Rediff.com  » Cricket » South Africa confirm two COVID-19 cases in national squad

South Africa confirm two COVID-19 cases in national squad

Last updated on: August 20, 2020 15:06 IST
Get Rediff News in your Inbox:

A number of their leading players are contracted to play in the Indian Premier League, which is due to start next month.

Image used for representational purposes

IMAGE: South Africa have this year missed a mix of Test and limited overs series against India, Sri Lanka and West Indies due to the COVID-19 pandemic. (Image used for representational purposes). Photograph: Alex Livesey/Getty Images

Cricket South Africa on Thursday reported two positive COVID-19 tests among national team players who were due to participate in a squad camp taking place this week.

CSA tested 50 players and officials prior to the camp, which began on Tuesday and runs to Saturday, and confirmed two positive cases among the group, without naming those infected.

 

The camp is focused on team bonding and was arranged after CSA came under heavy criticism from some former players who claimed there was a culture of racism within the side.

"There were no replacements made for the two players who tested positive. All those unable to attend the camp will join the proceedings virtually," CSA said in a statement on Thursday.

Another absentee is former captain Faf du Plessis, due to the imminent birth of his second child.

Former captain Graeme Smith, now CSA Director of Cricket, has denied the accusations of racism and says he was unaware of any such incidents during his 11 years in charge of the side.

South Africa have this year missed a mix of Test and limited overs series against India, Sri Lanka and West Indies due to the COVID-19 pandemic.

A number of their leading players are contracted to play in the Indian Premier League, which is due to start next month.

Bangladesh U-19 cricketer tests positive for COVID-19

Dhaka: A Bangladeshi under-19 cricketer, Iftekhar Hossain, has tested positive for COVID-19 and will be in isolation for a week, according to a report.

A report in ESPNcricinfo stated that Hossain returned positive during the second batch of tests at the Sher-e-Bangla National Stadium's academy building on Monday.

He was among 15 cricketers tested by the Bangladesh Cricket Board (BCB) ahead of their month-long camp which starts on Sunday.

"We have had one positive case, and his name is Iftekhar Hossain. He will now be in isolation under the BCB's medical protocol. He is healthy but he is being closely monitored," BCB's game development manager MA Kaysar said.

"We will provide him with everything during his isolation and the next course of action will be decided by the BCB's medical team.

"The first batch of 15 players arrived at the academy on August 15, were tested the following day, and when all were found negative, were sent to BKSP, the sports institute situated 36km from Mirpur. The same plan was followed for the second batch, except Hossain."

Former Bangladesh captain Mashrafe Mortaza had earlier tested positive for the deadly virus before recovering completely.

 

Get Rediff News in your Inbox:
SHARE THIS STORYCOMMENT

IPL 2020

IPL 2020