Chef Prakash Chettiyar, executive chef, JW Marriott Kolkata tells you how to cook lamb shanks restaurant style.
Slow Braised Lamb Shanks
- 1 red onion, diced
- 2 celery stalks, diced
- 2 carrots, peeled and diced
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 cups thick lamb stock
- 1 cup peeled, seeded and chopped tomatoes
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tsp chopped fresh thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 4 lamb shanks, external fat trimmed
- Salt to taste
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup red wine
- Heat a cooker on slow flame.
- Add onion, celery, carrots, garlic, stock, tomatoes, tomato paste, thyme and bay leaf. Stir well to combine.
- Season the lamb shanks with salt and pepper.
- Heat a large pan. Add olive oil and wait till it emits smoke.
- Add the shanks and let it turn brown on all sides. This should take about 5 minutes.
- Transfer it to the cooker.
- Turn off heat and pour in wine, tomato puree in the pan.
- Turn on heat and cook on medium-high heat.
- Bring to a simmer, stirring to scrape up any browned bits from the pan's bottom.
- Add wine to cooker.
- Cover and cook on high heat for six hours or till lamb becomes tender.
- Transfer the lamb shanks to a large serving dish.
- Remove bay leaf from the cooking liquid.
- Using a blender, puree the liquids and solids until smooth.
- Pour some of the sauce over the shanks.
- Serve with saffron risotto and freshly crushed black pepper.
Do you have an interesting recipe you want to share?