Rebecca Raleigh, an American citizen, the first suspected SARS patient in India is recovering well at the Kasturba hospital in Mumbai.
"She is much better this (Tuesday) morning as compared to yesterday evening. She took her dinner last night and also breakfast this morning. She is responding very well to treatment," Dr R M Kathuria, Executive Health Officer of the Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation, told rediff.com
However, doctors are not certain that Rebecca is suffering from Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome (SARS).
"I can only comment on that after two days. There are several tests to be done and it won't be appropriate for me to make any judgement on her health at this stage," Dr Kathuria said.
He did reveal that Rebecca is an asthma patient.
The doctors at the hospital are taking several precautions while treating Rebecca. She has been kept in a separate ward and all the guidelines issued by the World Health Organisation are being followed.
The hospital staff, specially those treating her, is wearing protective masks.
Asked if the staff at the hotel where Rebecca was based would also be told to take precautionary treatment, Dr Kathuria said, "Let us first confirm whether she is actually a SARS patient."
Rebecca had been to South East Asian countries before coming to India. She fell sick after landing in Mumbai.
She told doctors at the Jaslok hospital that she was feeling cold and was suffering from fever. The latter advise her to get admitted at the Kasturba hospital which has a special ward for suspected SARS patients.
Rebecca arrived in Mumbai on April 6 and was putting up at a hotel in south Mumbai.
Experts from the National Institute of Virology, Pune have also come down to Mumbai to assist the doctors deal with any unforeseen circumstances.