Rediff.com  » Sports » Shorts: Cueist O'Sullivan smashes World Championship record

Shorts: Cueist O'Sullivan smashes World Championship record

August 03, 2020 23:02 IST
Get Rediff News in your Inbox:

British snooker player Ronnie O'Sullivan

IMAGE: British snooker player Ronnie O'Sullivan. Photograph: Alex Pantling/Getty Images

Five-times champion Ronnie O'Sullivan was in imperious form at the World Snooker Championship when he beat first round opponent Thepchaiya Un-Nooh of Thailand 10-1 in 108 minutes to set the record for the fastest match in Crucible history on Monday.

O'Sullivan, who led 8-1 at the close of play on Sunday, stayed true to his nickname 'The Rocket' when he won the two frames needed in less than 30 minutes to become the first man to win a match in under two hours.

 

The record was previously held by England's Shaun Murphy who blanked China's Luo Honghao 10-0 in the first round last year in 149 minutes but O'Sullivan smashed the record by 41 minutes, after which he brushed aside his achievement.

"I'm not really bothered by records, I stopped bothering about records when I reached them and they didn't really give you that buzz for very long," O'Sullivan, 44, said after the match where he had two century breaks.

"They're nice when you're chasing them but once you get them they're overrated in many ways. So I think you just take each game as it comes and it's just nice to be out there playing some snooker."

The Englishman will play Ding Junhui of China in the second round.

O'Sullivan courted controversy before the tournament when he said players were being treated like "lab rats" at the World Championship as he questioned a decision to allow spectators into the Crucible Theatre amid the COVID-19 pandemic.

However, when coronavirus infections started to spike in the country, the British government made a U-turn on its decision to allow fans to attend selected trial events, designed to 'stress test' new guidelines on a return to regular live sport.

Doha Diamond League meeting brought forward

This year's Diamond League athletics meeting in Doha, initially scheduled for Oct. 9, has been brought forward by a fortnight and will take place on Sept. 25, organisers announced on Monday.

The event in Doha, which serves as the traditional season opener, had previously been pushed back from its April 17 slot due to the COVID-19 pandemic.

"Due to the ongoing global health situation and ever-changing COVID-19 regulations, the 2020 Wanda Diamond League calendar remains provisional and subject to further changes," organisers said in a statement.

The competitive season is set to begin in Monaco on Aug. 14 followed by meetings in Stockholm, Lausanne, Brussels, Rome/Naples, Doha and a yet to be determined location in China.

Diamond League meetings in Eugene, London, Paris, Rabat, Gateshead and Shanghai have been cancelled.

Get Rediff News in your Inbox:
Source: source
© Copyright 2020 Reuters Limited. All rights reserved. Republication or redistribution of Reuters content, including by framing or similar means, is expressly prohibited without the prior written consent of Reuters. Reuters shall not be liable for any errors or delays in the content, or for any actions taken in reliance thereon.
SHARE THIS STORYCOMMENT