Colonel Anil Athale (retd) recalls how the Battle of Panipat, 258 years ago, changed the history of India for the next century and half.
'A prime minister's responsibility is the entire nation.' 'The nation looks to you for protection, for security...' 'Politics has become larger than the nation's interests.'
Kavita Karkare, widow of former Maharashtra Anti-Terror Squad chief Hemant Karkare who died fighting terrorists during the 26/11 attacks in Mumbai, has been admitted to a hospital after she suffered brain haemorrhage and slipped into coma, police sources said.
In a breather for the Maharashtra ATS, arrested Yasin Bhatkal has confirmed to his interrogators that Gujaratis travelling in first class compartments of Mumbai locals were the target of 2006 train bombings as the IM wanted to avenge the 2002 Gujarat riots. Vicky Nanjappa reports.
Mumbai will clash with Group C toppers Maharashtra at the Wankhede stadium, in Mumbai, while Bengal, who beat formidable Tamil Nadu in their last group match, will meet Railways at the Eden Gardens, in Kolkata, in the Ranji Trophy quarter-finals from January 8 to 12.
Mahendra Singh Dhoni, who is the unofficial mentor to the Jharkhand cricket team, is set to watch his state side take on Gujarat in its first ever Ranji Trophy semi-final, starting in Nagpur on Sunday.
The Mumbai ATS is interrogating a junior commissioned officer and two jawans of the Indian Army in connection with the Malegaon blast case, defence sources have said.
Uttar Pradesh, last year, recorded the most 2,60,028 deaths attributable to air pollution, followed by Maharashtra at 1,08,038 and Bihar 96,967, it said.
The serial blasts of March 1993 were originally planned to take place in April that year and it was to be a countrywide bomb attack but the date was advance on instructions of absconding accused Tiger Memon who suspected the police had got a whiff of the terror plot, an officer involved in solving the case said.
UP's mills, dominated by the private sector's 94 units, have already expressed their inability to participate in the next crushing season
The Maharashtra ATS's supplementary chargesheet against arrested LeT operative Abu Jundal brings out some of his chilling confessions over the dastardly 26/11 terror attacks, reports Vicky Nanjappa.
Four persons, including a Unani doctor, were detained by the National Investigation Agency in Beed district of Maharashtra for interrogation, police said on Friday.
Looking for travel inspiration as you plan your summer vacation? Here's help.
Himachal Pradesh's lower-order batted resolutely and helped the side put on 338 in their first innings against hosts Goa on the second day of the Group C Ranji Trophy match at the PCA ground in Porvorim on Sunday.
Terror suspect and 26/11 handler Abu Jundal's police custody was extended till October 3 by a court in Nashik on Monday.
The National Investigation Agency on Tuesday said there was no proof against Lt Col Prasad Purohit in the Samjhauta blast case.
The Anti-Terrorism Squad of the Maharashtra police on Saturday filed a supplementary chargesheet against alleged Lashkar-e-Tayiba operative and 26/11 Mumbai attack handler Sayed Zabiuddin Ansari, alias Abu Jundal, in connection with the 2006 Aurangabad arms haul case. "We have filed a 3,650-page chargesheet against Jundal, and named him as an key accused," said an ATS official.
We sorted through countless photographs taken around the world to come up with the top photos of 2019. Together these images tell the story of the year -- capturing moments of hope and heartbreak, triumph and tragedy.
Escorting of Mumbai terror attack convict Mohammed Ajmal Kasab to the city by air was mulled but later it had been shelved as road transport was considered as the safest mode to shift him to the Central jail in Pune, a senior police official said.
Maharashtra Home Minister R R Patil on Thursday said investigating agencies were probing all angles to determine whether any terror outfit was behind the low intensity serial bomb blasts that rocked Pune on Wednesday night.
The National Investigation Agency has let off two of the four persons who were detained in Beed in the last two days, sources said.
Naquee Ahmed, one of the 13/7 blasts accused, was in contact with Indian Mujahideen's elusive chief operative Yasin Bhatkal through a popular social networking site since 2008, the Maharashtra Anti-Terrorism Squad claimed on Sunday.Naquee, who hails from Darbhanga district of Bihar, was initially arrested on January 10 this year on charges of forgery for allegedly procuring mobile phone SIM cards using fake documents.
Dinesh Karthik scored a solid 113 as Tamil Nadu took command of their Ranji Trophy semi-final against Maharashtra at the Eden Gardens, in Kolkata, on on Thursday. On a deceptive green top that had little in it for the bowlers, he made hay even as half-centuries from Vijay Shankar (91), Ramaswamy Prasanna (64 not out) and Baba Indrajith (68 not out) down the order ensured Tamil Nadu amassed 426 for 5 in 177 overs at the close of play on Day 2.
The accused, Mohammed Hanif, was brought to the city and produced before a court which sent him to police custody till August 20, a senior police official said.
Refusing to order judicial probe into the alleged fake encounter of one Mohammad Ali in 2006 by the state Anti Terrorism Squad, the Bombay high court on Tuesday asked the petitioner to approach police with his complaint.
The Maharashtra Anti-Terrorism Squad has arrested a close associate of Indian Mujahideen's elusive chief operative Yasin Bhatkal in connection with the 13/7 serial bomb blasts case, taking the total number of arrests to five.
The explosive powder, collected from an apartment in Mumbai of an alleged Indian Mujahideen operative, who carried out the July 13 triple blasts, was RDX though it was not used to trigger explosions on the fateful day, a senior ATS official said on Wednesday.
The seventh anniversary of the 26/11 Mumbai terror attacks, which had claimed lives of 166 people and left hundreds injured, would be observed on Thursday.
There may be a lot of confusion over the arrest of Naqqi Ahmed Washi Ahmed Shaikh in connection with the 13/7 Mumbai blasts, and it would be a while before this issue has some clarity. However, the biggest setback in all this is for the Intelligence Bureau, because this man was an informer for them. Vicky Nanjappa reports.
Hours after the Maharashtra Anti-Terrorism Squad claimed a breakthrough in the 13/7 Mumbai blasts case, the Ministry of Home Affairs has claimed that it was not informed about the arrests of two operatives from Bihar -- Naqqi Ahmed Washi Ahmed Shaikh and Nadeem Akhtar Asfaq Sheikh.
Goa's Ranji team interim captain Swapnil Asnodkar could find himself in deep trouble following deposition by a fellow-player before the Goa Cricket Association, claiming that he had hinted at calling off the match against Maharashtra, at Porvorim, near Panaji, during the fourth over itself.
The National Investigation Agency, which has been struggling to collect evidence in the 2006 Malegaon blast case, is likely to quiz some of the Maharashtra ATS officials who had probed the case.
The Union home ministry on Tuesday acknowledged there was a lack of coordination between the Delhi police and the Maharashtra Anti-Terrorism Squad in the probe into the July 13, 2011 serial blasts in Mumbai but downplayed the rift between them.
Maharashtra Anti-Terrorism Squad ruled out the involvement of a suicide bomber in Wednesday's three blasts in the city and said a probable suspect's sketch would be prepared by Saturday night.
Senior IPS officer Rakesh Maria, who was heading the Maharashtra ATS, on Sunday took charge as Mumbai Police Commissioner and stressed on adopting zero tolerance towards street crimes while describing urban terrorism and organised crime as challenges before the force.
The Jharkhand team has qualified for the knockout stages of the Ranji Trophy but till date Dhoni has not given any indication that he would like to play.
Confessions by Indian Mujahideen operative Yasin Bhatkal negate the Maharashtra ATS theory that convict Mirza Himayat Baig played a role in the Pune attack. Vicky Nanjappa reports
Two alleged Indian Mujahideen operatives, who provided vehicles used in 2008 serial blasts in Gujarat that killed 56 and wounded over 200, have been arrested by Maharashtra Anti-Terrorism Squad.
The National Investigation Agency on Thursday told a Mumbai court it has found no evidence to link nine Muslims arrested in the 2006 Malegaon blasts case to the terror attack, a move that could see them walk free.