You are here: Rediff Home » India » News » Report
Search: The Web
  Discuss this Article   |      Email this Article   |      Print this Article

Kafeel Ahmed succumbs to burns
Get news updates:What's this?
August 03, 2007 08:43 IST

One of the key men accused in the failed June 30 car bomb attack at the Glasgow international airport -- Kafeel Ahmed -- has succumbed to his wounds at the special burns unit of the Glasgow Royal Infirmary, British police said.

''We can confirm that the man seriously injured during the course of the incident at Glasgow airport on Saturday June 30 has died in Glasgow Royal Infirmary,'' a Strathclyde Police spokesman said last night.

''The man died earlier this evening and the circumstances surrounding the death have been reported to the procurator fiscal,'' the spokesman added.

At 0530 IST the Strathclyde police confirmed to UNI that the man with 90 per cent burns died two and a half hours ago and the ''circumstances surrounding the death had been reported to the procurator fiscal and no further information would be available until this (Friday) morning."

Kafeel, 27, suffered 90 per cent burns to his body in the attack at Scotland's biggest airport, which came a day after two linked attempted bombings in London [Images] a day earlier.

Kafeel, an engineer from Bangalore in India, was the driver of a sports utility vehicle, packed with gas canisters, which crashed into the front of Glasgow airport, setting the SUV and part of the building ablaze.

He was one of two men held at the airport after the Jeep was rammed repeatedly into the main terminal building and burst into flames.

He was in a critical condition and was being kept under armed police guard in a hospital specialist unit.

The Glasgow airport attack came the day after bungled bombing attempts in London, when two cars packed with gas canisters and nails were left in the city centre, one outside a popular nightclub and the other near Trafalgar Square.

Three male doctors are in British custody charged in connection with the failed attacks.

One of them is Ahmed's brother Sabeel, 26. He appeared in court last month and was remanded until August 13 charged with withholding information on terrorism.

Two others were remanded in custody on greater charges, including Iraqi doctor Bilal Abdulla, 27, who was also arrested at Glasgow airport. Prosecutors say he conspired with Kafeel in the incident.

Kafeel was initially treated at the Royal Alexandra Hospital, Paisley, but was transferred to Glasgow Royal Infirmary within a few days of the attack.

 Email this Article      Print this Article

© 2007 India Limited. All Rights Reserved. Disclaimer | Feedback