Surprise your loved ones with these simple and healthy meals.
Over the past few years, the number of people you know who have turned vegan may have surprised you.
From athletes to actors, a number of celebrities are raving about the benefits of a home-made vegan diet.
Here are some quick recipes you can try at home.
Recipes and photographs: Kind courtesy Chef Savio
Aloo Matar Flaxseed Shortcrust Cigar
- 15 gm potato
- 15 gm green peas
- 5 gm coriander leaves
- 5 gm onion
- 5 gm green chillies
- 3 gm flaxseed
- 3 gm cumin powder
- 3 gm coriander powder
- 3 gm red chilli powder
- 3 gm turmeric
- 3 gm cumin seed
- 10 gm refined flour
- 10 ml vegetable shortening or refined oil
- 10 gm tamarind
- 10 gm mixed micro greens
For cigar stuffing
- Boil the potato. Chop onion, garlic, ginger and green chillies.
- Heat oil in a frying pan.
- Saute all chopped veggies and add boiled potato and green peas. Mix well and add ground spices.
For shortcrust dough
- Make a dough with refined flour, salt and refined oil.
- Knead it well and keep aside for 15 minutes. Cover it with a muslin cloth.
- Make a sheet of dough.
- Put the potato mixture in it and roll it to make small size cigars
- Fry till it is golden brown.
- Place the cigars on a plate, drizzle tamarind chutney over them and serve with mixed microgreens.
Tofu and Saag with Roasted Kale
- 100 gm spinach
- 50 gm spring onion
- 30 gm sorrel leaves
- 50 gm fenugreek leaves
- 30 gm onion
- 10 gm garlic
- 5 gm green chillies
- 30 gm coconut milk
- 2 gm salt
- 2 gm pepper
- 50 gm kale lettuce
- 30 gm refined oil
- Chop all leafy vegetables and set aside.
- Heat oil and add cumin seeds, garlic and onion. Sauté well.
- Add spinach, spring onion and stir fry.
- Add sorrel and fenugreek leaves and continue cooking
- Cook all vegetables till water evaporates.
- Add coconut milk and stir.
- Adjust seasoning.
For roasted kale and tofu
- Wash kale and remove excess water.
- Preheat oven on 100 degree. And leave kale to dry up
- Once roasted nicely, leave aside.
- Cut tofu into cubes, marinate it with some oil, a pinch of salt and pepper and roast with kale.
- Place cooked leafy vegetables in a pan.
- Place roasted tofu and kale on the saag.
- Serve hot.
Rajma masala stuffed multigrain dosa
- 100 gm red kidney beans
- 100 gm parboiled rice
- 50 gm multigrain flour
- 150 gm tomato
- 50 gm onion
- 50 gm refined oil
- 30 gm ginger
- 20 gm garlic
- 5 gm red chili powder
- 2 gm cumin powder
- 2 gm garam masala
- 2 gm coriander powder
- 2 gm salt
For multigrain and rice dosa
- Soak parboiled rice overnight.
- Drain and grind to fine paste.
- Mix multigrain flour with paste.
- Add water, salt and adjust consistency.
- Preheat the griddle, add oil, and add spoonful of batter spreading round evenly.
- Once cooked, take it out. It resembles a round soft thin pancake.
For Rajma Masala
- Soak red kidney beans overnight and boil. You can also use canned beans.
- Heat oil in a stock pot. Add chopped garlic, sauté well till golden
- Add chopped onion and sauté further.
- Add chopped tomatoes and cook till they are mashed.
- Grind 1/3rd quantity of rajma and put the remaining into the casserole and continue cooking.
- Season with powdered Indian spices and serve.
To make roasted tomato onion chutney
- Cut tomatoes lengthwise in half
- Dice onions
- Place above ingredients on baking sheet with garlic pods and some oil
- Roast in oven for 20 minutes
- Cool down and grind to a course paste
- Season with salt and lemon juice.
- Pocket fold pancake and stuff it with red kidney casserole stuffing.
- Serve with roasted onion tomato chutney.