Chota Shakeel, a close associate of Dawood Ibrahim, has been given the responsibility of killing Mohammad Ajmal Amir Kasab, the lone terrorist arrested during the terror attack on Mumbai, according to Intelligence Bureau sources. IB sources have revealed that the Lashkar-e-Tayiba has asked Shakeel, a close associate of underworld don Dawood Ibrahim, to kill Kasab. Shakeel is currently hiding in Pakistan, said IB officials, under the patronage of the ISI & LeT.
'The intelligence agencies have taken the three men into custody from different parts of Karachi because of their alleged affiliation with Kasab,' the Daily Times newspaper quoted a source as saying. The men were 'reportedly taken to Islamabad and an investigation was in progress', the newspaper reported. There was no official word on the development.
" Kasab has told us quite categorically where he comes from, where he received military and arms training and where his handlers are located. Unfortunately, despite this, we have seen a consistent flip-flop in the reaction of the government in Islamabad," External Affairs Minister Pranab Mukherjee told a gathering at the Pravasi Bharatiya Divas in Chennai.
Suspecting that a video clip of Pakistani terrorist Ajmal Amir Kasab's court hearing has been leaked to the media, government has advised television channels not to broadcast it.
Ajmal Amir Kasab, the lone Pakistani terrorist captured during the terror attack on Mumbai in November last year, can be tried in India as he had committed a crime in that country, Pakistan's Defence Minister Chaudhry Ahmed Mukhtar said on Saturday.The accused, who had been detained in Pakistan in connection with the Mumbai attacks, will be brought to trial in a Pakistani court, said Mukhtar. India could conduct Kasab's trial according to its own laws, Mukhtar said.
India on Wednesday adopted a wait-and-watch approach on reports from Pakistan that cases have been filed against Ajmal Amir Kasab, the lone surviving terrorist of the Mumbai attacks, and 13 others, saying it will comment only after receiving an official communication.
Mohammad Ajmal Kasab, the captured terrorist in the 26/11 attacks, has revealed that he and the nine other terrorists were confined to a house in Karachi for 45 days, where Lashkar-e-Tayiba operative Abu Hamza taught them how to navigate a boat.
Ajmal Kasab, the face of the dastardly 26/11 terror strike on Mumbai who was hanged on November 21, had begged for 'daya' (mercy) from the President through his four-line clemency plea written in elementary Urdu, which was rejected.
"The purpose of allowing the DCPs to interact with Kasab is to understand the psyche of a terrorist. This will help the DCPs to take precautionary and remedial measures to prevent any such crimes in future," Rakesh Maria, Joint Commissioner of Police (Crime) said on Friday.
The Intelligence Bureau is probing a case involving a prayer meeting for Ajmal Kasab conducted by an imam at a mosque in Kerala, reports Vicky Nanjappa
Waghmare had on Tuesday told a special court that she needed a day to consider whether she would appear in the case, following protests at her residence on Monday night.
Pakistan, which is yet to admit that Ajmal Amir Kasab is its national, said it will respond by Wednesday to a letter written by the lone terrorist captured during the Mumbai attacks in which he has sought legal assistance from it.
Rajan Varma will play Ajmal Kasab, the lone terrorist who was caught by the Mumbai police, and is presently in custody.
India's Constitution and criminal laws have a provision where an accused -- even in a trial court -- could seek the option of defending himself. In terrorism-related cases, this option was last taken by Parliament attacker Afzal Guru.
Mohammed Ajmal Amir Kasab, the lone terrorist arrested for his involvement in the Mumbai terror strikes, was on Monday remanded to police custody till February 13 for murdering the captain of a Gujarat-based fishing vessel. Kasab, whose police custody in the Chhatrapati Shivaji Terminus firing case ended today, has been booked in 12 cases by the city police and is in judicial custody in five other cases. When asked by the magistrate, Kasab said he had no complaints.
The second dossier is also likely to name Lashkar-e-Tayiba leaders Zakiur Rehman Lakhvi and Zarar Shah as conspirators of the Mumbai carnage and furnish details as to how they planned the attacks and trained the attackers. The DNA sample of Kasab, which has already been collected by the investigators as part of efforts to prove that he is a Pakistani national, is likely to be given soon, sources said.
As lawyers distance themselves from defending Ajmal Amir Iman Kasab in court, External Affairs Minister Pranab Mukherjee on Tuesday said that the terrorist caught during the Mumbai attacks will get a fair trial."Of course, in India everybody will get a fair trial," Mukherjee told PTI when asked whether Kasab should be given a fair trial."Every person in India who is accused or prosecuted is entitled to have a fair trial," he said.
Ajmal Kasab, the lone terrorist arrested during the terror attack on Mumbai in November 2008, on Friday told a special court hearing the 26/11 terror case that he was not aware of the attacks at Hotel Taj, Hotel Oberoi, Nariman House and Leopold Cafe in Mumbai. "I also do not know the people who had fired and exploded bombs at these places on November 26, 2008," Kasab said in reply to questions put to him by Judge M L Tahiliyani.
"He was a hero and will inspire other fighters to follow his path," Reuters quoted a commander of the LeT, which is accused of masterminding the attack, as saying.
In a daredevil act, Assistant Police Sub Inspector Tukaram Omble, caught Ajmal Kasab alive. On the day the 26/11 gunman was hanged, the slain cop's brother said that he had been waiting for his moment for four long years.
Mohammed Ajmal Amir Kasab, the lone terrorist arrested in the November 26 terror attacks in Mumbai, was on Monday remanded to police custody till February 2 in the Chhatrapati Shivaji Terminus firing case. Kasab has been in police custody since his arrest on the night of November 26 and has been booked in 12 cases by the city police.He was last remanded in police custody on January 4 for his involvement with accomplice Ismail Khan in the shootout at Cama and Albless Hospital.
'There is no need to delay Kasab's execution, he should be shot dead publicly in Mumbai.'
'We met more than 250 prisoners at random and Kasab was one amongst them,' Eknath Khadse said, trying to pacify the BJP's ally in the state, the Shiv Sena, who has taken umbrage to the visit.
The police were able to ascertain that 26/11 accused Jundal and Kasab were together during the preparatory stages in Pakistan and when the operation was being launched. Vicky Nanjappa reports
Following the execution of Ajmal Kasab, the lone surviving terrorist of 26/11 Mumbai attack, Maharashtra government is hoping that it would not have to cough up Rs 21 crore on account of deployment of Indo-Tibetan Border Police.
The Indo-Tibetan Norder Police, which has incurred an expenditure of more than Rs 34 crore on the security of 26/11 attack terrorist Ajmal Kasab, will soon move out its men who guarded him in Arthur Road prison in Mumbai.
Pakistani security and intelligence agencies on Wednesday barred journalists and television cameramen from entering Ajmal Kasab's hometown in Punjab province, hours after the lone surviving terrorist involved in the Mumbai attacks was hanged in a Pune jail.
"The first thing that comes to my mind is what happened is good. We are happy that we have got justice," wife of a railway ticket collector, who was killed in the 26/11 Mumbai carnage, said today reacting to Pakistan terrorist Ajmal Kasab's hanging.
Maharashtra Home Minister R R Patil has confirmed the execution.
Judge M L Tahiliyani, while deciding on the date for the start of the trial, said a lawyer from the Maharashtra Service Legal Authority, Anjali Waghmare, has been appointed to represent him. Tahiliyani informed Kasab that advocate Waghmare from the state legal aid would represent him and another lawyer would be appointed to assist her.
Pakistani gunman Ajmal Kasab on Monday claimed he was not part of the 26/11 attacks conspiracy hatched in Pakistan by Lashkar-e-Tayiba and argued his confession recorded by a magistrate and plea of guilt made before the trial court should be discarded as they were contrary to each other.
The mercy plea of Ajmal Amir Kasab, the lone surviving terrorist of the 26/11 Mumbai terror attack, has been rejected by the government which has sent its recommendation to the President. A top home ministry official said Kasab's mercy petition has been dismissed as he was involved in waging war against India that led to the killing of 166 people.
The Mumbai police on Monday submitted a chargesheet before a special court in Mumbai against Pakistani-origin Canadian businessman Tahawwur Rana for his involvement in the November 2008 terror attacks in the metropolis.
Ajmal Kasab, the lone surviving 26/11 gunman, continued to throw his tantrums before the Bombay high court, which is hearing arguments on confirmation of death sentence awarded to him in the Mumbai attacks case. A day after spitting on the camera after an argument with prison guards and demanding that he should be physically produced in the court, Kasab on Wednesday refused to appear via video link before the HC.
'If we have to restrict and fight terrorism, first and foremost, we have to ensure communal harmony in the country.'
Over a dozen inmates of a jail in Bihar are eagerly waiting for the much sought demand to prepare a hangman's noose, made of the famous 'manila' rope, to hang Mohammed Ajmal Amir Kasab after the Supreme Court on Wednesday upheld the death sentence of the 26/11 Mumbai terror attacks convict.
'The idea was not just to kill those hundreds of people,' historian Ramachandra Guha tells Sheela Bhatt, 'the idea was to provoke people against Muslims. It is really shocking that Pakistan is in denial about what happened in Mumbai.'
Having sought the custody of alleged lashkar-e-Tayiba handler of 26/11 terrorists Abu Jundal from a Delhi court, Mumbai police are now gearing up to confront him with the lone surviving perpetrator of the brazen attacks Ajmal Kasab.
The death sentence awarded to Ajmal Amir Kasab, the lone terrorist arrested during the terror siege on Mumbai in November 2008, will not affect any future talks between New Delhi and Islamabad, Pakistan Foreign Minister Shah Mehmood Qureshi has said.Qureshi clarified that the Mumbai special anti-terror court's judgment against Kasab will not hinder the proposed talks between the foreign ministers of the two neighbouring countries.
In the court's opinion, Kasab has no chance to reform. What is your take on the verdict? Tell us