Treat yourself to these simple, healthy recipes for a quick brunch session.
Recipes and photographs: Courtesy California Walnuts
Toasted Walnut Hummus
- 1/2 cup walnuts
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, quartered
- 350 gm chickpeas or garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 tsp orange zest
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- Toast walnuts in 170°C oven for 8 minutes or until golden brown. Cool to room temperature.
- Combine toasted walnuts with oil and garlic and puree in food processor or blender until smooth.
- Add chickpeas, orange zest, orange juice, salt and pepper and continue to blend to an even, smooth consistency. Adjust seasoning if necessary.
- Serve hummus in a small serving bowl alongside toasted pita bread or with a variety of colourful raw vegetables.
Walnut and Roasted Carrot Hummus
For the hummus
- 200 gm carrots, cut into sticks
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 400 gm tin chickpeas, drained
- 2 tbsp tahini
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 80 gm walnuts, toasted
- Salt and pepper to taste
- A handful of green olives, roughly chopped
- 2 slices of preserved lemons, thinly sliced
- Small bunch coriander, roughly chopped or torn
- Additional extra virgin olive oil (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- Place the carrots onto a small roasting tray and sprinkle over the cumin and olive oil. Roast in the oven for 25 to 30 minutes, or until tinged golden.
- Place the roasted carrots, chickpeas, tahini, lemon juice and 50 gm walnuts into a food processor and blitz until smooth, adding in a splash of water if you need to loosen the mixture a little.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Spoon the hummus into your chosen container, then top with the olives, preserved lemon slices, coriander and leftover walnuts.
Drizzle over some extra olive oil and serve.