Home > News > Tsunami Strikes > Report
How you can help tsunami victims
Tanmaya Kumar Nanda in New York |
December 27, 2004 23:31 IST
Last Updated: December 28, 2004 22:46 IST
While the government is still slow with publicising details of how people can help those affected by tsunamis that hit south India on Sunday morning, bloggers in India and elsewhere seem to be doing their bit.
Some like this one, are educating potential donors and volunteers on the options before them. Notably, it does not focus on India alone.
According to messages posted on this site, Médecins Sans Frontières is among the NGOs organising volunteers, financial aid and experts for affeted areas in Asia. Some individuals have also got into the act.
The Bharatiya Janata Party announced an Emergency Relief Fund for Indians affected by the tsunami, in New Delhi on Tuesday. A central committee has been appointed to oversee the operations. People who wish to contribute can contact local BJP offices, which will send the material to the party's headquarters in Delhi.
Indian Americans too have started organising aid efforts. The National Federation of India Organizations has already collected about $10,000 from its charitable accounts and is aiming for $100,000. Those wishing to send money toward relief efforts can do so to the following organisations:
1. BAPS Care International
Contact: Shailendra Adroja; 1-732-744-1744
Checks payable to: BAPS Care International
195, Main Street, Suite # 304
Payments can also be made online (beginning later this afternoon, EST) at
2. Association for India's Development:
Contact: Aniruddha Vaidya, 1-650-996-8249, 1-888-TALK-2-AID or (301) 422-4441
Contributions to AID can be made through secure on-line credit-card deductions from AID's website (www.aidindia.org), where further details and updates will also be posted. Please indicate that your contribution is for the "Relief and Rehabilitation Fund".
Checks payable to "AID" can be mailed to:
AID Zone 3,
P.O. Box 4801
Mountain View, CA 94040-0801
(Please indicate "Relief and Rehabilitation Fund" in the check memo)
3. The National Federation of India Organizations
Contact: Rajen Anand (703) 642-3156, (562) 537-1077
Checks (tax-deductible) will be sent to the International Red Cross for the use of ALL victims in all countries.
Checks payable to: NFIA
6912 Winter Lane,
Annandale VA 22003.
4. The Hindu Temple Society of North America
Contact: Dr Uma Mysorekar (718) 460-8484
Checks (tax deductible) payable to: The Hindu Temple Society of North America
Hindu Temple Society of North America
45-57 Bowne Street
5. American Hindu Association, a tax-exempt organization under Internal Revenue Code, Section 501(c)(3), has set up a fund to raise money for the victims from India and Sri Lanka. The full amount of contribution is tax deductible.
Please make the check payable to, American Hindu Association. In the memo, please mention Tidal waves victims.
American Hindu Association
Tidal waves victims
Madison WI 53705
Contributions to AHA can be made through secure on-line credit-card deductions from AHA's website (www.americanhindu.net/donation), where further details and updates will also be posted.
6. India Development & Relief Fund (IDRF), USA
IDRF has already released $10,000 towards immediate relief efforts and will match dollar-to-dollar your donations up to $50,000. It will channel your generous contributions to Sewa Bharati (Panchvati, Chetpet, Chennai), Jana Sankshema Samiti (Vijaywada, Andhra Pradesh), Vivekanand Kendra and other voluntary NGOs providing relief and rehabilitation to affected families including:
· Medical services
· Distribution of fishing nets, assistance for purchasing and repairing fibre boats
· Repair of diesel engines and supply fuel
· Distribution of textbooks, notebooks and uniforms to students.
· Construction of houses, repair and construction of community infrastructure
Please make check payable to "IDRF" (mention "Tsunami" in the memo) and mail it to: IDRF, 4807 Phebe Ave, Fremont, CA 94555
* Suresh Deopura (510) 573-5100, email@example.com
* Shri Narayan Chandak (309)- 662-8353, Idrf_blg@yahoo.com
* Raghu Verabelli 781-270-2349, firstname.lastname@example.org
* Vijay Pallod (281) 568-4995, email@example.com
Or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Donate on-line through your VISA/MasterCard or Direct Debit from checking account.
IDRF is administered by volunteers without any honorarium or overhead. Thus, 100% of your contribution will be disbursed directly to the NGOs working in the field. Please check out our website http://www.idrf.org for latest information.
7. Sewa International, in association with local organisations, is planning to work for the rehabilitation of families affected by the tsunami waves in India by providing them:
Please send your donations to:
a. Sewa Bharathi Tamil Nadu
Shakti, 1, M V Street, Panchvati, Chetpet, Chennai- 600031,
Ph: 044-28361049, 28360243 E-mail: email@example.com
b. Jana Sankshema Samiti
Madhava Sadhan, Kaleshwara Rao Road, Vijaywada- 520002,
All donations from outside India should be sent to:
Apte Bhavan, 10196, D. B. Gupta Road,
Jhandewala, New Delhi- 110055, India
Ph: 91-11-23517373, 23684445, E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Bank Account No: 21290, State Bank of India,
Jhandewala Extn., New Delhi-110055
Branch Code No: 9371