Around 150 NDRF personnel have been scanning the river on speed boats. But the strong current in the swollen river has made their task difficult.
According to a three-year-old article published in Lokmat, the bridge was in a terrible condition and the National Highways Authority who were aware of the condition did nothing to fix it.
A team of BJP leaders visited over 15 families of the deceased in Raigad and Ratnagiri districts and offered jobs to the kin of the victims.
With this, the death count in the August 2 night tragedy has gone up to 28, while 12 people are still missing.
The National Disaster Response Force, Navy and Coast Guard officials have so far been able to locate only a signboard of one of the missing ST buses .
A fresh search operation involving multiple agencies and local divers was launched on Saturday morning.
"It is shocking that such an accident can take place even after a structural audit. Primary responsibility will be fixed by this evening. I have asked civic chief (Ajoy Mehta) to find out names of those responsible," Fadnavis said.
26 bodies have been recovered while nearly 14 are still missing following the bridge collapse on Mumbai-Goa Highway on August 2.
The British-era bridge across Savitri river, whose collapse claimed 26 lives, was to be dismantled in December this year as part of Mumbai-Goa highway expansion project.
The Coast Guard has deployed a Chetak Helicopter to carry out search operation for missing vehicles.
The town in the Raigad district received 224 mm rainfall since yesterday.
The wreckage is 400 meters from the bridge in an area where strong currents are observed.
A recap of events that occurred in India in the past 24 hours.
The death toll in the Mahad bridge collapse incident has reached 28 after navy divers on August 14 found the wreckage of a washed away SUV and recovered two bodies trapped inside it on August 14.
"After a long search and working 12-14 hours a day for the last 8 days, the Naval teams have located two bus wreckage submerged in water at Mahad," said Defence spokesperson, Rahul Sinha, in a statement.
Two more bodies were on Sunday found in the search and rescue operations which continued for fourth day following the collapse of a bridge on Mumbai-Goa highway near Mahad in Raigad district, taking the death toll to 26.
Here's a recap of events that occurred in India in the past 24 hours.
A fresh search operation, involving multiple agencies and local divers, will be launched on Saturday morning
Little attention is being paid to keep roads, bridges and flyovers in good shape
Earlier on Thursday morning, a 300 kg magnet was lowered with the help of a crane in the river to trace the missing buses.
Looking for travel inspiration as you plan your summer vacation? Here's help.