKC
- 300 gm cashew nuts
- 300 gm almonds
- 150 gm pistachios
- 250 gm figs
- Ghee as required
- Soak the cashew nuts in water until they become soft.
- Make a dough out of the soaked cashew nuts and set aside.
- Chop all dry fruits and nuts into small pieces.
- Heat some ghee in a skillet and sauté all chopped ingredients and let it cool.
- Flatten the dough into a thin layer and place the dry fruits mixture on it.
- Roll the dough and shape it into a roulade.
- Plate it with rose petals and garnish with almonds.
Recipe by Pastry Sous Chef Ankit Saini, Le Meridien Gurgaon
For Mascarpone cream
- 100gm mascarpone cream
- 100gms double cream whipped
- 40gm sugar
- 1 vanila pod (optional)
For sweet dough
- 100 gm butter
- 100 gm icing sugar
- 200 gm flour
- 2 tbsp milk
- 25 fresh strawberries
- Raspberry sauce for plating
- 100 gm raspberry puree
- 1 tbsp breakfast sugar
- Whip together mascarpone cream and double cream with added breakfast sugar and vanilla pod till fluffy. Keep aside.
- Boil raspberry puree with sugar and cool it.
- Mix butter, icing sugar, flour and milk all together in a bowl.
- Beat it for 30 to 40 seconds at medium high speed.
- Roll the sweet dough and cut it into heart shape and bake at 180 degree C.
- On a plate, place the heart shaped baked sweet dough biscuit, put a tbsp of mascarpone cheese mixture, surround it with diced strawberry and cover it again with another heart shaped biscuit.
- Drizzle raspberry puree on plate and serve.
You can send us your favourite recipes too.
We'll publish the best preparations right here on Rediff.com and in India Abroad.