The Indian team, which is in the UK for a five-Test series, is continuing its 20-day break as of now even as England's ODI team has been forced into isolation after the outbreak of COVID-19 in its squad.
Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) chairman Ehsan Mani is against the idea of someone from among the 'big three' nations of India, England and Australia becoming the next ICC chairperson, saying it would be "healthier" for the game to select someone from other boards.
'Unlike before, the players cannot just go out in the evenings after a long day in the field. This is where it is very important that the families are there to help the players switch off after play and not feel the heat. The BCCI has always had the interest of the players in mind and this time too the board stood like a rock to help get the necessary clearance from the UK government with assistance from the ECB.'
The proposed standalone Test between India and England should be treated as the series-deciding fifth match that was cancelled last week owing to a COVID-19 outbreak in the Indian camp, BCCI president Sourav Ganguly said on Monday and ruled out the possibility of it being treated as a one-off game.
Buttler, Morgan's non-participation in remainder of IPL could save KKR, Royals the blushes
The final of the World Test Championship between India and New Zealand in June will be staged in a bio-secure bubble at the Hampshire Bowl in Southampton, the International Cricket Council said said on Wednesday.
However, even if the BCCI eventually decides to organise a tournament modelled on the Hundred, it will not be able to do so before 2023.
Anderson, 36, left the field during a County Championship match against Durham after he felt tightness in his right calf and underwent an MRI scan on Friday which confirmed a muscle tear.
Mitch Claydon has been suspended by his county side Sussex for allegedly applying hand sanitiser on the ball.
The ICC currently only allows a player to be replaced during a match because of concussion. Under the proposed change, a late substitution would also be allowed on coronavirus grounds.
England's players will wear the names of selected COVID-19 workers with cricketing backgrounds on their training shirts during the upcoming Test series against West Indies in recognition of their selfless services. The England and Wales Cricket Board (ECB) has announced that the three-match Test series, to be played behind closed doors at The Ageas Bowl and Old Trafford due to the pandemic, will be named "raise the bat" series as a tribute to those on the frontline.
Lord's, Oval, Edgbaston and Emirates Old Trafford are understood to be part of the group who wrote to the ECB expressing their interest.
Spinner Dom Bess was named in England's 13-man squad for the first Test against West Indies and there was no place for Moeen Ali among nine reserves, the England and Wales Cricket Board (ECB) said on Saturday.All-rounder Ben Stokes will lead England in the match, which will begin at the Ageas Bowl in Southampton on Wednesday in a bio-secure environment amid the COVID-19 pandemic.
'I don't think he has spoken to (ECB chief executive) Tom Harrison. I have spoken to Tom and we have stuff running in the background.'
India posted 153/6 in their 20 overs after winning the toss and England chased the target down in 18.4 overs to clinch the series
Pakistan have been let down by the "Western bloc" and the back-to-back pullouts by New Zealand and England could have a "domino effect" for cricket in the South Asian country, Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) chairman Ramiz Raja said.
The spectator, in a letter of complaint to the ECB, also said women were subjected to sexist chants while homophobic abuse was directed at some players by the same group of people.
Players will undergo temperature checks and observe social distancing guidelines as laid out by the government. With dressing rooms, players and support staff will need to arrive in full kit for training.
Benchmark stock indices opened the week on a muted note on Monday, with the Sensex plunging nearly 483 points due to selling in IT, capital goods and banking shares amid losses in global equities. The Sensex tanked 482.61 points or 0.81 per cent to settle at 58,964.57. During the day, it tumbled 552.78 points or 0.92 per cent to 58,894.40. The 50-issue Nifty declined by 109.40 points or 0.62 per cent to finish at 17,674.95 as 29 of its stocks declined.
England cricketers have been warned not to hurl the ball close to batsmen after pacer Stuart Broad was fined 50 per cent of his match fees during the third day's play in the second Test against Pakistan at Edgbaston on Sunday for hurling the ball at Pakistan wicketkeeper Zulqarnain Haider.
West Indies beat England by four wickets on the final day of the first international Test since the coronavirus break on Sunday, taking a 1-0 lead at the Ageas Bowl in a three-Test series thanks to a 95-run knock by Jermaine Blackwood.
The British government said on Friday that recreational cricket which has been suspended due to the COVID-19 pandemic will be allowed to resume from July 11. Prime Minister Boris Johnson said he would set out a timetable next week for when amateur cricket can return as well as the reopening of indoor gyms and swimming pools which were closed due to the coronavirus lockdown.
The Emirati organisers of this year's Indian Premier League are hopeful of at least some fan presence in the stands during the matches, a top official said. The Emirates Cricket Board (ECB) is finalising preparations to host the world's richest Twenty20 league from September 19 after India's struggle to contain the COVID-19 surge prompted its relocation.
The Ireland squad will arrive in England and set up their base at the Ageas Bowl, Southampton on July 18, before facing world champions England in three ODIs at the same venue.
Meanwhile, the entire visiting contingent has detected negative for coronavirus in their second PCR COVID-19 test done on Friday.
Curran, who was rested for the first two matches, was due to fly to Ahmedabad in time for the fourth Test, which begins on March 4, but will instead arrive with the limited-overs squad.
Jos Buttler will captain England in Morgan's absence.
'This will be the first time since 2005 that an England team has toured Pakistan and as such it represents a significant moment for both nations.'
ECB's Harrison said the board was getting used to the idea of hosting cricket in empty stadiums.
Jofra Archer was England's leading wicket taker in their victorious World Cup campaign with 20 wickets and he made his Test debut against Australia, picking up 22 wickets in four Ashes Tests.
England have named uncapped seam bowler Ollie Robinson in their 14-man squad to replace all-rounder Ben Stokes for the second Test against Pakistan starting on Thursday, the England and Wales Cricket Board (ECB) said on Wednesday.
India not fielding a team for the final Test against England had nothing to do with the rescheduled Indian Premier League which left no room for the match to be postponed, England and Wales Cricket Board (ECB) CEO Tom Harrison said on Friday.
The ECB did not specify the nature of the breach but said the West Indies team were satisfied with the measures taken.
The England and West Indies players took a knee in support of the Black Lives Matter movement before the start of play in the first Test at Southampton on Wednesday as international cricket returned after almost four months. Rain delayed the start of the first Test before England captain Ben Stokes won the toss and elected to bat.
The second match of the four-game series was postponed on Tuesday when four more UAE players tested positive for the novel coronavirus, taking the total to seven COVID-19 cases.
Pakistan will be competing in a three-Test and three-T20 series starting July 30 in a bio-secure environment owing to the threat posed by the COVID-19 pandemic.
Former Pakistan skipper Rashid Latif believes the four-nation tournament proposal revealed by BCCI president Sourav Ganguly will f'lop' like the Big Three model. The former Pakistan wicketkeeper saw it as an attempt by the formidable trio of India, Australia and England to isolate other member nations.
All teams now have one wild card pick each to fill their final slots in June.
'Although the protocols might seem very severe, they've had to put those in place to get government approval for these games to happen'