Food blogger Priya Shiva tells us how to make a popular South Indian sweet using seven cups of ingredients.
You can share your favourite recipes too!
Here's the recipe for 7 Cup Barfi
- 1 cup bengal gram flour/ besan/chickpeas flour
- 1 1/2 cup (melted) ghee/clarified butter
- 1 cup grated carrot
- 1 cup milk
- 2 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 green cardamom
- Grease a square plate with ghee and keep it aside.
- Remove the seeds of green cardamom from the pods and powder it.
- Saute carrot for few minutes in a pan till you get rid of the raw smell.
- Add all ingredients in a heavy bottom pan and mix it well. Make sure there are no lumps.
- Place the pan on the gas stove on low flame and stir continuously for few minutes on low heat.
- You'll see the mixture bubbling and ghee leaving the sides of the pan.
- Add cardamom powder and keep stirring.
- When it takes the form of a dough, transfer the content into the ghee-greased plate and allow it to cool for a few minutes.
- When it is still warm cut into square pieces.
- When it cools down store in an air-tight container.
Photo: Priya Shiva
- Recipe: Brown Rice and Sprouts Pulao
- Recipe: How to make Kala Chana Achari Pulao
- Recipe: How to make Gujarat's Surti Undhiyu
- Recipe: How to make Hassleback Potatoes
- How to make Boatman-style Chicken Curry
- How to make Chicken Stew
Want to share your favourite recipe? Simply e-mail your recipes to email@example.com (subject line: My Fav Recipe) with your name, hometown and any interesting details about the origin of the recipe, along with a photograph of the recipe, if possible. We'll publish the best preparations right here on Rediff.com and India Abroad.