End your Republic Day celebration with these treats.
Recipe by Shibendu Ray Chaudhury, Executive Sous Chef, Renaissance Mumbai.
- 2 cups all purpose flour (maida)
- 1½ tbsp fine grained semolina or rice flour
- 1 cup pista powdered for green color
- 1 gm saffron for orange colour
- ¼ tsp baking powder
- 2 tbsp curd or plain yogurt
- 1¼ cup warm water
- ½ tsp saffron threads, slowly dry-roasted and powdered
- 3 cup sugar
- 2 2/3 cup water
- ½ tsp green cardamom seeds powder
- 1½ tbsp kewra water or rose water
- Ghee or vegetable oil for frying
- Mix the flour, semolina or rice flour, baking powder, curd and ¾ cup of water in a bowl (preferably a ceramic bowl). Mix well with a whisk.
- Divide the batter into three parts. In one part, add pistachio. In the second part, add saffron and let the third part be plain for the tricolour effect.
- Mix well and then add the remaining water and whisk until smooth. Set aside for about two hours to ferment. Whisk thoroughly before use.
- Prepare string syrup by dissolving sugar in the water. Just before the syrup is ready, add saffron and cardamom powder.
- Heat oil in a kadhai. Use cloth piping bag to make roundels of jalebi. Deep fry them until they are golden and crisp all over but not brown.
- Remove from the kadhai and drain on kitchen paper and immerse in the syrup. Leave for at least 4-5 minutes so that they soak the syrup. Take them out of syrup and serve hot.
Recipe by Vibhav Verma, Executive Chef, Grand Mercure Bangalore.
- 8 slices of white bread
- 8-10 spinach leaves
- 3 green chillies
- Grated coconut
- 3-4 dry red chillies
- 50 gm cottage cheese, shredded
- 3 tbsp mayonnaise
- Blanch the spinach for 2 mins. When it cools off, puree it with green chillies and ½ tsp salt.
- Make a fine paste of coconut with dry red chillies and ½ tsp salt with 2 spoons of water. This would make saffron layer of the sandwich.
- Cut the edges of bread slices. Apply melted butter on one side of all the slices. Apply the green paste generously on a slice and make that slice as a bottom layer. Place one slice over it and apply mayonnaise on other side of that slice. Sprinkle the paneer over to make a smooth layer. Place third slice over it and apply the saffron paste uniformly over it. Place fourth slice over it as a top layer. Your tricolour sandwich is ready to be served.