After facing trial in the Mumbai attack case for nearly six months, the lone surviving Pakistani gunman Ajmal Kasab on Monday said he had 'no faith' in Indian court and made a dramatic plea for transfer of the case to an international court.
Family members of the slain policemen, who laid down their lives fighting terrorists on the November 26 last, said the gunman Mohammed Ajmal Amir Kasab should be hanged without any delay.
Kasab had pleaded guilty to the offence before the court on Monday, and now Judge Tahaliyani will decide if the trial should continue or not.
Ajmal Kasab's trial was no triumph of justice but a shameful demonstration of our inferiority complex, argues Colonel Anil A Athale as he makes a case for reforming our judicial system.
Escorting of Mumbai terror attack convict Mohammed Ajmal Kasab to the city by air was mulled but later it had been shelved as road transport was considered as the safest mode to shift him to the Central jail in Pune, a senior police official said.
Survivors of the 26/11 Mumbai terror attack have expressed happiness over the hanging of Ajmal Kasab, the sole surviving terrorist from the 26/11 terror attack.
A memorial for the security personnel killed in the 26/11 Mumbai attack was unveiled at Bhuinj in Maharashtra's Satara district on Moday in the presence of family members of the martyrs who demanded "immediate" execution of Ajmal Kasab. The Shaheed Smriti Udyan was unveiled in Bhuinj in Satara district, from where braveheart Tukaram Ombale hailed. Ombale's daughter, Vandana, said the memorial is a permanent tribute to the martyrs.
As the lone surviving perpetrator of the Mumbai terror attacks Ajmal Kasab filed a mercy petition before the President against his death sentence, the Bharatiya Janata Party on Tuesday sought to know if the government would delay his execution for "vote-bank politics" or deal with it on a priority basis.
Chander D Sahay, former chief of the India's intelligence agency Research and Analysis Wing, believes that India took the right step by ignoring Pakistan's plea for Kasab's custody. In an interview with rediff.com's Vicky Nanjappa, he explains the motive behind such a request by the Pakistan government.
Ajmal Kasab, the Pakistani terrorist convicted for the 26/11 attack, told the Bombay high court on Wednesday that he had no objection to the state opening arguments on confirmation of death sentence awarded to him for his role in the carnage that killed 166 people.
Pakistan has asked India to send its police officers and magistrates who recorded the statement of Ajmal Kasab, the terrorist sentenced to death for his role in the 26/11 attacks, to testify in a local court.
The Supreme Court on Wednesday upheld the death sentence of 26/11 Mumbai terror attack convict Mohammed Ajmal Amir Kasab, saying that waging war against the country was the primary and foremost offence committed by the Pakistani terrorist.
"The appeal has been drafted and is in final stages of preparation...We are giving finishing touches," advocate Amin Solkar, appointed by the Maharashtra Legal Aid Committee on a directive of the High Court to defend Kasab, told PTI.
About three weeks after his surprise confession, Pakistani terrorist Mohammed Ajmal Amir Kasab, the prime accused in the 26/11 terror attacks, today told the court that he wanted to plead guilty to all the charges framed against him.
The hanging shifts focus to bringing the 26/11 masterminds to justice. Vicky Nanjappa reports
Divya Salaskar, the daughter of slain encounter specialist Vijay Salaskar, who fell to terrorists' bullets in the 26/11 attacks, talks to rediff.com's Prasanna D Zore about the hanging of Ajmal Kasab
Two Pakistani journalists, arrested for allegedly misappropriating a press club's funds, have claimed that authorities are 'teaching them a lesson' for helping reporters trace the family of Ajmal Kasab, the lone terrorist captured alive during the Mumbai terror siege in November last year.
The death sentence given to Ajmal Amir Kasab may take years to be executed as the lone captured terrorist of Mumbai attacks could be 30th in the list of prisoners who are waiting to be sent to the gallows. Thursday's order by judge M L Tahaliyani is the first step of a long process which will include appeals before higher courts and most importantly, if he exercises his right, a clemency petition before the President.
Lashker-e-Tayiba commander Zakiur Rehman Lakhvi, who is facing trial with six others for his alleged involvement in the Mumbai terror attacks, has filed a petition in Pakistan's Supreme Court, asking it to bar the prosecution from using Ajmal Amir Kasab's confessional statement against him. The petition was filed by Lakhvi's counsel in the Lahore Registry of the Supreme Court on Wednesday. It asked the apex court to bar the prosecution from using Kasab's confession.
The acts of Ajmal Kasab, the lone terrorist arrested during the terror siege in Mumbai, and the other accused in the 26/11 attack amounted to 'waging a war against India', which is punishable by the death penalty or life imprisonment, the prosecution argued in a trial court on Wednesday. "By firing at people indiscriminately in Mumbai, Kasab and the other conspirators wanted to destabilise the government and break political and economic order," said Public Prosecutor Nikam.
Pakistani gunman Ajmal Kasab's lawyer Abbas Kazmi tendered an unconditional apology, on Friday, to the trial court hearing the Mumbai attack case for his remark that he did not care about affidavits of witnesses filed by the prosecution.
The death sentence to Ajmal Amir Kasab, the lone surviving Pakistani gunman of the 2008 Mumbai terrorist attack, received wide coverage on Thursday in the US media, which for the past few days has been focused on the Times Square bomb case involving a Pakistani American.
Mohammed Ajmal Amir Kasab, the lone surviving terrorist in the Mumbai terror attack who was held guilty on Monday, is a school dropout who saw Jihad as the purpose of his life.Kasab, the face of the devastating terror siege on Mumbai in which 166 persons were killed, took part in the bloodiest episode of the 60-hour siege that started on the night of November 26, 2008.
Terming the Supreme Court order upholding Ajmal Kasab's death sentence in Mumbai attacks case as "inevitable", Law Minister Salman Khurshid rejected suggestions of delay in the final verdict saying a country governed by rule of law cannot mete out street justice.
Pakistan has sought the Interpol's help to get custody of Ajmal Kasab, the lone terrorist arrested during the terror siege on Mumbai in November, 2008, and his associate and fellow Lashkar-e-Tayiba operative Fahim Ansari. Kasab and Ansari are being tried by a special anti-terror court in Mumbai for their role in planning and carrying out the 26/11 attack. The prosecution and defence lawyers have already presented their final arguments.
Lone surviving Pakistani gunman of the 26/11 Mumbai attacks Ajmal Kasab on Monday occasionally gave irrelevant answers to questions asked by the special judge, who cut him short and advised him to reply correctly.
26/11 attacks prosecutor Ujjwal Nikam speaks about the unique trial of Ajmal Kasab and two other accused in the case.
Forgiving the convicted Pakistani terrorist, the American survivors of 26/11 terror attack on Thursday said death penalty is not a solution for Ajmal Kasab, instead he could be rehabilitated.
The lawyer of Pakistani terrorist Ajmal Amir Kasab said that he has the right to appeal against the death sentence served on him for Mumbai terror attacks but a decision was not taken as he has not spoken to his client.
Nikam, who has an enviable track record of securing death penalty for 37 accused and life term to 627 in his career spanning over three decades, is confident that Kasab, the lone 26/11 gunman captured, will be punished despite his repeated attempts to "misguide" the court.
Ajmal Amir Kasab, the lone terrorist caught alive during the November 26, 2008 attacks in Mumbai, has retracted from his guilt plea made in the trial court last July.
The retraction of confession by Ajmal Kasab, the lone surviving terrorist arrested during the terror strike in Mumbai last year, will not have any effect on the ongoing trial in the case, Special Public Prosecutor Ujjwal Nikam told mediapersons on Friday.Nikam made the comments in the wake of Kasab -- who deposed for the first time today -- claiming that he was arrested by the Mumbai police days before the 26/11 terror strike and his confessions had been taken by force.
Defending Ajmal Kasab, the prime accused in the Mumbai terror attacks case, has been a difficult assignment for his lawyer Abbas Kazmi, who has complained about the lack of privacy during discussions with his client. Asked about how Kasab came across during these discussions, he said, "We talk only about the case and its legal aspects. He has never opened up or conveyed his feelings." Kazmi claimed there was no evidence to show that Kasab was a habitual criminal.
Pakistani gunman Ajmal Kasab has complained to the 26/11 terror trial court that food given to him in jail is laced with tranquilisers but medical experts have said there is no truth in his allegations, special public prosecutor Ujjwal Nikam said in Mumbai on Wednesday.
Clearing the air on why all three top officials -- Anti-Terrorism Squad (ATS) chief Hemant Karkare, Additional Commissioner of Police (ACP) Ashok Kamte and encounter specialist Vijay Salaskar who succumbed to bullet injuries -- were sitting in one vehicle, Mumbai Joint Commissioner of Police (Crime) Rakesh Maria said: "Given the circumstances they sat together in the police vehicle, which was available to them."
A Pakistan court declaring Ajmal Kasab an absconder and issuing a non-bailable warrant against him have proved beyond doubt that the gunman is a Pakistani and had taken part in 26/11 Mumbai attacks, special public prosecutor Ujjwal Nikam said Monday.
India on Monday handed over a letter written by the only surviving terrorist involved in the Mumbai terrorist attacks, Ajmal Amir Kasab to Pakistan's acting High Commissioner Afrasiab, in which he states that he is a 'Pakistani'. In his letter, Kasab also says the other nine involved in the attack were also Pakistani nationals and that he wants to meet the Pakistan High Commissioner.
Also, there are many other important aspects of evidence, which the prosecution has to adduce to expose terrorist infrastructure of perpetrators of the crime, he said, adding they will not let Kasab succeed in his 'motive' of escaping with lesser punishment.
Ever since the trial began in May, Kasab, a fourth standard dropout of an Urdu medium school, has been keenly observing the proceedings and picked up bits of English and even Marathi as witnesses, lawyers and the judge speak in these languages although the evidence is recorded in English.
Pakistani gunman and prime accused in the 26/11 terror attack case, Mohammed Ajmal Kasab, is not keeping well since the last few days and was on Wednesday sent back to his cell by the court in the midst of the proceedings