Traditionally made from peanuts, chikki also comes in different variants now. Here's the recipe:
The humble Indian sweet made from melted jaggery and nuts is both crunchy and irresistible.
Take note of the ingredients and try it at home.
- 1 cup peanuts, cashews or almonds (roasted and skinned)
- 3/4 cup sugar or jaggery
- 1/4 tsp cardamom powder
- Melt the jaggery in a non-stick pan till it turns honey brown in colour.
- Crush the peanuts and add it to the melted sugar with a pinch of cardamom powder.
- Put this mixture immediately into a greased plate or tray.
- Spread it to the desired thickness evenly using a rolling pin.
- Immediately cut it with a greased knife.
- After it cools, separate the pieces and store in air tight containers.
Photograph: Divya Kudua/Wikimedia Commons
ALSO SEE: Recipe: How to make Zarda
Liked this recipe? Click here for more recipes and food features!
Do you have an interesting festive recipe to share?
Write in to us at firstname.lastname@example.org (subject line: 'Festive recipes') with your name, hometown and any interesting details about the origin of the recipe, along with a photograph if possible. We'll publish the best preparations right here on Rediff.com.